John Sweeney never loved Dominique

John Sweeney never loved Dominique

Patrick Stoewe
Patrick Stoewe

August 16th, 2006, 1:41 am #1

I totally disagree with the description that Dominique was "killed by the man who loved her". This man never loved her. He was (is) a totally selfish person who never really respected Dominique, but he treated her like an object he's possessing. Towards others he always pretended to be a caring boyfriend, but alone with her, he abused her both physically and mentally on numerous occasions. He never showed any remorse for the murder. In front of inmates he mentioned that "Dominique was a snob who deserved what she got". And not to forget the travesty of justice, when he was allowed to slander Dominique and when he told the most terrible lies about her in the courtroom. Dominique herself realized that Sweeney doesn't love her, but that he's obsessed with her, regarding his extreme jealousy and violence.

This is a very important point to me, since Sweeney successfully convinced the jury and probably some more people that Dominique Dunne wasn't murdered, but that it was a tragedy because of the passion of a desperately loving man who merely lost his self-control. Unfortunately, many people like the imagination of tragic romances and they like to believe those words.

Patrick Stoewe,

The Dominique Dunne Site
http://www.dominique-dunne.com

Linda
Linda

August 16th, 2006, 2:50 am #2

I agree Patrick. It is absolutley appaling to me as well that he was not convicted of this crime. I think he is one of those hot-headed, controlling, obsessing types that will always abuse women throughout his life. By the way, do you know anything else about this creep, like whether or not he has remarried or if he has a girlfriend or anything. Is there a way to find out where he works. I love it that Dominique fans got him fired from his chef job in California.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 16th, 2006, 1:06 pm #3

I totally disagree with the description that Dominique was "killed by the man who loved her". This man never loved her. He was (is) a totally selfish person who never really respected Dominique, but he treated her like an object he's possessing. Towards others he always pretended to be a caring boyfriend, but alone with her, he abused her both physically and mentally on numerous occasions. He never showed any remorse for the murder. In front of inmates he mentioned that "Dominique was a snob who deserved what she got". And not to forget the travesty of justice, when he was allowed to slander Dominique and when he told the most terrible lies about her in the courtroom. Dominique herself realized that Sweeney doesn't love her, but that he's obsessed with her, regarding his extreme jealousy and violence.

This is a very important point to me, since Sweeney successfully convinced the jury and probably some more people that Dominique Dunne wasn't murdered, but that it was a tragedy because of the passion of a desperately loving man who merely lost his self-control. Unfortunately, many people like the imagination of tragic romances and they like to believe those words.

Patrick Stoewe,

The Dominique Dunne Site
http://www.dominique-dunne.com
I think the "heat of the moment" or "passion" pleas are a crock and a serious injustice. Whether you kill someone out of rage of passion is not any different than plotting to kill someone. They are both murder and should get a life sentence or death penalty.

Patrick Stoewe
Patrick Stoewe

August 16th, 2006, 11:35 pm #4

I agree Patrick. It is absolutley appaling to me as well that he was not convicted of this crime. I think he is one of those hot-headed, controlling, obsessing types that will always abuse women throughout his life. By the way, do you know anything else about this creep, like whether or not he has remarried or if he has a girlfriend or anything. Is there a way to find out where he works. I love it that Dominique fans got him fired from his chef job in California.
The information I have about him is nearly 10 years old, and you probably know it already: After moving to the Seattle area, Sweeney became engaged to a young woman, but before they got married she found out who he was (her father became suspicious and called Dominick Dunne) and she broke up the relationship with him. Sweeney then changed his name to "John Maura". I don't know if he still lives in Seattle, or if he still works as an executive chef which reportedly was his last job. Someone told me that he now lives in Canada (Vancouver perhaps), but I don't know if this information is correct.

Grand Mal
Grand Mal

August 18th, 2006, 1:51 am #5

I think the "heat of the moment" or "passion" pleas are a crock and a serious injustice. Whether you kill someone out of rage of passion is not any different than plotting to kill someone. They are both murder and should get a life sentence or death penalty.
I did a Google search for his name followed by chef and it turns up basically nothing but many pages and sites about his involvement with Dom Dunne. He must do a diligent job of keeping his name off of the internet. What a creep!

Gabba Gabba Hey
Gabba Gabba Hey

August 18th, 2006, 9:20 pm #6

So is the "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea. Shouldn't it be "guilty because of insanity"?

Patrick Stoewe
Patrick Stoewe

August 19th, 2006, 8:45 pm #7

I did a Google search for his name followed by chef and it turns up basically nothing but many pages and sites about his involvement with Dom Dunne. He must do a diligent job of keeping his name off of the internet. What a creep!
Have you tried it with both names, John Sweeney and John Maura?

However, I've tried to find him on the internet too, several times. I've also looked up webpages from restaurants, restaurant chains and hotels in the Seattle area in particular, but no success. Well, I have to confess, I'm curious what this jerk is doing now, too, though otherwise I think it would be better to ignore him.

Grand Mal
Grand Mal

August 20th, 2006, 4:28 pm #8

I'm curious what this jerk is doing now, too, though otherwise I think it would be better to ignore him.
You're right that it would probably be best to ignore this guy, I can't help but want to disrupt anything he is doing now. Call me selfish, call me demented. Just the way I feel. Really bothers me that this guy just walks away from this thing.

Patrick
Patrick

August 20th, 2006, 11:04 pm #9

I can absolutely understand you. All the time I think about that this scumbag is a free man and living his life somewhere, makes me sick.

Linda
Linda

August 23rd, 2006, 1:24 am #10

So is the "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea. Shouldn't it be "guilty because of insanity"?
One thing I have always found to be true about these kind of guys (wife beaters) is that they never change. Once a beater, always a beater. At some point we will learn that he has done this again. The question is, will we recognize him and will the press pick up on it that it is him. For all we know he could have already had new charges in Seattle, but they just didn't make the news.

Confirmation of reply: