Why Did Dr. Noguchi Lie To The Press?

Why Did Dr. Noguchi Lie To The Press?

February 9th, 2008, 6:47 am #1

Why did the good doctor lie to the press, or downplay Natalie's drunkeness? He claims in his book, "Coroner to the Stars," that her drunkeness is basically what killed her. The fact that she failed to realize that taking off the heavy jacket would have given her a better chance at survival is evidence that she wasn't thinking right due to being under the influence. Noguchi himself states this in his book, yet he failed to say that in any press conference. Instead, he cowardly tells the press that she was only "slightly" intoxicated. She was over the legal limit by .o4 - that's hardly "slightly." Regardless, it was over the limit, and it definitely played a huge part in this tragedy, and he knew that at the time!

The reason, I believe, he lost his guts to reveal this is because he feared any backlash that would come from this revelation. Coroners need to be truthful with the public on what the cause or causes of death were, no matter how embarrassing to the deceased it may be! Natalie Wood and William Holden weren't going to be around to feel embarrassed, so why not be honest and say something like, "Look, folks, it's like this...and I'm sorry, but that's our finding."

This makes me wonder just how honest coroners are, or if they are influenced in some way by some powerful people not to tell all of the facts. Being honest, is especially true about a famous person's death. The public should know - they made this person the success they were. The only exception should be if there is an unsolved murder, and then, all the details should not be leaked out until the killer is caught.

February 9th, 2008, 7:06 am #2

Also, why did that deputy assistant coroner, Richard Wilson, state that R.J. and Walken's argument was "non-violent"? How did he know? He also led the press to believe it was only minor disagreement and wasn't a heated argument? How did he know?

He also stated that Natalie did not feel threatened, nor felt the need to leave the scene? How did he know?

He wasn't there. He spoke in absolutes, when he neither knew for sure, nor waited until a full and complete investigation had been conducted. He just shot his mouth off and tossed the press a bone to quiet them and hopefully quell any suspicions they had. Well, it didn't work. As soon as they found out about the argument, they put two and two together and concluded, reasonably, that she left the scene BECAUSE of the argument. (She was angry about it, obviously.)

I know that asst. coroner just went by what was said in perliminary investigations, but he spoke as though the case was already closed. That's very unprofessional of an official to do. He should have said, "This is what we've been told so far, but we are still investigating..."

I think the entire investigaton team disrespected poor Natalie because she was "just another big time celebrity" and failed to give her her due justice in the form of a thorough investigation. Everybody investigating the case just seemed to want to rush to judgment and get it over with as soon as possible! It sure doesn't seem like any of them compared notes. Did none of the investigators, including Noguchi's team, not hear the lies pouring out of R.J.'s press release by his lawyer? They knew the timelines didn't mesh with what R.J. was telling the press and public! Why wasn't he called out on this by the investigating teams?

Because they were lazy and disrespectful, that's why! Natalie Wood deserved so much better, and probably would have gotten better had she just been a regular citizen! What a shame!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 9th, 2008, 12:28 pm #3

I told you all of this already...I didn't make it up. I posted all of it more than once. I'm glad that you saw it for yourself. It was quick investigation. By the time it got to Finstad's book and the Vanity Fair it was tainted by time and tabloid. They wrapped that case up in 3 days...and Michael, you are so right when you say that if she were a regular citizen it would have been very different.
Wilson went by what Wagner and Co. told him. When he said "The argument was not over her."...he got that from Wagner, who was lying. He admitted years later that it was over her. Dennis Davern had already revealed this in his Star interviews and Wagner corroborated it in Lambert's book. Wagner told the police an outright lie. in between, Wagner said it was over political issues and when he noticed she was missing he "immediately" called to report her absence...PLEASE...
I recall that the statement by the lawyer caused a lot of confusion. His name was Paul Ziffren. He and Natalie were very close friends...he and his wife, Mickey, were part of Natalie life for many years. Natalie introduced him to Wagner when the got back together. They should have chosen another person to speak for Wagner. Ziffren was obviously shaken because some of what he said did not make sense. That statement raised more questions. It confused the press.
This is why I feel that the best way to look at this is to go back to very beginning rather than read articles that were written 20 years later. It gives you a better idea of what actually took place as far as the investigation is concerned. It gives you a look at the virgin info, the info before the tabloid attack that took place weeks later and lasted over 20 years...

February 9th, 2008, 8:03 pm #4

Well, Maryanne, you don't seem to be able to get past that Vanity Fair article. Well, guess what? My statements here, on this particular subject, did not come from me reading anything in the Vanity Fair article. I still haven't read it all. I've only read a third of it because I've been too busy. I'll read it all on Monday and/or Tuesday, my days off from work.

My statements came after re-reading Dr. N's own book, as well as Finstad's. Dr. N's book came out just a few years after Natalie's death - not twenty years later, as you put it. My statements also are in response to thier attorney's statement to Entertainment Tonight, which was on that U-Tube tape I viewed the other night - also not from twenty years after her death. More like twenty hours after.

I have not, nor will not, read any tabloid material such as your hated "Star" paper, nor will I read that gay author's fabricated account of what happened. Thanks, though, for telling me that RJ confirmed he lied. I would not have known that he revealed that in Lambert's book.

As for you telling me all this already. Well, I'm sorry, but this wasn't just a question for you. It was for the forum, the 750 people that stop by, according to Frank. (LOL)

Besides, I copy these discussions of ours so I can use 'em for my book. I mean, don't worry, I don't quote you or anyone else here, but I use the information I need. I am very appreciated by your valuable help. You just get a bit too emotional, though, sometimes. Also, I suspect I am bi-polar, so I have short-term memory problems. Please don't be offended if we re-discuss topics. Thanks, again, for your help.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 9th, 2008, 11:11 pm #5

I'm not referring to noguchi's book....He was there, he was a huge part of the investigation... i'm referring to articles in ALL magazines and tabloids that were printed.
you misunderstood me. i know that you are referring to the video on youtube...that's the info that needs to be looked at...I'm cool with re-hashing topics...sorry if i appear too emotional..
and yes, wagner, admitted that he did say exactly what davern said he said which was "what are you trying to do beep my wife!"...and he broke a bottle on the table.

February 10th, 2008, 7:50 am #6

Yeah, he also lied to the police and said that the bottle of wine probably got busted as a result of the rough seas.

It irks me that none of the police took the time to call him out on his lies! I guess they figured, "Oh, well, it was still just an accidental drowning, even if Wagner has lied about some things."

YEAH, WELL, WHERE THERE'S SMOKE, THERE'S USUALLY FIRE!!!

February 10th, 2008, 8:02 am #7

It doesn't surprise me that poor Courtney doubted her father's story! Once she found out some of his lies, I imagine she began to wonder, as any normal person would!

He probably told her, "Honey, it didn't effect the end result (accidental drowning), and I did it to protect your mother's reputation." Or some similar B.S. to make her satisfied.

Man, would I have like to have been a fly on the wall when she asked him, "Why did you lie about when you called for help to find my Mommy?"

R.J.: "Sweetheart, we didn't know she was in the water. We figured she went off to mad ashore to the resteraunt or a motel like she did the night before."

Courtney: "Well, had she ever gone off alone in the dark at night in the dinghy?"

R.J.: "Well, no, baby, but she had been drinking, you know. People don't always make rational decisions when they've been drinking."

Courtney: "Why didn't you hear her screaming for help?"

R.J.: "There was a lot of loud noise that night with loud parties, music, and then there were generators running - all which would prevent anyone from hearing her."

HE MAY BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN AWAY HIS ACTIONS TO OTHER PEOPLE, BUT HE WON'T BE ABLE TO TO GOD!

February 10th, 2008, 8:17 am #8

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 10th, 2008, 1:59 pm #9

Today is Wagner's 78th birthday.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 10th, 2008, 5:06 pm #10

It doesn't surprise me that poor Courtney doubted her father's story! Once she found out some of his lies, I imagine she began to wonder, as any normal person would!

He probably told her, "Honey, it didn't effect the end result (accidental drowning), and I did it to protect your mother's reputation." Or some similar B.S. to make her satisfied.

Man, would I have like to have been a fly on the wall when she asked him, "Why did you lie about when you called for help to find my Mommy?"

R.J.: "Sweetheart, we didn't know she was in the water. We figured she went off to mad ashore to the resteraunt or a motel like she did the night before."

Courtney: "Well, had she ever gone off alone in the dark at night in the dinghy?"

R.J.: "Well, no, baby, but she had been drinking, you know. People don't always make rational decisions when they've been drinking."

Courtney: "Why didn't you hear her screaming for help?"

R.J.: "There was a lot of loud noise that night with loud parties, music, and then there were generators running - all which would prevent anyone from hearing her."

HE MAY BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN AWAY HIS ACTIONS TO OTHER PEOPLE, BUT HE WON'T BE ABLE TO TO GOD!
Where did you ever hear that Courtney doubted her father's story??

Confirmation of reply: