The Actual Crash Site

The Actual Crash Site

November 13th, 2009, 3:42 pm #1

We've had a little trouble pinpointing on a map the actual crash site. One report denotes the crash happened on Hwy 90 just SW of the intersection of Old Spanish Trail and Hwy 90 (see red dot in first pic below). This would have meant their car had not yet passed over The Rigolets and the large steel bridge.

According to the Coroner's autopsy report (second pic below, courtesy of findadeath.com) the accident occurred about 1 mile west of The Rigolets (pronounces Rig-a-leez, French for "ditch") or the red "X" in the third photo below... but the coroner's report is not accurate. It is actually about 6 miles west of the Rigolets bridge. How does such an egregious error happen on an official report. The fourth photo below marks the actual crash site on a map.

If any of you Mansfield experts out there have any knowledge of the exact whereabouts the crash took place, we'd greatly appreciate it if you'd let us know.

The below photograph has been updated with what we believe to be the exact location of Jayne Mansfield's crash site. See the video elsewhere in this thread that shows the Jayne Mansfield roadside memorial erected by a fan:
[/IMG]
Last edited by spindaddydad on April 13th, 2011, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 16th, 2009, 4:38 am #2

The death certificate shows that the accident happened in Orleans Parish. If it had occurred in the location shown on the first map, it would have been St. Tammany Parish. Once you crossed the Rigolets and the old bridge, you're in Orleans Parish. That's a strong indication that the second location is correct. Also, all of the news reports mention rounding a curve in the road and coming up on the truck unexpectedly. East of the bridge is a long, straight stretch of road. To the west it's a series of curves. That makes the case for the second location even stronger. Third, the kids were taken to Charity Hospital, in Orleans Parish (and then on to Ochsner, also in New Orleans)rather than to Slidell Memorial which was closer, but in St. Tammany Parish. As a side note, Orleans Parish was (and still is) covered by LSP Troop B, while St. Tammany is Troop L. The children would have been taken to a hospital within the same district as the responding officers. walkerpub.com gives specific directions to the site, from a radio reporter who was at the scene: "TO VISIT WHERE THE CRASH OCCURED: Proceed on U.S. Highway 90 to milepost 292. Go westbound from there 2118 feet and you will be within 20 feet of where the crash occured. There are no phone or electric poles nearby to use as a reference." - according to this, it would be almost exactly where your red X is.

December 18th, 2009, 3:14 pm #3

Thanks Nola,

Your deduction seems accurate. Your knowledge of the area and references make a very strong case that the second map marks the correct location of the crash.

Dave in Slidell
Dave in Slidell

March 31st, 2010, 8:02 pm #4

The death certificate shows that the accident happened in Orleans Parish. If it had occurred in the location shown on the first map, it would have been St. Tammany Parish. Once you crossed the Rigolets and the old bridge, you're in Orleans Parish. That's a strong indication that the second location is correct. Also, all of the news reports mention rounding a curve in the road and coming up on the truck unexpectedly. East of the bridge is a long, straight stretch of road. To the west it's a series of curves. That makes the case for the second location even stronger. Third, the kids were taken to Charity Hospital, in Orleans Parish (and then on to Ochsner, also in New Orleans)rather than to Slidell Memorial which was closer, but in St. Tammany Parish. As a side note, Orleans Parish was (and still is) covered by LSP Troop B, while St. Tammany is Troop L. The children would have been taken to a hospital within the same district as the responding officers. walkerpub.com gives specific directions to the site, from a radio reporter who was at the scene: "TO VISIT WHERE THE CRASH OCCURED: Proceed on U.S. Highway 90 to milepost 292. Go westbound from there 2118 feet and you will be within 20 feet of where the crash occured. There are no phone or electric poles nearby to use as a reference." - according to this, it would be almost exactly where your red X is.
For the past two years, I've grown more and more curious as to the whereabouts of the crash, and I THINK I've narrowed the location down within a hundred feet. I work in New Orleans and live in Slidell, and often Hwy 90 to go home. On many occasions, I've slowed down, stopped, looked at mile posts, got out of the car, whatever. Here are my findings (please pardon the longevity):

I used Bob Walker's page as my primary source of reference, since it appears to be much more accurate and believable than other sites out there.

Bob says to look for mile post 292. Coming from New Orleans and driving east on Hwy 90, the mile markers are few and far between, probably due to Hurricane Katrina. I found markers 283 and 284 and then drove exactly eight miles from marker 284. The eight-mile point took me to the corner of Hwy 90 and Brazellier Island Rd. The Brazellier Island street sign is no longer there, but you can still see the road. It's blocked off with a big yellow gate.

From that point, I turned around and, using my calculator, figured out that Bob's quote of 2118 feet west of the site was right about four-tenths of a mile. I drove that distance, then stopped. There's a sign on the side of the road that reads 'Zone 2.' This location is where I believe the crash happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rigolets is the line that divides Orleans and St. Tammany parishes. The spot I found is about 6.3 miles before you get to the foot of the Rigolets bridge (coming from New Orleans). Bob said the crash occurred 23 miles from downtown New Orleans. This makes sense, since the site I found is about 26 miles from Lee Circle. And yes, that part of the highway is very curvy. The other side of the bridge is straight highway, without a curve for many miles. The reason people think the accident occurred in Slidell is probably because it happened close to the Slidell city line and miles from the heart of New Orleans. But technically, the crash was just a few miles within the New Orleans city limits.

By the way, the car was never driven on Old Spanish Trail, as some sites have reported. There was no need to do so, unless Jayne and her party detoured off Hwy 90 and drove into Slidell. Every indication shows that they stayed on Hwy 90, from the gulf coast all the way to the crash site. Yes, they may have stopped at the old White Kitchen restaurant, but even it was located on 90, on the edge of Slidell.

Bob Walker says he won't answer any emails asking about the location of the crash, but I did drop a line anyway, and asked him if my findings were correct. No reply. The only other possible sources of info that I can think of are the downtown library's newspaper archives, or even NOPD's archives, if you can find someone willing to help you look. If you find out more info before I do, please post it here or send me an email at uptowndave@aol.com.

April 1st, 2010, 2:01 pm #5

Very cool stuff Dave. Thanks for the information.

August 30th, 2010, 2:55 am #6

For the past two years, I've grown more and more curious as to the whereabouts of the crash, and I THINK I've narrowed the location down within a hundred feet. I work in New Orleans and live in Slidell, and often Hwy 90 to go home. On many occasions, I've slowed down, stopped, looked at mile posts, got out of the car, whatever. Here are my findings (please pardon the longevity):

I used Bob Walker's page as my primary source of reference, since it appears to be much more accurate and believable than other sites out there.

Bob says to look for mile post 292. Coming from New Orleans and driving east on Hwy 90, the mile markers are few and far between, probably due to Hurricane Katrina. I found markers 283 and 284 and then drove exactly eight miles from marker 284. The eight-mile point took me to the corner of Hwy 90 and Brazellier Island Rd. The Brazellier Island street sign is no longer there, but you can still see the road. It's blocked off with a big yellow gate.

From that point, I turned around and, using my calculator, figured out that Bob's quote of 2118 feet west of the site was right about four-tenths of a mile. I drove that distance, then stopped. There's a sign on the side of the road that reads 'Zone 2.' This location is where I believe the crash happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rigolets is the line that divides Orleans and St. Tammany parishes. The spot I found is about 6.3 miles before you get to the foot of the Rigolets bridge (coming from New Orleans). Bob said the crash occurred 23 miles from downtown New Orleans. This makes sense, since the site I found is about 26 miles from Lee Circle. And yes, that part of the highway is very curvy. The other side of the bridge is straight highway, without a curve for many miles. The reason people think the accident occurred in Slidell is probably because it happened close to the Slidell city line and miles from the heart of New Orleans. But technically, the crash was just a few miles within the New Orleans city limits.

By the way, the car was never driven on Old Spanish Trail, as some sites have reported. There was no need to do so, unless Jayne and her party detoured off Hwy 90 and drove into Slidell. Every indication shows that they stayed on Hwy 90, from the gulf coast all the way to the crash site. Yes, they may have stopped at the old White Kitchen restaurant, but even it was located on 90, on the edge of Slidell.

Bob Walker says he won't answer any emails asking about the location of the crash, but I did drop a line anyway, and asked him if my findings were correct. No reply. The only other possible sources of info that I can think of are the downtown library's newspaper archives, or even NOPD's archives, if you can find someone willing to help you look. If you find out more info before I do, please post it here or send me an email at uptowndave@aol.com.
I went to the site a couple of days ago. I first went to the Hwy 90 hwy. 190 intersection. I wanted to take a picture of the old White Kitchen restaurant sign. The restaurant itself burned down many years ago. Traveling East, it would be on the right side of hwy. 90 just past the intersection. White Kitchen was a popular place in the 60's and anyone traveling from New Orleans to Mississippi would stop here. This, according to eyewitnesses was the last place Jayne Mansfield and company stopped before that fateful night. Anyhow, I turned around, crossed the Rigolets. Using my hand held GPS, I traveled exactly 6.3 miles and took a photo of the curve I believe where the accident took place. Right near the Zone 2 sign. Hope the photo comes out.

August 31st, 2010, 1:27 pm #7

Great pic Jerry. This seems right as that is a very sharp curve. Easy to see how you could run up on a slow/stopped vehicle in such a hurry... especially in darkness.

Lisa
Lisa

September 18th, 2010, 2:23 am #8

We've had a little trouble pinpointing on a map the actual crash site. One report denotes the crash happened on Hwy 90 just SW of the intersection of Old Spanish Trail and Hwy 90 (see red dot in first pic below). This would have meant their car had not yet passed over The Rigolets and the large steel bridge.

According to the Coroner's autopsy report (second pic below, courtesy of findadeath.com) the accident occurred about 1 mile west of The Rigolets (pronounces Rig-a-leez, French for "ditch") or the red "X" in the third photo below... but the coroner's report is not accurate. It is actually about 6 miles west of the Rigolets bridge. How does such an egregious error happen on an official report. The fourth photo below marks the actual crash site on a map.

If any of you Mansfield experts out there have any knowledge of the exact whereabouts the crash took place, we'd greatly appreciate it if you'd let us know.

The below photograph has been updated with what we believe to be the exact location of Jayne Mansfield's crash site. See the video elsewhere in this thread that shows the Jayne Mansfield roadside memorial erected by a fan:
[/IMG]
I am very confused about the actual accident scene...based on someone who said he was a radio announcer and went to the scene at the time of the crash. He says that it was about 1500 feet west of mile marker 292 on Hwy 90. All reports, including this death certificate, says it was approx. 1 mile west of Rigolets bridge. Mile marker 289 is right after you leave the Lake Catherine bridge going west, in front of Venetian Isles subdivision. Mile marker 282 is right before you get to Hwy 90 and Old Gentilly Rd intersection, not to far from Nasa. So if the accident happened right past mile marker 292 going west, it could not be approx 1 mile from Rigolets bridge...it would be more like 5 miles.

Seems like over the years someone what have put a marker at the spot. I would like to know if the witness from the media is correct, or this death certificate is correct.

Lisa
Lisa

September 18th, 2010, 2:30 am #9

This would be approx one mile past the bridge going west, but it is not mile marker 292. It would be about 297/298. 292 would be further west bound about 1.5 miles before the Lake Catherine bridge. When you cross the Lake Catherine Bridge going west bound, mile marker 289 is right in front of Venetian Isle subdivision, and mile marker 282 is 6 miles further westbound.

Either this report is not correct or the radio announcer did not give the right mile marker. I am thinking since the radio announcer went to the scene and saw the mile marker before the crash, he is correct.

I still think it is strange that no historical marker has been put up there.

Lisa

Samantha
Samantha

February 4th, 2011, 5:02 am #10

[/IMG]
Does anyone have information regarding Sam Brody, Jayne's boyfriend? Is there a copy of his death certificate floating around anywhere? Let me know. Thanks.

Confirmation of reply: