Why Was This Show So Bizarre?

Why Was This Show So Bizarre?

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 12th, 2007, 6:31 am #1

I notice when I watch Family Affair that many really bizarre things happen.

Such as:

- The kids turn a biohazard dump into a park, and Uncle Bill and the community endorses this but has no concerns at all for the children's health.

- A hamster is strong enough to bust open the closed top door of it's cage. How it even got that high in the first place I'll never know. Perhaps it was bitten by a radioactive spider in the aforementioned biohazard dump/park and thus acquired webcrawling and super-strength abilities. After it busts out the first time, they find it in the sofa and then put it back in the same cage. It later busts out again in the park. Why didn't they get a better cage after the first time it busted out?

- A heir to a foreign country's throne who is just a kid is whisked away to America with a woman who is protecting him, and hidden by Uncle Bill until his family puts down the uprising in his country that ousted his family from power. In the mean time the kid and the woman have to be conscious of agents who are following them around Bill's neighborhood and trying to kill them. As if all that is not bizarre enough on it's own, but also at first the woman does not wanna reveal the secret of who she and the boy are. But Uncle Bill says "I have children to think about therefore I must know". However, when the answer is one that is guaranteed to put the children at great risk - agents going around the neighborhood trying to kill the women and boy - Uncle Bill then says "Sure you can stay with us." What happened to thinking about the children?!

- Sissy is going out with a boy. Then a hotshot other boy comes to visit who works in the Peace Corps. Sissy immediately starts treating the boy she is currently dating like total crap, and then changes their scheduled date. She actually dates the new Peace Corps boy instead, at the time she was scheduled to date the boy she was already dating. And she drags that boy along with her on the date. Immediately after that, Sissy wants to marry the Peace Corps boy. Then the other boy complains to Uncle Bill about how the new boy is ruining his life by stealing Sissy from him --- shouldn't he instead be complaining that Uncle Bill raised a tramp and he is disgusted by her and hopes to never hear from her again? But no - he actually still wanted Sissy to be with him! I don't understand this; even if he ended up marrying Sissy she would just cheat on him, so what's the point? And how come Uncle Bill never talked to Sissy about the immorality of treating boys like slabs of meat as she was doing?

- In one episode a window washer with no harness who cleans the very-high apartment unit's windows always opens the window to Bill's apartment where the kids are. It is like you see in the classic vampire movies where the windows of a young woman are opened all the way at night so that a vampire can come in. He teaches them how to do new math whilst sitting on his bench many, many stories up, with no harness on him. Not only is this extremely bizarre, but also it was posing a huge safety risk to the children who could easily have fallen to their deaths when interacting with him. Especially because they had to hand him their textbooks with the windows completely open and nothing to stop the children from falling out. At the end of the episode Bill comes by and tells the window cleaner not to talk to the children any more - which seemed to to imply something even worse than the sheer bizarreness of it all already had going on.

I have not seen all of the episodes otherwise I'm sure the list could be much, much larger.

How come this show is so bizarre?

Stephen Liss
Stephen Liss

July 12th, 2007, 8:50 am #2

If I can interject here, Cissy’s (actress Kathy Garver’s character in ‘Family Affair’) boyfriend Gregg, was played by my friend Gregg Fedderson who was Don’s son. Don Fedderson was the producer of ‘Family Affair’ among many other TV shows, and had another son, Mike Minor who was a regular (the character Steve Elliot, the pilot who crash lands in Hooterville) on 'Petticoat Junction'. Mike married Linda Henning (the actress who played Betty Jo,) Linda’s father Paul Henning was the Creator and Producer of 'Petticoat Junction' and of course the Fedderson and the Henning families became close. (Linda got me involved in the California Artists Radio Theatre, which was my last gig in the biz.)

Don Fedderson was the producer who hired Johnny Carson for the game show ‘Who do you trust’ when Edgar Bergen had to step down for health reasons. Don then paired Ed McMahon with Johnny in 1957 and told Carson ‘Don’t ever loose him!’ When Johnny Carson would bring his show out to the West Coast, it was in part to visit with the Feddersons. (And in part to go yachting in the Pacific.)

Mr. De Cordova (Johnny Carson’s director along with his brother Dick Carson) worked with Mr. Barton on ‘Leave it to Beaver’ in the late 50’s. And eventually Don Fedderson had him direct some of the Fedderson’s ‘My Three Son’s’ episodes in the late 60’s, before settling in as with the 'Tonight Show' permanently. Mr. Barton was the director of ‘Family Affair’ and good friends with Fred MacMurray whom he directed in ‘The Shaggy Dog’ who was one of the ancestors to the ‘Petticoat Junction’s’ puppies. (Mr. Barton was one of the guys that got my dad and I a union card at Culver Studios, so we could be together!)

Tido (until the divorce, and then Yvonne afterwards) used to have great parties as did Paul and Ruth Henning and Anissa was pretty close to all, (that’s how she got her dog from the ‘Petticoat Junction’ set.) (Tido Fedderson was an actress in the Ten Commandments.) They all were very nice to cast and crew members like me and my dad and I went to more than a few of the events. Guests often included Jerry Lewis, hence his man getting together with Anissa’s man and her appearance early on in the 'MDA Telethon', Jimmy Durante and The Lemon Sisters (who had their own show in 1969.) Mr. Durante (who was so very nice) hosted the Emmy awards and Hollywood Palace with Anissa, and Anissa became close to the Lemon sisters hence the Internet photo of Anissa and Dianne Lemon’s baby girl.

(And just to show what a small world it is, when Paul and Ruth Henning attended Kay St. Germain Wells’ (TV actress and voice of Elsie the cow) granddaughter’s wedding in Tucson, the Photographer was Jerome Scott Larochelle who at the time worked for Ray Manley.)

Yes 1950’s and 60’s TV Sit-Coms have a lot of stretch to them and are best not examined too closely by today’s standards! (Flipper was a great example of that!)

If anyone worked with my dad (who is now gone,) at Desilu or CBS, please let me know, so we can communicate!

As for the individuals that are bothering everyone with a death vigil at the house where Anissa died; I’d spit on you but you would not be worth the saliva.

S. Liss

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 12th, 2007, 9:05 am #3

Mr. De Cordova also directed 'To Rome with Love' and I believe the episode where Anissa and her best friend were together in. If memory serves me well, and usually that's pushing it, it was the only time the Buffy Davis character appeared outside of 'Family Affair'. Buffy's best friend was the original Cunningham daughter in 'To Rome with Love's' pre-quill for 'Happy Days' which eventually went to Erin Moran who I used to play with on the set of 'Family Affair'. God if you put all of the freckles together you could have walked to the moon!

Neil Yandroth
Neil Yandroth

July 12th, 2007, 9:35 am #4

If I can interject here, Cissy’s (actress Kathy Garver’s character in ‘Family Affair’) boyfriend Gregg, was played by my friend Gregg Fedderson who was Don’s son. Don Fedderson was the producer of ‘Family Affair’ among many other TV shows, and had another son, Mike Minor who was a regular (the character Steve Elliot, the pilot who crash lands in Hooterville) on 'Petticoat Junction'. Mike married Linda Henning (the actress who played Betty Jo,) Linda’s father Paul Henning was the Creator and Producer of 'Petticoat Junction' and of course the Fedderson and the Henning families became close. (Linda got me involved in the California Artists Radio Theatre, which was my last gig in the biz.)

Don Fedderson was the producer who hired Johnny Carson for the game show ‘Who do you trust’ when Edgar Bergen had to step down for health reasons. Don then paired Ed McMahon with Johnny in 1957 and told Carson ‘Don’t ever loose him!’ When Johnny Carson would bring his show out to the West Coast, it was in part to visit with the Feddersons. (And in part to go yachting in the Pacific.)

Mr. De Cordova (Johnny Carson’s director along with his brother Dick Carson) worked with Mr. Barton on ‘Leave it to Beaver’ in the late 50’s. And eventually Don Fedderson had him direct some of the Fedderson’s ‘My Three Son’s’ episodes in the late 60’s, before settling in as with the 'Tonight Show' permanently. Mr. Barton was the director of ‘Family Affair’ and good friends with Fred MacMurray whom he directed in ‘The Shaggy Dog’ who was one of the ancestors to the ‘Petticoat Junction’s’ puppies. (Mr. Barton was one of the guys that got my dad and I a union card at Culver Studios, so we could be together!)

Tido (until the divorce, and then Yvonne afterwards) used to have great parties as did Paul and Ruth Henning and Anissa was pretty close to all, (that’s how she got her dog from the ‘Petticoat Junction’ set.) (Tido Fedderson was an actress in the Ten Commandments.) They all were very nice to cast and crew members like me and my dad and I went to more than a few of the events. Guests often included Jerry Lewis, hence his man getting together with Anissa’s man and her appearance early on in the 'MDA Telethon', Jimmy Durante and The Lemon Sisters (who had their own show in 1969.) Mr. Durante (who was so very nice) hosted the Emmy awards and Hollywood Palace with Anissa, and Anissa became close to the Lemon sisters hence the Internet photo of Anissa and Dianne Lemon’s baby girl.

(And just to show what a small world it is, when Paul and Ruth Henning attended Kay St. Germain Wells’ (TV actress and voice of Elsie the cow) granddaughter’s wedding in Tucson, the Photographer was Jerome Scott Larochelle who at the time worked for Ray Manley.)

Yes 1950’s and 60’s TV Sit-Coms have a lot of stretch to them and are best not examined too closely by today’s standards! (Flipper was a great example of that!)

If anyone worked with my dad (who is now gone,) at Desilu or CBS, please let me know, so we can communicate!

As for the individuals that are bothering everyone with a death vigil at the house where Anissa died; I’d spit on you but you would not be worth the saliva.

S. Liss
i think the vigil at Littler Lane is VERY much against the grain with me and my brothers...

but spitting on people??

people who go to remember someone even if the locale is inappropriate??

i think your anger has clouded your words..

informative post, but the sour ending was a shame

Neil

Neil Onofre
Neil Onofre

July 12th, 2007, 5:37 pm #5

S. Liss
You said....

"As for the individuals that are bothering everyone with a death vigil at the house where Anissa died; I’d spit on you but you would not be worth the saliva."

So, you think that just because you and I have a difference of opinion on where a candlelight vigil should be held, you think I deserve to be spat on?

This just goes to show the mindset of SOME of the people here.

It's not a * "Death Vigil" * as you claim. We will be lighting candles at dark to re-light Anissa'a flame so to speak. If you don't want to go then just don't. Nobody is trying to force you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 12th, 2007, 11:26 pm #6

i think the vigil at Littler Lane is VERY much against the grain with me and my brothers...

but spitting on people??

people who go to remember someone even if the locale is inappropriate??

i think your anger has clouded your words..

informative post, but the sour ending was a shame

Neil
He said (and was correct) you weren't woth the spit

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 13th, 2007, 12:53 am #7

Mr. De Cordova also directed 'To Rome with Love' and I believe the episode where Anissa and her best friend were together in. If memory serves me well, and usually that's pushing it, it was the only time the Buffy Davis character appeared outside of 'Family Affair'. Buffy's best friend was the original Cunningham daughter in 'To Rome with Love's' pre-quill for 'Happy Days' which eventually went to Erin Moran who I used to play with on the set of 'Family Affair'. God if you put all of the freckles together you could have walked to the moon!
Really appreciated by the fans! That it is not ashworth friendly if fine. ashworth is not Anissa or this board friendly.

Neil Yandroth
Neil Yandroth

July 13th, 2007, 1:09 am #8

He said (and was correct) you weren't woth the spit
you anonymous attackers are the true villains! you are probably who you claim not to be! the original anti-fan pig!

Neil Yandroth
Neil Yandroth

July 13th, 2007, 3:08 am #9

Really appreciated by the fans! That it is not ashworth friendly if fine. ashworth is not Anissa or this board friendly.
only bugbears now is the different perceptions of the vigil! and anonymous attack posters like yourself too!

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 13th, 2007, 8:27 am #10

I'm positive he or she didn't attack you, I'm positive he or she spoke the truth. And I'm positive it is what you deserve.

If you constantly sling mud don't complain when someone points out that you are dirty! In fact the retrospective of what you do, might do you (and your soul) a world of good!

I, as most others here won't use my name or even an Identity because you will steal it and use it for your own twisted purpose.

And no, I'm not a member of the private forum, I'm one of the poor schmuchs stuck here wallowing in your filth!

If I could get this across to Larochelle I would beseech him to come up with something for those of us who love Anissa and have to suffer through you!

Confirmation of reply: