Dennis Davern

Dennis Davern

Joanne Smith
Joanne Smith

January 25th, 2006, 12:56 pm #1

I want to start this message by saying that I don't believe that Natalie's death was the result of foul play. However, one thing that I've never understood is why those who do believe in the 'foul play' theory, target RJ Wagner as the person responsible, while completely ignoring a much more plausible suspect - Dennis Davern!

Basically, here's a man who has behaved in what I would consider to be a suspicious manner from day 1!

Firstly, we have the policeman who initially interviewed him (the morning after) who said that Davern was clearly drunk and had been drinking all night. Why? Neither RJ nor Chris Walken was in that state - they'd clearly stopped drinking at the point they realised Natalie was missing (or maybe slighly earlier than that). Shouldn't Davern have been helping with the search, rather than drinking himself into a stupor?

Secondly (leading on from the first point), why did Davern drink anything at all? As skipper of the yacht, he should have remained stone cold sober - part of his duties would have been to ensure the safety of his employers and their guest. Even if he had been offered a drink, it should have been his duty to refuse it. It's sort of like a lifeguard at the local swimming pool being drunk on duty, or the Captain of a Nuclear Submarine being drunk on duty. In both cases, those people would, quite rightly, lose their jobs!

Thirdly, why does Dennis Davern keep changing his story? The obvious answer is to make money. But his different versions of events all have something in common - the implication of RJ Wagner. In the latest version (told to Suzanne Finstadt) he claims that he witnessed RJ and Natalie fighting on deck, then, when she fell into the water, RJ stood and watched her drown, mocking her as she fought for her life. My first thought on hearing this 'new' account was that it sounded to me like an 'indirect' confession by Davern (i.e. he wanted to unburden himself, but didn't want to directly confess to the crime).

I can think of two possible motives for Davern which would make him a likely suspect:-

1 Davern was unhappy about his treatment by his employers, which could either have been a genuine grievence, or one that Davern conjoured up in his own mind. On the night of Natalie's death, the alcohol he's been consuming (perhaps coupled with comments made during the evening to or about him by RJ and/or Natalie) caused him to snap. Seeing Natalie alone on deck, he confronts her. She falls in the water, he stands there mocking her as she drowns. He then returns to the bridge, where he sits and waits for RJ and Chris to realise Natalie is missing and begin the search....

2 Davern was in love with Natalie. Let's face it, she was a beautiful woman and probably at least half the men on the planet were in love with her! But for Davern, it's different. He actually works for her, spending time with her, talking to her, laughing and joking with her. He perceives RJ as not being worthy of her! She deserves so much better...him, perhaps! Normally, he'd keep these feelings in check, but on that fateful night, he gets drunk and, having heard the argument going on in the saloon, sees Natalie walk out on deck. He approaches her and tells her how he feels - how he wants to take her away from the bad man she's married to! She tells him to get lost - she wouldn't want him if he was the last man on the planet! He snaps and, as he watches her trying to untie (or retie) the dinghy, he pushes her into the water. As she pleads for help, he stands there mocking her. With her cries ringing in his ears, he then returns to the bridge, where he sits and waits for RJ and Chris to realise Natalie is missing and begin the search....

Incidentally, both the above 'motives' would neatly explain why Davern's 'stories' of that night all seem to implicate RJ - a) to shift the focus away from Davern and b) to 'get back' at this man who either (in his eyes) treated him badly or treated Natalie badly.

Joanne

gail
gail

January 25th, 2006, 3:05 pm #2

dennis davern was a scum bag looking to make a fast buck...he changed his story so many times...he made up so many versions of that horrible night just to make himself some money. at the time of natalie's death there was a tabloid frenzy and he joined in...his word is garbage to me...i would place more belief in lana and i don't believe a word she has said. both have changed their stories and she was not there...she got her info from him. i don't think anyone killed anyone. natalie fell in the water, fought like hell to save her own life, succumbed to hypothermia and died...many people have questioned where davern was and why he was allowed to get so drunk...the answer to that is that the wagners' treated everyone who worked for them like family... including davern...so if they partied...he partied...right or wrong....my instinct tells me that davern tried to get money out of rj...couldn't...and then he started with all of these stories...i have read every word i could possibly read concerning natalie's death. there are things that i won't read...i won't read that last chapter in finstad's book and i won't read that article in vanity fair...and the reason is that they reek of dennis davern.
i don't think anyone is sickened by the length of time rj waited to call for help that rj himself...we can all sit here and ask why he took so long. i have asked the question...

...but over the years i feel that he acted according to his instincts when it came to natalie...he knew her better than any of us...just as she knew him...they knew how to love each other and how to push each others buttons...they were having a bad weekend but he never thought in a million years that she could be could possibly be in trouble until he called for help...i believe that...

January 25th, 2006, 4:53 pm #3

I want to start this message by saying that I don't believe that Natalie's death was the result of foul play. However, one thing that I've never understood is why those who do believe in the 'foul play' theory, target RJ Wagner as the person responsible, while completely ignoring a much more plausible suspect - Dennis Davern!

Basically, here's a man who has behaved in what I would consider to be a suspicious manner from day 1!

Firstly, we have the policeman who initially interviewed him (the morning after) who said that Davern was clearly drunk and had been drinking all night. Why? Neither RJ nor Chris Walken was in that state - they'd clearly stopped drinking at the point they realised Natalie was missing (or maybe slighly earlier than that). Shouldn't Davern have been helping with the search, rather than drinking himself into a stupor?

Secondly (leading on from the first point), why did Davern drink anything at all? As skipper of the yacht, he should have remained stone cold sober - part of his duties would have been to ensure the safety of his employers and their guest. Even if he had been offered a drink, it should have been his duty to refuse it. It's sort of like a lifeguard at the local swimming pool being drunk on duty, or the Captain of a Nuclear Submarine being drunk on duty. In both cases, those people would, quite rightly, lose their jobs!

Thirdly, why does Dennis Davern keep changing his story? The obvious answer is to make money. But his different versions of events all have something in common - the implication of RJ Wagner. In the latest version (told to Suzanne Finstadt) he claims that he witnessed RJ and Natalie fighting on deck, then, when she fell into the water, RJ stood and watched her drown, mocking her as she fought for her life. My first thought on hearing this 'new' account was that it sounded to me like an 'indirect' confession by Davern (i.e. he wanted to unburden himself, but didn't want to directly confess to the crime).

I can think of two possible motives for Davern which would make him a likely suspect:-

1 Davern was unhappy about his treatment by his employers, which could either have been a genuine grievence, or one that Davern conjoured up in his own mind. On the night of Natalie's death, the alcohol he's been consuming (perhaps coupled with comments made during the evening to or about him by RJ and/or Natalie) caused him to snap. Seeing Natalie alone on deck, he confronts her. She falls in the water, he stands there mocking her as she drowns. He then returns to the bridge, where he sits and waits for RJ and Chris to realise Natalie is missing and begin the search....

2 Davern was in love with Natalie. Let's face it, she was a beautiful woman and probably at least half the men on the planet were in love with her! But for Davern, it's different. He actually works for her, spending time with her, talking to her, laughing and joking with her. He perceives RJ as not being worthy of her! She deserves so much better...him, perhaps! Normally, he'd keep these feelings in check, but on that fateful night, he gets drunk and, having heard the argument going on in the saloon, sees Natalie walk out on deck. He approaches her and tells her how he feels - how he wants to take her away from the bad man she's married to! She tells him to get lost - she wouldn't want him if he was the last man on the planet! He snaps and, as he watches her trying to untie (or retie) the dinghy, he pushes her into the water. As she pleads for help, he stands there mocking her. With her cries ringing in his ears, he then returns to the bridge, where he sits and waits for RJ and Chris to realise Natalie is missing and begin the search....

Incidentally, both the above 'motives' would neatly explain why Davern's 'stories' of that night all seem to implicate RJ - a) to shift the focus away from Davern and b) to 'get back' at this man who either (in his eyes) treated him badly or treated Natalie badly.

Joanne
Very, very good insite, I like it and your style, I believe the question mark always exists in every case.

To answer you question about Natalie. I love Natalie very deeply period. Always have always will.

Joanne Smith
Joanne Smith

January 26th, 2006, 12:47 am #4

dennis davern was a scum bag looking to make a fast buck...he changed his story so many times...he made up so many versions of that horrible night just to make himself some money. at the time of natalie's death there was a tabloid frenzy and he joined in...his word is garbage to me...i would place more belief in lana and i don't believe a word she has said. both have changed their stories and she was not there...she got her info from him. i don't think anyone killed anyone. natalie fell in the water, fought like hell to save her own life, succumbed to hypothermia and died...many people have questioned where davern was and why he was allowed to get so drunk...the answer to that is that the wagners' treated everyone who worked for them like family... including davern...so if they partied...he partied...right or wrong....my instinct tells me that davern tried to get money out of rj...couldn't...and then he started with all of these stories...i have read every word i could possibly read concerning natalie's death. there are things that i won't read...i won't read that last chapter in finstad's book and i won't read that article in vanity fair...and the reason is that they reek of dennis davern.
i don't think anyone is sickened by the length of time rj waited to call for help that rj himself...we can all sit here and ask why he took so long. i have asked the question...

...but over the years i feel that he acted according to his instincts when it came to natalie...he knew her better than any of us...just as she knew him...they knew how to love each other and how to push each others buttons...they were having a bad weekend but he never thought in a million years that she could be could possibly be in trouble until he called for help...i believe that...
As I said in the message that started this thread, I don't believe foul play was involved. I just wanted to point out that for those who do believe in the 'foul play' theory, Dennis Davern could be considered just as likely a suspect as RJ!

Thinking about it, Davern should surely not have even gone ashore with the others that night - isn't a skipper supposed to stay with the craft he (or she) is skippering when the passangers are away? His behaviour was completely unprofessional im my opinion - no matter how 'friendly' RJ and Natalie were to him, he was still an employee with a job to do. Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would have known that fraternising with your employer, consuming large quantities of alcohol and leaving the yacht unattended was a bad idea!

It would be interesting to know exactly what previous experience (if any) he had in skippering yachts.

I have the 'Vanity Fair' article and it does have the Davern stamp all over it. They seem to accept his account without question, which is odd considering that the police have for years considered him to be a total crackpot!

Joanne

gail
gail

January 26th, 2006, 9:57 pm #5

Very, very good insite, I like it and your style, I believe the question mark always exists in every case.

To answer you question about Natalie. I love Natalie very deeply period. Always have always will.
thanks,vlad...i have gone over this in my mind many times and perhaps i always will...and i feel the same as you about natalie..like you said..always have , always will......she was the best...

Natalie
Natalie

January 27th, 2006, 4:34 pm #6

Didn't know Natalie, never knew her--correctly believed I would never get the chance to meet her. But I love her, too, and wish she was still here.

Marti Rulli
Marti Rulli

February 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm #7

thanks,vlad...i have gone over this in my mind many times and perhaps i always will...and i feel the same as you about natalie..like you said..always have , always will......she was the best...
Xxxxx, I read your opinion stating that Dennis Davern is a "scum bag out to make a buck" which could not be further from the truth. Soon, a book we wrote will be on the stands. Then, you will know the truth about Natalie Wood's death and about Dennis Davern. You are correct, there WAS a tabloid frenzy, but Dennis always turned down the money for the truth. If you are interested in talking to me about this story, I'd be more than happy to correspond with you through email. We have a lot of truth to tell. Sincerely, Marti Rulli
Last edited by spindaddydad on November 27th, 2009, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

europe59
europe59

February 24th, 2008, 9:10 pm #8

Now, that's interesting....another book with the truth about Nat's death will be out soon....well, Peter Rydyn has been promising about a revealing book to be out, for years. And, if I'm not wrong, it's from the Geraldo Rivera show that you, Ms Rulli, are talking about a book with your friend Davern..isn't it by chance, the same book?. And all for the sake of truth, of course...
To be sincere, Joanne's theory does not look too much far-frtched, not at all...

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 25th, 2008, 12:01 am #9

first of all joanne is a huge robert wagner fan. her views are tainted by her adoration for him. she does not give a damn about natalie's death. she stalked this board and others to defend him. joanne's theories are as baseless she claims rydyn's and davern's are...
as far as davern, if he has all this "truth" what the hell is taking him so long to tell it. why has he waited so long to write this book? why has he not gone to the authorities with his "truth"...and which "truth" will he be telling. he and rydyn have been talking about these books for years. where are they? what is taking so long? maybe they can't find anyone who will publish these books as long as wagner is alive. so much for TRUTH....

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 25th, 2008, 2:21 am #10

Xxxxx, I read your opinion stating that Dennis Davern is a "scum bag out to make a buck" which could not be further from the truth. Soon, a book we wrote will be on the stands. Then, you will know the truth about Natalie Wood's death and about Dennis Davern. You are correct, there WAS a tabloid frenzy, but Dennis always turned down the money for the truth. If you are interested in talking to me about this story, I'd be more than happy to correspond with you through email. We have a lot of truth to tell. Sincerely, Marti Rulli
It's interesting, Ms. Rulli, that you say "WE have a lot of truth to tell." Forgive me, were you there? No, I didn't think so. And aren't you the same woman who Geraldo caught with a hidden camera plotting backstage with Davern about the story you'd tell on his TV show? Thanks, but I'll pass.....

Confirmation of reply: