.25 lead pellet molds, Mr. Medina?

.25 lead pellet molds, Mr. Medina?

February 3rd, 2012, 3:12 pm #1

I quote Héctor Medina from the lead recovery thread:

"And, sometime soon, we will get some 0.25" cal pellet molds made."

You know someone was going to ask about this so let's get on with it! What size, weight and design of pellets are you thinking about? Are we talking single, double or sextuple cavity molds?

In another thread you poke fun at those who enjoy casting bullets: "For those survivalists/die-hard Walden-pondians, the 0.25" cal is the smallest caliber where you can reliably cast decent, light, pellets" but since you brought it up I'm beginning to think you might be the Walden-esque of anyone here!

More seriously it does sound like an interesting project to compliment the .25/460 project.

Clark

February 3rd, 2012, 5:53 pm #2

I am designing something that can be cherry-cutter made into a 2 - 3 cavity mould. Why 3? because you need a punch for each of the skirts, a double/triple punch is doable, more is getting tricky.
Head will be a modified Keith SWC.
I am aiming at a weight of about 25-30 grains in a solid nose. It would be interesting to also get a "Georg HollowPointer" type tool.

After the Vipers in 0.177" and 0.22", and quite a lot of projectiles in 0.177", 0.22", 0.30" and 0.357" punched from my Corbin dies, I do have some experience in this.

And yes, I am possibly one of those "closet Walden-Pondians" ROFL!

Good eye!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

February 3rd, 2012, 6:20 pm #3

Hector,

If you can fill a niche for the PCP guys with 35-50gr .25 pellets or bullets, you will make some $. We have the JSB 25.4gr which is extremely accurate in most .25 guns, and we have the 31gr Kodiaks which are more than acceptable in many guns. What we need is ~35 to 45gr pellets or bullets that are accurate. They do not exist. The Eun Jin 43gr are average in most guns, and some of the Barnes (Jerry's) 6 & 7 ring 62-72gr are OK but not great. If you can fill that gap between 35 and 45 or even 50gr, you will be in business. I realize these will not be for Springers, but only moderate-high power PCP's. It's food for thought. What do you think? There a ton of PCP guys looking for a better pellet that's more than 30-31gr. There just aren't any good choices out there. There are 1 or 2 in the 40-50gr range that are reportedly good, but are very expensive IMO. Maybe such heavy pellets are too expensive to produce and make them be accurate, I don't know, but I do know price is everything for the success of a new product. So maybe the lack of heavier pellet choices is because the price would not be attractive(?)..

----
Diana 350 .22
Diana 350 .177
Diana 48 .22
Diana 36 .177
Lemak AF Condor .25
Talon Tunes AF Condor .25
Airhog AF Condor .22
RWS Hammerli 850 .22
Crosman NPSS .22
Diana 5G Pistol
Crosman 2240 Custom
Other Crosman Pump & CO2 .177

February 3rd, 2012, 11:03 pm #4

Sounds like a fun project. Is there a reason you're staying that heavy for an air rifle projectile? It makes sense for the PCP shooters but would seem to be a tough sell to the spring-piston guys. Going with the Keith SWC seems like an unlikely choice but then again, I know next to nothing about making bullets.

You said Corbin dies and after looking them up are we talking about swaging bullets or casting them? When you originally said something about bullet molds I assumed you were talking casting but Corbin looks like a company that deals in swaging bullets. Maybe I'm just confusing things?

Clark

February 4th, 2012, 4:28 am #5

You know someone was going to ask about this so let's get on with it! What size, weight and design of pellets are you thinking about? Are we talking single, double or sextuple cavity molds?

In another thread you poke fun at those who enjoy casting bullets: "For those survivalists/die-hard Walden-pondians, the 0.25" cal is the smallest caliber where you can reliably cast decent, light, pellets" but since you brought it up I'm beginning to think you might be the Walden-esque of anyone here!

More seriously it does sound like an interesting project to compliment the .25/460 project.

Clark
Corbin is a long-time bullet swaging company.  Got their start recycling spent .22lr cases as jackets for centerfire bullets.

Cast pellet will need some post processing for consistency ... sizing dies might be a good ides to ensure reasonable accuracy.

February 4th, 2012, 5:33 am #6

Clark
Fellow swages hollow-based pellets out of round balls.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... n+pellets-

Molding .25 pellets sounds like it will be pretty challenging. That's a fairly small pill and you've got the waist to sort out sort of like a Minie ball. I wouldn't expect you to be nearly as consistent as those from a tin.

Jeff C.
Jeff C.

February 4th, 2012, 4:36 pm #7

Clark
Have a look at these dies. I bet he would make us whatever we want.

Jeff C.
Jeff C.

February 4th, 2012, 4:36 pm #8

February 5th, 2012, 4:43 pm #9

Casting gives you one projectile weight that you may "adjust" in diameter by using different alloys.

Swaging gives you a fixed diameter or two that you can adjust by making the projectile longer o shorter.

I've done both.

Google "Viper Projectiles" to see some of the moulds we have had made, these ones were by Lee Precision:

I have also swaged pellets using Corbin dies.

To accurately shoot swaged pellets you need a non-airgun barrel in the proper caliber.

Cast pellets can be made either in pellet shape or bullet shape, but IMHO, the currrent airgun type barrels need a pellet (diabolo) shaped projectile.

Cast pellets in the smaller calibers cannot be accurately made because the lead has such a high surface tension when liquid that it will not form well all the detailed edges needed for accuracy. You need to start at the 0.25" cal. mark and use a skirt.

A Keith SWC nose will provide good accuracy at the MV's we use. In my Ruger 0.357" silhouette revolver they were accurate out to 300 yards.

Getting into making these pellets as a business is not really in my plans. But perhaps getting the moulds made would be interesting.

We'll see.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

February 5th, 2012, 6:04 pm #10

I've used three-part Minie bullet molds but I don't think that approach is doable with such a small pellet and thin skirt. If you need a waisted pellet, perhaps swaging a round ball (as in the linked photos) and then making some sort of V-shaped roller to form the waist? Then again, you could also make a two part mold to pour a solid diablo and drill out the rear as a second step. Be tedious but possible.

Since the .25 weighs more in the range of small rifle or pistol bullets, have you toyed with the idea of some sort of sabot? A sub-caliber round of the same weight might work.