Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes

Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes

June 4th, 2012, 8:36 pm #1

Not very many people have ever offered aftermarket muzzle brakes for RWS sidelevers. If anybody has a picture of an RWS sidelever gun with the factory plastic front removed, please post the picture, so I can see what going on up front mechanically speaking.

About the only maker of these muzzle brakes was Joe McAllister, who did buisness as "MuzzleMack". He went out of buisness about 15 months ago. Now, he appears to be selling muzzle brakes again as "HPA Sports" on ebay. Joe went out of buisness prior to the announcement of Hectors .20 caliber 54 project, and now that I'm in on that, I'm curious...

Are his offerings for the RWS sidelevers any good?

June 4th, 2012, 11:25 pm #2

I forget who made that one for me??
Pretty easy job to remove the sight actually.
the front sight is held on with a grub screw and there are two dovetails that run parallel with the barrel to keep it in vertical position(wanna say they are about 1.5-2" long). You may need to knock off the wings of the dovetails with a bit of 150 grit wet or dry paper to get a brake on. The sight also holds the barrel sleeve on, so size the brake to do the same.

June 7th, 2012, 1:08 pm #3

Not very many people have ever offered aftermarket muzzle brakes for RWS sidelevers. If anybody has a picture of an RWS sidelever gun with the factory plastic front removed, please post the picture, so I can see what going on up front mechanically speaking.

About the only maker of these muzzle brakes was Joe McAllister, who did buisness as "MuzzleMack". He went out of buisness about 15 months ago. Now, he appears to be selling muzzle brakes again as "HPA Sports" on ebay. Joe went out of buisness prior to the announcement of Hectors .20 caliber 54 project, and now that I'm in on that, I'm curious...

I have been thinking about one for a long time to replace the ugly RWS one.

Its lower on my list a HMO piston is first and would have had one already if it was not for Taxes

Bruce

June 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm #4

I forget who made that one for me??
Pretty easy job to remove the sight actually.
the front sight is held on with a grub screw and there are two dovetails that run parallel with the barrel to keep it in vertical position(wanna say they are about 1.5-2" long). You may need to knock off the wings of the dovetails with a bit of 150 grit wet or dry paper to get a brake on. The sight also holds the barrel sleeve on, so size the brake to do the same.
but don't ask me what I had for supper yesterday.

Tim Wilson CustomBrakz was the maker. Quite custom too. Type of gun, I.D./ O.D./length of the brake, length and pitch of the brake to sleeve dimensions as well as how much available air space between muzzle and barrel. Little expensive but the fit and finish was Fantastic. (couldn't find his site so no linkie)

Jeff C.
Jeff C.

June 10th, 2012, 4:11 pm #5

No plastic there.

Jeff C.
Jeff C.

June 12th, 2012, 3:50 pm #6

yesterday and the MB is plastic. They must have changed the brake when they changed triggers. My other 54 and my 52 are the older T01 and they both have the metal snout.

June 12th, 2012, 5:57 pm #7

And I'm not too keen on that.

June 12th, 2012, 6:11 pm #8

a globe front sight easy. You may be able to use Straight Shooters Universal MB. Its oversized with shims. I really don't know diameter of the 52 barrel though. I need to measure that next time i have one apart. At least the dovetails on the 52 will always be concealed so some minor filing is not to big a deal. And no bluing to screw up. I think I used a stone on my 350 mag to fit on a JM brake. After I did that the SS brakes became available again.

June 23rd, 2012, 11:54 pm #9

And I'm not too keen on that.
I just rec. one this wk. and it fits like a glove. Looks good and the bluing is a perfect match to the barrel. I'm pleased! Note; My 54 is a T05 Mfg. early 2008. The front sight housing is a light weight metal casting (pot metal) held in place with one hex screw. Mine was visible, however it could be hidden under the front sight blade. After loosening the the hex screw I had to pull and twist back&forth to get it off. My barrel is 18mm OD with the last 2 3\4" stepped down to 15mm. The top of the barrel at the muzzle has a flat machined at a slight angle that orients the sight housing. This is all hidden by the brake. The brake is 5"long & 1"OD. When installed the rifle is 1 1\2" longer. The brake is held on with two hex screws and comes with an allen key that will also fit the hex screw on front sight housing. Ordered Sat. Received Wed.

June 25th, 2012, 11:30 am #10

Thanks
Bruce