The house today

The house today

Jiggy jam
Jiggy jam

March 28th, 2005, 2:36 pm #1

I read somehwere that the house still exists, but it has been changed probably to discourage tourists and onlookers. The address is no longer "112" Ocean Avenue, the number was changed to something else.

Also, the "eye-like" windows were removed and replaced with square windows. All the shutters have been painted black.

March 28th, 2005, 2:52 pm #2

Here is a user-submitted photo of the house as it appeared in 1975. You can see that the house is on a rather small (narrow) lot. The boathouse can also be seen in the photo

March 28th, 2005, 3:08 pm #3

I read somehwere that the house still exists, but it has been changed probably to discourage tourists and onlookers. The address is no longer "112" Ocean Avenue, the number was changed to something else.

Also, the "eye-like" windows were removed and replaced with square windows. All the shutters have been painted black.
Can't confirm the changing of the address. A Yahoo map query shows that 112 Ocean Avenue does indeed exist. Here is the map:

March 28th, 2005, 5:00 pm #4

Here's an image of the house that they'll use for the remake. As I understand it, The production company is using this house because the people of Amityville didn't want the publicity....again! This is an existing house somewhere else in New York (i believe). They added the structure on the second floor of the house to make it somewhat resemble the original house (the eyes part).

Better or worse than the original?

Krystal
Krystal

April 10th, 2005, 12:28 am #5

The house in the 2005 movie remake was found in Wisconsin. They did add on to it to resemble the original. In my opinion it does not look like a dutch colonial.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 11th, 2005, 3:39 pm #6

Today, the home is occupied by a family that is living there in peace. The front of the home, as well as its number on Ocean Avenue, have been changed and despite the regular visits by the curious and believers in the supernatural, life along Ocean Avenue in Amityville is fairly routine. Sometimes a car will pull up in the middle of the night. A passenger will get out and cut away a piece of grass from the home. Sometimes another car will pass in the middle of a hot, summer afternoon, stop and the occupants will stare. Sometimes a deranged individual may even try to break into the home. But mostly, it is just another house in Amityville with nothing more than a horrific history.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2005, 11:28 pm #7

I think the house was beautiful then and if I were to see it now I would feel the same. I don't know if I believe the stories of evil being in the house other then a murderer. I would like to see what the house looks like now in 2005 just to see the beauty of a old home in Amityville N.Y . I have watched the Amityville Horror and plan on seeing the new 2005 movie as well. If someone can get a picture of the home as it is now please post it if you will. Thank You!

Mike
Mike

April 18th, 2005, 2:29 am #8

http://www.findadeath.com/funstuff/Amit ... yville.htm

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 18th, 2005, 4:10 pm #9

Thank You so much I have wanted to see it since I watched the movie....I love older homes I knew it would be just as nice now as it was back in 74.....It was a terriable thing that happened in the home but at least now the people living there are happy and able to enjoy living in such a beautiful place happily.

Melissa
Melissa

May 30th, 2005, 1:15 am #10

Last weekend I was near Amityville and decided to take a ride to check it out. My friend and I found the house and it is indeed on Ocean avenue. I believe the address has been changed from 112 to 108.
The house is not at all spooky looking. It's actually a beautiful house and nice town. It was interesting just to see the real house though. I think the house used in the original movie was a lot scarier.

Confirmation of reply: