Open question (M34)

Open question (M34)

warren
warren

July 1st, 2012, 12:07 pm #1

"June 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm"

"I see it exactly the reverse. The 34 of today is light-years better than a 34 of the 1990s. The old guns were crude in comparison to what Diana makes today. Power is up, vibrations are less and the trigger is much better."

THE M34 of today is light-years better than a 34 of the 1990!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the IDIOT that wrote this (TODAY) was an intelligent person (YESTERDAY) at least in my eyes

STOP********* and don't read anymore

this theory debunks the collectors IDEA, why would I buy today when next week what I buy will be BETTER

does this mean my SON will get a better deal??? just because he WAITS for the greatest and the latest and my grandson will be better

HAH, my son wants something from me to give to his son

DO I WANT SOMETHING MY grandson BOUGHT??? Maybe his I-Phone from 2020 but he will still be able to shoot a M34 from the 1990's

warren

July 1st, 2012, 2:45 pm #2

The only thing that might be better on the basic 34 now is the stock, if you don't count the 36/38,the old actions where nicely made.

July 1st, 2012, 3:20 pm #3

"I see it exactly the reverse. The 34 of today is light-years better than a 34 of the 1990s. The old guns were crude in comparison to what Diana makes today. Power is up, vibrations are less and the trigger is much better."

THE M34 of today is light-years better than a 34 of the 1990!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the IDIOT that wrote this (TODAY) was an intelligent person (YESTERDAY) at least in my eyes

this theory debunks the collectors IDEA, why would I buy today when next week what I buy will be BETTER

does this mean my SON will get a better deal??? just because he WAITS for the greatest and the latest and my grandson will be better

DO I WANT SOMETHING MY grandson BOUGHT??? Maybe his I-Phone from 2020 but he will still be able to shoot a M34 from the 1990's

warren

Better Trigger? That would be a long debate, there are pleanty of people out there that say the T01 properly tuned and tweaked is hard to beat. I have one and though it is still stock I can certainly see the potential. Better trigger, perhaps/perhaps not. NEW trigger, yes. No point given.

Older/Cruder? The 34 is famous for the fit and finsh you get for the money. Always has been. 250,000 guns worth of "always". No Point.

Power is up? I'm not sure where that comes from. Like to see some numbers there. ADVERTISED power numbers may be up but ACTUAL power is probably right on the money. No Point.

Vibrations are less? According to the current crowd they are dry as a bone and honk like a goose out of the box. That not withstanding, since the mechanics have remained unchanged since their inception what might we attribute less vibration to? No Point.

Light years better? Poetic license. Subjective opinion. Nice try.

Damn fine gun? No arguement there. Heirloom gun. Heck yes.

Was the last Model T light years ahead of the first Model T?

Flame suit on.

July 1st, 2012, 3:32 pm #4

nice one

good points

and some ??? questionable ones

but at the end, your final analysis is absolutely CORRECT

warren

PS: I miss your post's Appel

and remember "it's 30% the gun and 70% the shooter"

Howard Intveld
Howard Intveld

July 1st, 2012, 3:43 pm #5

Maybe the old craftsman were better than today but with the new CNC machines it ends up being better. Look at when you bought a new car you had to break it in go slower for so meany miles then up the mph and so forth. it was all in the waring in of the piston rings ect. that we don't have now since the CNC has come into play.Howie

July 1st, 2012, 3:45 pm #6

Better Trigger? That would be a long debate, there are pleanty of people out there that say the T01 properly tuned and tweaked is hard to beat. I have one and though it is still stock I can certainly see the potential. Better trigger, perhaps/perhaps not. NEW trigger, yes. No point given.

Older/Cruder? The 34 is famous for the fit and finsh you get for the money. Always has been. 250,000 guns worth of "always". No Point.

Power is up? I'm not sure where that comes from. Like to see some numbers there. ADVERTISED power numbers may be up but ACTUAL power is probably right on the money. No Point.

Vibrations are less? According to the current crowd they are dry as a bone and honk like a goose out of the box. That not withstanding, since the mechanics have remained unchanged since their inception what might we attribute less vibration to? No Point.

Light years better? Poetic license. Subjective opinion. Nice try.

Damn fine gun? No arguement there. Heirloom gun. Heck yes.

Was the last Model T light years ahead of the first Model T?

Flame suit on.

Maybe the T06 trigger and wood stock are better today but everything else has declined. The fit and finish of the internals and the barrels are much worse today inmy opinion. Diana seems to have gone down the mass-production road and their quality control has suffered. The last Diana rifle I purchased was a new T05 M34. After looking at everything from inside and out I realized Diana today is not the same as Diana from yesturday.

July 1st, 2012, 5:47 pm #7

what are the choices??

FLIP a coin and play Heads or Tails

play Russian Roulett

open that door instead of this one??

play Chicken in a car with 2 opposite cars racing against each other at 90 MPH

.177 VS. .22 cal

the real STORY is that the craftmen of yesterday are dead and we depend of MASS production to make the price low in a competitive market

quality VS. quantity, Amazon, Walmart, Nex flix, etc.. dominate the markets

SURPRISE!

WAKE UP!!

I liked yesterday better that what tomorrow will offer since I can UNDERSTAND what happenned yesterday but cannot explain what will happen in the future

the question remains; AM I RIGHT or wrong and that is a 50/50 one

July 1st, 2012, 5:57 pm #8

Maybe the T06 trigger and wood stock are better today but everything else has declined. The fit and finish of the internals and the barrels are much worse today inmy opinion. Diana seems to have gone down the mass-production road and their quality control has suffered. The last Diana rifle I purchased was a new T05 M34. After looking at everything from inside and out I realized Diana today is not the same as Diana from yesturday.
I've had at least a dozen 34 iterations in the past 8 years, with the exception of the .22 Panther from ARH, the 34 I got two weeks ago is quite a bit better than 11 of twelve-ish. Amazing 34 TO6 Classic in 5.5 caliber. Fit and finish very acceptable(well above what I expected), way more power than the average 34(hot one), offhand accurate(with irons mind you) and an unbelievably smooth shot cycle(plans were to kit it, won't be happening. It's That good)
I got my $$$ worth and then some!
Is it a world beater? no.
Is it a "looker"? no not really, but was it intended to be so? It is utilitarian. Use it as is or gussy it up to your satisfaction.
Beautiful in it's own way.
Can it hold it's own? danged straight!
I'll have to agree with warren on this - value and quality are on an upswing. Two characteristics seemingly missing at the M34's price point.

Jeff C.
Jeff C.

July 1st, 2012, 5:59 pm #9

warren

Many of the actions they sell now would hit the scrap pile in the old days. The bluing was also nicer back then. The tolerances were closer and the pistons were built way better than now. The machine marks in the wings and other places now are horrendous. The ends of the barrels and breaches in some guns deplorable. They never would have hit the streets like that in days of yore. You gotta be kidding us.
The T01, T05, and T06 all great triggers.

July 2nd, 2012, 2:12 am #10

what are the choices??

FLIP a coin and play Heads or Tails

play Russian Roulett

open that door instead of this one??

play Chicken in a car with 2 opposite cars racing against each other at 90 MPH

.177 VS. .22 cal

the real STORY is that the craftmen of yesterday are dead and we depend of MASS production to make the price low in a competitive market

quality VS. quantity, Amazon, Walmart, Nex flix, etc.. dominate the markets

SURPRISE!

WAKE UP!!

I liked yesterday better that what tomorrow will offer since I can UNDERSTAND what happenned yesterday but cannot explain what will happen in the future

the question remains; AM I RIGHT or wrong and that is a 50/50 one

Warren,

You are wrong. Craftsmanship is alive and well. HW, AA, Theoben and others deliver quality out of the box. Sure you might want to install a a piston and spring kit down the road but the above mentioned are still built like a brick house and shoot great stock. The quality has suffered for all but Diana has purposely made a decision to drop the bar even lower. Yes a M34 can be had for less than $200 but when you need to re-work the piece and make it right the cost is no longer $200 or less.