Memories of Anissa (29 years Anon)

Memories of Anissa (29 years Anon)

Bobby B
Bobby B

August 29th, 2005, 12:31 am #1

It would probably be more appropriate to post our memories of Anissa Jones here than attempt family contact!

My Mom was a live-in caregiver who took care of Mr. Haden who lived in Palya Del Rey after his retirement from the defense department and Hughes for many years. Mr. Hayden was kind enough to let my Mom move in with me, even though the employment agency insisted it was a solo live-in. We lived in his house on Barbour near Vista Del Mar from September of 1970 until his health so deteriorated that he was put in a nursing home in January of 1975, I was 12 when we arrived and we left when I was 17. It was an absolute Palace to us because we had always lived in the inner city L.A. area in cheap apartments and moved often. There was a vehicle we could use and there was always food, which was not something we were used to in our lives! Our most fond memories of my youth were at the Haden home!

Across the freeway from us was Dockweiler, which we usually called the Beach Park or just Toes. I used to go across the freeway and swim or just mess around in the sand. When we first got there I was still in survival mode so I would scrounge the beach or the trash barrels for discarded items that we could fix or sell or use - so the kids in the area called me ‘garbage picker’ and made fun of me. But I didn’t care, we were in Paradise and I got to go to school everyday and even had nice clothes that Mr. Haden’s friends would send over from were they lived at the Marina and the church in Corona Del Mar.

I attended Orville Wright Junior High School from September of 1970 and Westchester High School from 1972 until the Christmas break in 1975, (when I finished school at Hawthorne High in Hawthorne.

I knew of Anissa Jones from school, (the kids pointed her out to me and said she was ‘Buffy’ from Family Affair.) There was always a flock of kids that wanted to be her friend and I was a loner that wasn’t well liked, so I was never really introduced to her. The kids that did get to know her seemed to flaunt her like a trophy, so she got very defensive and stuck to a small group of friends. We did have an English Class together the last year at Orville Wright but I sat in the back. She was really intelligent but liked to hide it, she tried to blend in too much, but I really didn’t (don’t) have a clue why! The thing you noticed most about her was she threw love around a lot! Most kids our age were into that being hippies or pseudo hippies, but she was different, when she said love she really meant it! With her love was really serious and she got it thrown back in her face! (When you’re surrounded by 13 year olds, they act like 13 year olds! She was like a 35 year old stuck in a 13 year old’s body!)

She and her younger brother Paul used to skate on Rees and the Trolley’s and we bumped into each other every now and then because they were between me and the beach, you couldn’t separate her from her Brother. They steered clear of me, I grew 3 or 4 inches a year at that time and I was a tall wide awkward kid. (Of course being a 6 foot 3 inch High School freshman, the teasing stopped!)

When Paul was in high school, (on the rare occasion he attended high school,) he grew a lot too and he and I talked once when I was back visiting the Captain’s for a burger, about growing so much. I told him he must like milk like me and he made the comment that he’d have to stop drinking it, because he didn’t want to be a freak. He looked up at me, (I was 6’ 9” at the time) and realized that he had been insensitive to insulting and turned red and apologized. I decided not to retaliate and tease him about his perm, I just smiled and told him it was really OK and he had a really warm smile! (Getting ahead of myself here…)

Anissa didn’t grow much and she hung out with a crowd that I couldn’t stand! I had taken to running as well as weightlifting so I could play Ball (anyone remember Bobby B?) By the time I was a Sophomore I was doing well and looking forward with many prayers to a career in the NFL. I ran wind sprints at school and then ran distance for conditioning from home. My route was over into the condemned area bordering LAX.

I was still at Westchester and I was running on Kilgore and saw a girl that looked like Anissa and another girl over by an abandoned house and ran over to see if they were OK. They headed into the house, which had been sealed and broken into. They said they were OK and it was obvious they didn’t want me around.

Football players are usually sort of the unofficial-lookout-for-everyone-school-spirit types and I fell into that mold and wanted to make sure they were OK. So I pressed them on what was up and she had been crying and told me her Father had died earlier and she didn’t want to go back to her Mom’s, so her Mom had called the cops and she was taking off! I had NO tools to deal with any of that! I asked her if she was sure she was making a good choice and she told me that good choices were rare in her life, (like she was forty or something!) She just hung her head and let her tears fall and I knew she was hiding her face from me not wanting me to see her cry. I did the same.

I had no argument nothing to offer that would help her, so after a minute or two I pulled a five-dollar bill that I used to tuck into my adidas in case of an emergency and held it out to her and she wouldn’t take it, so I let it fall to the ground and as I ran off I called back ‘go home.’ It bothered me then and it bothers me now.

The rumor at school was that she was on the street and finally that she got picked up for stealing, but I didn’t really know what happened to her!

In ’76 my Mom took me to a pizza place she liked on Culver and Anissa was there with a bunch of kids and she stood as they sat. She still looked the same. Some looser came in with a Frank Zappa and the Mothers tee shirt on and she was obviously moved by his presence. I did not disturb them with an appearance.

During our meal I heard them chastising her for her choice of music, the Zappa freak got loud and as the others laughed, he asked her what her favorite rock song was and even though I strained to hear I couldn’t make out what she said, but the kids at the table groaned and I heard them say ABBA! And they laughed and chanted ‘Disco sucks’ a few times and the Zappa freak was pretty loud in condemning her choice saying ABBA wasn’t even Disco, that they were Bubble Gum Rock!

I was looking right at her when she told them that she didn’t really like ABBA that much, but that she did like Nazareth. And someone was loud in condemning her for choosing her friends choice. Anissa had freckles and when she was embarrassed it was obvious. She looked down embarrassed, as did I for her! I remembered thinking betraying music must be the most devastating thing someone could go through! Although inside I would have loved to crush a skull or two, in reality there was nothing that I could do at the time to save her! (My girl said I should have said something and my Mom agreed, but at the time I didn’t and that was the wrong decision!) It does show though that she was totally at her friend’s mercy and being an accepted part of them was just too important in her life!

I ran into a girl named Helen that won some big music award in L.A. and she told me Anissa had got her trust fund money and was out of school and living with Paul and that she was the biggest Coke, Angel Dust and Quaalude user in the state.

I saw Anissa from a distance driving away from a Laundry just before graduation and again in Huntington Beach in August after. She had changed her hair, I did not bother her!

I was at a football player’s house at USC, when I overheard a girl say she had seen on T.V. ‘That Buffy chick from Family Affair had died Sunday morning of a drug overdose.’ Sunday was my birthday, the 28th of August 1976.

I did not know until I saw on the Internet in 1996 that Paul had suffered a drug death in ’84.

Many years later I was at a Movie (The 13th Warrior) with my young son and watched as Antonio Banderas said the prayer “Merciful Father, for all that I should have said and did not say. For all that I should have done and did not do. I beg forgiveness…”

I wish I had better or brighter memories to share but that is all that I have…

I hope someone might have some better ones to share (and posts them!)

A Friend
A Friend

August 29th, 2005, 12:57 am #2

Happy Birthday Big Guy!

And Thanks!

sugar-candy
sugar-candy

August 29th, 2005, 9:21 am #3

It would probably be more appropriate to post our memories of Anissa Jones here than attempt family contact!

My Mom was a live-in caregiver who took care of Mr. Haden who lived in Palya Del Rey after his retirement from the defense department and Hughes for many years. Mr. Hayden was kind enough to let my Mom move in with me, even though the employment agency insisted it was a solo live-in. We lived in his house on Barbour near Vista Del Mar from September of 1970 until his health so deteriorated that he was put in a nursing home in January of 1975, I was 12 when we arrived and we left when I was 17. It was an absolute Palace to us because we had always lived in the inner city L.A. area in cheap apartments and moved often. There was a vehicle we could use and there was always food, which was not something we were used to in our lives! Our most fond memories of my youth were at the Haden home!

Across the freeway from us was Dockweiler, which we usually called the Beach Park or just Toes. I used to go across the freeway and swim or just mess around in the sand. When we first got there I was still in survival mode so I would scrounge the beach or the trash barrels for discarded items that we could fix or sell or use - so the kids in the area called me ‘garbage picker’ and made fun of me. But I didn’t care, we were in Paradise and I got to go to school everyday and even had nice clothes that Mr. Haden’s friends would send over from were they lived at the Marina and the church in Corona Del Mar.

I attended Orville Wright Junior High School from September of 1970 and Westchester High School from 1972 until the Christmas break in 1975, (when I finished school at Hawthorne High in Hawthorne.

I knew of Anissa Jones from school, (the kids pointed her out to me and said she was ‘Buffy’ from Family Affair.) There was always a flock of kids that wanted to be her friend and I was a loner that wasn’t well liked, so I was never really introduced to her. The kids that did get to know her seemed to flaunt her like a trophy, so she got very defensive and stuck to a small group of friends. We did have an English Class together the last year at Orville Wright but I sat in the back. She was really intelligent but liked to hide it, she tried to blend in too much, but I really didn’t (don’t) have a clue why! The thing you noticed most about her was she threw love around a lot! Most kids our age were into that being hippies or pseudo hippies, but she was different, when she said love she really meant it! With her love was really serious and she got it thrown back in her face! (When you’re surrounded by 13 year olds, they act like 13 year olds! She was like a 35 year old stuck in a 13 year old’s body!)

She and her younger brother Paul used to skate on Rees and the Trolley’s and we bumped into each other every now and then because they were between me and the beach, you couldn’t separate her from her Brother. They steered clear of me, I grew 3 or 4 inches a year at that time and I was a tall wide awkward kid. (Of course being a 6 foot 3 inch High School freshman, the teasing stopped!)

When Paul was in high school, (on the rare occasion he attended high school,) he grew a lot too and he and I talked once when I was back visiting the Captain’s for a burger, about growing so much. I told him he must like milk like me and he made the comment that he’d have to stop drinking it, because he didn’t want to be a freak. He looked up at me, (I was 6’ 9” at the time) and realized that he had been insensitive to insulting and turned red and apologized. I decided not to retaliate and tease him about his perm, I just smiled and told him it was really OK and he had a really warm smile! (Getting ahead of myself here…)

Anissa didn’t grow much and she hung out with a crowd that I couldn’t stand! I had taken to running as well as weightlifting so I could play Ball (anyone remember Bobby B?) By the time I was a Sophomore I was doing well and looking forward with many prayers to a career in the NFL. I ran wind sprints at school and then ran distance for conditioning from home. My route was over into the condemned area bordering LAX.

I was still at Westchester and I was running on Kilgore and saw a girl that looked like Anissa and another girl over by an abandoned house and ran over to see if they were OK. They headed into the house, which had been sealed and broken into. They said they were OK and it was obvious they didn’t want me around.

Football players are usually sort of the unofficial-lookout-for-everyone-school-spirit types and I fell into that mold and wanted to make sure they were OK. So I pressed them on what was up and she had been crying and told me her Father had died earlier and she didn’t want to go back to her Mom’s, so her Mom had called the cops and she was taking off! I had NO tools to deal with any of that! I asked her if she was sure she was making a good choice and she told me that good choices were rare in her life, (like she was forty or something!) She just hung her head and let her tears fall and I knew she was hiding her face from me not wanting me to see her cry. I did the same.

I had no argument nothing to offer that would help her, so after a minute or two I pulled a five-dollar bill that I used to tuck into my adidas in case of an emergency and held it out to her and she wouldn’t take it, so I let it fall to the ground and as I ran off I called back ‘go home.’ It bothered me then and it bothers me now.

The rumor at school was that she was on the street and finally that she got picked up for stealing, but I didn’t really know what happened to her!

In ’76 my Mom took me to a pizza place she liked on Culver and Anissa was there with a bunch of kids and she stood as they sat. She still looked the same. Some looser came in with a Frank Zappa and the Mothers tee shirt on and she was obviously moved by his presence. I did not disturb them with an appearance.

During our meal I heard them chastising her for her choice of music, the Zappa freak got loud and as the others laughed, he asked her what her favorite rock song was and even though I strained to hear I couldn’t make out what she said, but the kids at the table groaned and I heard them say ABBA! And they laughed and chanted ‘Disco sucks’ a few times and the Zappa freak was pretty loud in condemning her choice saying ABBA wasn’t even Disco, that they were Bubble Gum Rock!

I was looking right at her when she told them that she didn’t really like ABBA that much, but that she did like Nazareth. And someone was loud in condemning her for choosing her friends choice. Anissa had freckles and when she was embarrassed it was obvious. She looked down embarrassed, as did I for her! I remembered thinking betraying music must be the most devastating thing someone could go through! Although inside I would have loved to crush a skull or two, in reality there was nothing that I could do at the time to save her! (My girl said I should have said something and my Mom agreed, but at the time I didn’t and that was the wrong decision!) It does show though that she was totally at her friend’s mercy and being an accepted part of them was just too important in her life!

I ran into a girl named Helen that won some big music award in L.A. and she told me Anissa had got her trust fund money and was out of school and living with Paul and that she was the biggest Coke, Angel Dust and Quaalude user in the state.

I saw Anissa from a distance driving away from a Laundry just before graduation and again in Huntington Beach in August after. She had changed her hair, I did not bother her!

I was at a football player’s house at USC, when I overheard a girl say she had seen on T.V. ‘That Buffy chick from Family Affair had died Sunday morning of a drug overdose.’ Sunday was my birthday, the 28th of August 1976.

I did not know until I saw on the Internet in 1996 that Paul had suffered a drug death in ’84.

Many years later I was at a Movie (The 13th Warrior) with my young son and watched as Antonio Banderas said the prayer “Merciful Father, for all that I should have said and did not say. For all that I should have done and did not do. I beg forgiveness…”

I do agree with you, sharing Anissa's memories is the best thing to do.I thank you for posting yours.I'm sorry not to have met Anissa.Hope to read more about her soon.

Michael A
Michael A

August 30th, 2005, 4:49 am #4

Thanks to Bobby B. for what was the best thing i've read about Anissa outside of Brian Keith O'Hara's webpages. I'm sorry that BKOH has vanished off the radar and was sad at the unbelievable amounts of petty abuse he recieved over at that old Arborwood Family Affair forum. Last I heard from Brian was that he was working on a book on the late Bobby Driscoll and the Anissa Jones book had been done and shelved. Brian has had several different email addresses in the past decade or so, and currently it is hard finding him.. but then it was never easy connecting with him in the first place outside of forums like this. I always got the impression he was a genuinely sweet and caring guy and his meticulous research and deductive reasoning was worthy of Sherlock Holmes. Of course, there are still many in the Playa del Rey area with plenty to hide thirty years on and any attempts by Brian to bring back Anissa into the public arena in a favourable light, especially necessary after that brutal E! bastardisation, was cruelly attacked. It would be very sweet if Brian's Anissa bio was released and I am sure it would be essential reading for those who truly care about her and Paul.

Margie
Margie

September 28th, 2005, 5:17 pm #5

I knew you during my high school days! I thought you were more interested in Robin Jones than Anissa Jones! You were quite a catch but I your coment about your son seems to point to a committed relationship or marriage! I found ‘A Friend’s’ email adress and have sent him off a note for you! Wow nice catching up to you!

Margie

Bobby B
Bobby B

September 30th, 2005, 4:57 am #6

Well it is nice that someone remembered me. And I'm flattered but I am truly in a committed relationship (happily married since June 1988!)

And for the record, I don't know whom she is talking about honey; you know you were the only woman I've ever been interested in!!!

Margie
Margie

October 2nd, 2005, 5:34 am #7

They got me to agree to come back and post what I knew of Anissa Jones (Buffy on Family Affair) and her brother an that’s not much. She was a year ahead of me in High School.

I didn’t care to know her personally. She was rotten to most people her brother sold dope they both ditched school and were always on the lookout for safe places to convince other kids to ditch as well. She missed a lot of school when she was in jail she only came back to school because her mom made her and she came to school stoned to hang out with her friends and when she turned 18 she was gone good.

I didn’t know about her dad or about her mom being a pushy studio mom I just knew how she was back then and if everybody wants to see her as a saint now be it!

I herd she died under a peir in Oceanside.

Margie

sugar-candy
sugar-candy

October 2nd, 2005, 10:04 am #8

I think it's always painful to tell the truth, but you had the courage to tell it; well I want to tell you I will always love Anissa and her real facts of life won't change my mind.I do agree someone wants to find many reasons to justify drugs in her life, well I think we must be honest and say we will always love her the way she were.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2005, 10:42 am #9

Obviously Anissa's time in 'prison' affected her deeply and i guess after a stint in Hollywood she was wary of people who would flatter to decieve and want to 'know' her simply due to the 'fame by association' thing that happens. I think Anissa was a great person but I don't kid myself for one minute she was a perfect angel (that was why BKOH's assessment rubbed me the wrong way at times: it was too neat and tidy and the ruffled feathers were smoothed into place with the exception of her last night and final great mistake) and for someone who was very sensitive and compassionate she could be cold and impersonal and unforgiving... it seems with some there was not a chance for reconcilation and that strikes me as being really unfair. So, Anissa, great person who I dearly wish was still around and she'll always be remembered with great affection despite her lack of balance in dealings with people.

Mashworth74
Mashworth74

October 2nd, 2005, 10:49 am #10

In addition, she did not die under a pier. Much of that morning in Oceanside is so hazy and imcomplete... i never get the same story twice. People at the house in Littler say Anissa was still alive though unconscious when they dressed her and phoned the ambulance but one of the paramedics said she was stone cold dead. I think Anissa was almost physically incapable of knowing when enough was enough after that bungled affair after her broken leg where that drug made her tongue swell and screwed up her nervous system permanently. I've often found it sad, very sad, that Paul would not honor her sister's memory by cleaning up his act but that's easy to say with such a distance of time but his decline and eventual death punches a hole in my heart too and many, many, many times i've wished it could have been averted somehow.

Confirmation of reply: