I wonder...

I wonder...

Curious
Curious

October 5th, 2005, 3:11 am #1

From what I've read, Riv's family deny he was heavily into drugs. It seems they claim his use was "recreational" at best. Yet, he friends say he was in fact a drug addict. I wonder why they deny it.

Is anything airing on River this month like biographies or anything?

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 5th, 2005, 9:56 am #2

"Is anything airing on River this month like biographies or anything?"

I haven't heard but would like to know, too. I should check out this month's tv book. I know I was ticked off last week when I couldn't find ANYTHING about James Dean on the 50th anniversary of his death (Sept. 30). I did catch a bio of him the week before, but nothing on the 30th. Couldn't even find any of his three movies being shown. I figured someone would have acknowledged that day. shrugs

October 5th, 2005, 4:05 pm #3

I think they deny it the same way other parents deny it with their kids. And he had a fucked up upbringing which wouldnt help matters. I think they must feel guilty about it,

Heather
Heather

October 6th, 2005, 2:55 am #4

I'm an admirer of River Phoenix's talent and have been for almost 20 years (has it BEEN that long?) so I say this without casting blame and with a full heart: River's family and friends denying knowledge that may have been heavily addicted to drugs would be like Mama Cass' family denying that they had any knowledge that she may have been a little overweight.

Any doubts about drug use? Rent and watch The Thing Called Love. I'm not a friend or family member but one doesn't have to be to see the toll that River's "recreational" drug use was taking on him both physically and emotionally: the weight loss, slurred and at times even incoherent speech, lack of depth of character portrayal in his later movies, etc.

Come on, now? How many of us have seen the publicity interview for the movie Sneakers where River was fucked up beyond question on chemicals of some sort? Wearing sunglasses indoors, nodding his head unremarkably and zoning out for most of the questions asked....it was a sad and painful few minutes of TV for me to watch - and I'm just a fan. How must his inner circle of friends and family have felt seeing the same self-destruction I was seeing? It must have been horrible.

Having said all this, I certainly don't blame River's family for not being able to save him from himself. Though many drug users are very shrewd at hiding the truth from those close to them, River wasn't even able to conceal his addiction from his dedicated fan base.

Maybe the denial is truly that strong and blinding, or perhaps the family doesn't want people who never even knew River to wag their self-righteous fingers in their faces spewing their "woulda, coulda, shoulda" bullshit ad nauseum. I don't blame River's family a bit for being private about their loss. I wish them all peace in the knowledge of how many lives River impacted in his short time here on the planet and how the each generation discovers River and continues to be impacted by his beliefs and principles.

October 6th, 2005, 12:38 pm #5

Hethra, you DO have a great way with words. Right on.

I've never seen the interview with Phoenix and the movie "Sneakers". Sounds pretty sad . I did however see a portion of that show "Hollywoods most shocking moments" or something like that. And Rivers death made it in the top 101 of course. First they show little clips of him as a young teen in "Stand By Me", then show a clip of an interview where he CLEARLY appeared "spaced out". By the looks of the "spaced out interview" (i.e. a clear loss of words and looking up at the sky unable to focus or concentrate), it appeared it was made around the time of "I love you to death". The longer bobbed hair, still fresh faced though as opposed to the hardened stare of "The thing called love". Just as his family absolkutely HAD to be aware of his drug problems, so were the movie producers. It's just absolutely undeniable.

Oh yeah - people on this board have asked about the 911 call Leaf/Joaquin made at the Viper Room. Just a few brief seconds of the call are played on the "101 most shocking Hollywood moments". The show comes on the E! channel. Rivers death made it in the lower portion, between the 80's-70's of the top 101 if anyone is interested.

BETHY
BETHY

October 9th, 2005, 11:57 pm #6

That call is so sad, and it is funny cause now on the countdown, where Rivers death was, they have the kiss between Madonna, Britney,and Cristina. Funny, maybe they grew a concience finally because they replaced it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 10th, 2005, 9:29 am #7

From what I've read, Riv's family deny he was heavily into drugs. It seems they claim his use was "recreational" at best. Yet, he friends say he was in fact a drug addict. I wonder why they deny it.

His Mother thinks it was recreational cause there was a letter that she wrote after River died where she said that he was not a regular drug user. That is all that I have seen so far

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 11th, 2005, 7:47 pm #8

If they denied it, they were in denial, especially his folks. Open your eyes I say

ekoostik
ekoostik

October 12th, 2005, 2:36 am #9

As you all know, my brother died of an OD two years ago. My parents told no one the real cause of his death (as I'm sure River's family would have done had it not happened in public)stating to people at the funeral, "He just went to sleep and never woke up". This still goats me for two reasons: 1.) I think my parents were partly embarrassed and 2.) if people don't learn the reality of what can happen to drug users more deaths are inevitable. Personally, I feel not only should we stop hiding it but we should educate people as much as possible. I mean, how dumb do my parents think people are...you have a 31 year old otherwise healthy male laying dead in a coffin...do you really think people believe it was natural causes? Anyway, covering up and denying does nothing for the children of our future. As the old saying goes, "those who don't know their history (River, Jim Morrison, John Balushi, etc.) are doomed to repeat it.

Cathy
Cathy

October 12th, 2005, 9:28 am #10

You know, I wonder the same thing about parents E... but it is not that your parents were dumb, but they are in denial. Young people can, and do die of natural causes, I just feel that folks need to look more closely when their kid comes home "altered" all the time. why deny? You kid can die from gnoring them, as you know all too well.

My thoughts and prayers are w/ you and your fam.

Confirmation of reply: