Rock history chalkboard

Rock history chalkboard

October 15th, 2003, 6:21 pm #1

Here is an image of the School of Rock chalk board with Dewey's history of Rock with easy to read translation:

Last edited by spindaddydad on August 1st, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sisterrae
sisterrae

December 16th, 2003, 4:14 pm #2

A few more...

New Wave: Blondie, B-52's

80's: Butthole Surfers

Southern Rock: Dr. John

Rap: Ice T

Baldho
Baldho

December 17th, 2003, 12:12 am #3

Here is an image of the School of Rock chalk board with Dewey's history of Rock with easy to read translation:

Just above Heavy Metal and Black Sabbath is Motor Head

December 17th, 2003, 1:36 pm #4

Here is a translation of the chalkboard. Some entries are illegible however. 

Last edited by spindaddydad on March 18th, 2004, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kate
kate

December 17th, 2003, 5:04 pm #5

Rock a Billy:
under Elvis is the "Everly Brothers"

Heavy Metal:
under Black Sabbath, "D&D" should be "Dio" -- as in Ronnie James Dio -- Tenacious D sings a song about him

Prog. Rock: "Presidents" should be "Residents"

Baldho
Baldho

December 18th, 2003, 4:15 am #6

There are arrows missing, one to Hip Hip and another one to Prog Rock

Baldho
Baldho

December 18th, 2003, 4:31 am #7

And another one from Hard Rock to New Wave, and the two arrows to heavy metal are the wrong direction.

There is jimi Hendrix on the arrow from Psychedelic Rock to Hard Rock

To the right of Folk Rock is not roy orbison. It looks like Dave Mason or something.

Under southern rock, 3rd is ZZ Top

Arrow from british invasion to Pop Rock is missing.

Also, who really did this graphic?

Baldho
Baldho

January 2nd, 2004, 4:19 am #8

Rock a Billy:
under Elvis is the "Everly Brothers"

Heavy Metal:
under Black Sabbath, "D&D" should be "Dio" -- as in Ronnie James Dio -- Tenacious D sings a song about him

Prog. Rock: "Presidents" should be "Residents"
Replace "R&B" by "Rib". I THINK Rib is an actual genre of music. Well i'm sure little richard is not R&B (as far as i know R&B)

Gina Harris
Gina Harris

January 4th, 2004, 8:36 am #9

The question marks by Ice T are Ice Cube.

Geoff Fetner
Geoff Fetner

January 10th, 2004, 4:55 pm #10

Hey All:

I'm not a rock geneology expert, but I have friends that are and therefore being somewhat of a graphic artist I decided to re-create Dewey's Chalkboard using Adobe Illustrator. I've actually recreated it poster size (36 x 22) as a gift for someone. The translation and redrawing currently posted isn't bad, but there are some mistakes. I've also recreated it like an actual chalkboard using a "chalk-like font" on a dark green slate. I am still missing a few entries adjacent to the left of Southern Rock and some to the right of Pop Rock.

Wasn't easy to find the additions, but the longer you stare at the thing, the more it becomes clear. Also, typing the genre and what you think might be the entry into GOOGLE is a good way to find the answer. Anyway, the errors in the recreation are as follows:

1) Under Hip Hop - Barry E. Flack - is really Doug E. Fresh. Also, under Eric B. is Boggie Down Productions.

2) Above Jackson Browne is Credence Clearwater Revival

3) I think next to Pop Rock, the 1st and 3rd entries are Beach Boys and Elton John respectively. (not sure though)

Confirmation of reply: