Chris and Gram and Bernie and the Burritos

Chris and Gram and Bernie and the Burritos

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 6th, 2007, 10:35 pm #1

I was working the boards in L.A. in 1968 but I didn’t have a Union card until 1973 so I worked in friend’s studios. Often I’d pick up a set at Brian Wilson's studio. We’d master Mike Nesmith, Todd Rundgren (who raised Liv Tyler by the way,) Gram (Don’t Call Me Cecil) Parsons, Chris Hillman from the Flying Burito Brothers (West Coast Version) and Manassas, fellow Byrds Bernie Ledon and Mike Clark, Neil Diamond, Leon Russell, Joe South even Dylan who was a big fan of Parsons’ at Brian’s studio. (Anyone remember the Nudie Rodio suits that Gram and Chris used to wear? They were it man it!)

Some of the work was over the top (loosing the graphic adjectives here) and some was the same old mediocre drone and some clearly inferior distractions! But it paid the rent!

I went to the Wilson’s parties (Brian and Dennis) and that’s where I met the little furry dude that Brian dug because he’d suply these chicks that would do anything and he could score for enough sh** for everybody with out us risking our necks. He had written Never Learn Not To Love for the group and I think another song (but that might be my memory failing.) He had got an in with Brian from Phil Kaufman who was tight with Gram. But there was really something freaky about him. He and the chicks and some biker guys ended up homesteading Brian’s place and the guy was a leach and was always scamming Brian for bread.

I asked him once what he wanted me to call him and he said ‘Jesus’ (NO disrespect to the real big guy!) and stared at me with these rolled back eyes, was freaky and he got me to split from the studio when he did it (only time anyone ever got me to abandon a set!)

I think it was Brian that was going to sit out a tour and the band wanted to find someone to fill the slot on the tour. ‘Jesus’ was pretty determined that he’d get the gig. He’d meet with Brian up at his house on Cielo Drive. But Lou Kaufman (no relation to Phil) pushed real hard for this guy who was a big studio musician at the time (and good) named Glen Campbell to get the open slot. Campbell also fit the Beach Boys image better than ‘Jesus’ who looked more the part of rabid little hairball. Brian and his manager met with ‘Jesus’ and told him the news and also told him they wanted him to sell all the rights to them for Never Learn Not To Love, for some money he owed Brian (and not much money at that!) In other words they gave him the kiss off and screwed him. So much for the freaky chicks and easy dope and coke (and horse.)

Worse yet ‘Jesus’ was Charlie Manson and he and his crew returned to Cielo, but Roman Polanski and his wife Sharon were renting it at the time and they caught the insanity fueled by payback aimed at Brian and David Leaf. Yeah yeah, I know they said it was a race war and take over the world Helter Skelter scheme... Blah Blah Blah Blah...
Spooky sh** huh!

Any hoo! I read the posts about Chris and Gram and Bernie and the Burritos and thought I’d drop in and unload on you guys!

Lou Astor (Howard Allen Schwartz at birth)

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 7th, 2007, 1:25 am #2

Great story except that Brian's home was never "homesteaded" by the Manson clan. That was Dennis's house on Sunset. And none of the Wilsons ever lived on Cielo. Producer Terry Melcher rented the infamous Cielo home for a time though.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 7th, 2007, 6:06 am #3

Not sure your info is correct on the renting or subletting on Cielo Drive. Terry Melcher was the son of Doris Day and he owned the Cielo Drive mansion (and lived there with girlfriend Candise Bergen.) He rented the place out eventually taking up residence in Malibu.

However Cielo Drive is indeed where Manson met with Terry Melcher, Brian Wilson and David Leaf. So we leave it to the viewer to figure out the habitation issue; either way the guy was right, they met there, more than once (they were familiar with the place.)

Manson blamed Melcher who had even gone down to the Spahn Ranch to listen to him and the girls, for not publishing his music. Although he had a hardy dislike for Brian Wilson and his agent; the killers admit it was Melcher they wanted to put the spook into not Wilson, (however I'm sure Charlie Manson didn't mind the collateral harm that Brian Wilson and David Leaf might go through through as well!)

But you're correct it was Dennis not Brian Wilson's place (in Pacific Palisades) that the Manson crew just took up residence. Source: http://www.cielodrive.com/ Look under Evidence then Melcher.

It was Brian's studio that Manson recorded and had run in's with a Lou Astor who was listed as a sound engineer in '67-'68.

Those that follow up on the case also will recognize the Phil Kaufman the poster takled about. Quoting from the same Cielo Drive article "Kaufman also used to hang out at the home of Harold True, who until September of 1968 lived on Waverly Drive next to the Labianca house. None of Kaufman's music industry connections panned out for Charlie and Phil suggested that one possible reason why Manson picked the Labianca house was to send him a message." I belive Charlie or his girls got run off by the Labiancas while visiting on Waverly as well.

There is little doubt Manson had a mad scam revolving around the Beatles music and the end of civilization, but less known was the real child like motive of getting even for being turned down by the music industry, who when all was said and done, only used him for girls and drugs.

In that sence the guy was hitting the nail on the head.

It looks like a good post!

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 7th, 2007, 11:18 pm #4

Sorry, I thought it was Brian's place not Dennis'. But to tell you the truth I wasn't that in and I did most of my work at the Studio, didn't get the invite! And I kept as far away from 'Jesus' and his entourage as I could!

All I heard was from set crew, they knew 'Jesus' had it in for me so I was passing on what I heard from them, not what I saw!

Lou Astor

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 8th, 2007, 3:04 am #5

That's O.K. you had no idea that on this board your post would get picked apart! It's cool, we get it! Good post and appreciated! All things I had never heard before! Remembering Sharon

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2007, 6:34 am #6

Not sure your info is correct on the renting or subletting on Cielo Drive. Terry Melcher was the son of Doris Day and he owned the Cielo Drive mansion (and lived there with girlfriend Candise Bergen.) He rented the place out eventually taking up residence in Malibu.

However Cielo Drive is indeed where Manson met with Terry Melcher, Brian Wilson and David Leaf. So we leave it to the viewer to figure out the habitation issue; either way the guy was right, they met there, more than once (they were familiar with the place.)

Manson blamed Melcher who had even gone down to the Spahn Ranch to listen to him and the girls, for not publishing his music. Although he had a hardy dislike for Brian Wilson and his agent; the killers admit it was Melcher they wanted to put the spook into not Wilson, (however I'm sure Charlie Manson didn't mind the collateral harm that Brian Wilson and David Leaf might go through through as well!)

But you're correct it was Dennis not Brian Wilson's place (in Pacific Palisades) that the Manson crew just took up residence. Source: http://www.cielodrive.com/ Look under Evidence then Melcher.

It was Brian's studio that Manson recorded and had run in's with a Lou Astor who was listed as a sound engineer in '67-'68.

Those that follow up on the case also will recognize the Phil Kaufman the poster takled about. Quoting from the same Cielo Drive article "Kaufman also used to hang out at the home of Harold True, who until September of 1968 lived on Waverly Drive next to the Labianca house. None of Kaufman's music industry connections panned out for Charlie and Phil suggested that one possible reason why Manson picked the Labianca house was to send him a message." I belive Charlie or his girls got run off by the Labiancas while visiting on Waverly as well.

There is little doubt Manson had a mad scam revolving around the Beatles music and the end of civilization, but less known was the real child like motive of getting even for being turned down by the music industry, who when all was said and done, only used him for girls and drugs.

In that sence the guy was hitting the nail on the head.

It looks like a good post!
"Not sure your info is correct on the renting or subletting on Cielo Drive. Terry Melcher was the son of Doris Day and he owned the Cielo Drive mansion (and lived there with girlfriend Candise Bergen.) He rented the place out eventually taking up residence in Malibu."

I believe it was Rudy Altobelli that had owned the infamous Cielo house for years (early sixties until 1994?). Melcher and Bergen rented as did Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, Roman Polanski, and in later years Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails).

Here's some proof if you need it...
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Housing/stor ... 757&page=1
Scroll down near the bottom.

Not being anal. Just presenting the facts. I'd think that would be appreciated rather than disinformation.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2007, 6:40 am #7

That's O.K. you had no idea that on this board your post would get picked apart! It's cool, we get it! Good post and appreciated! All things I had never heard before! Remembering Sharon
Not picked apart. Just correcting a few errors which the author now acknowledges. I guess anyone who is a scholar of any subject takes umberance when people get the facts wrong and feels the need to correct. Anissa is a perfect example of this.

Remembering Sharon, Voytek, Abigail, Jay, Steven, Paul, Leno, Rosemary, Shorty, Gary, and all the others. Prayers for their families.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2007, 9:19 am #8

"Not sure your info is correct on the renting or subletting on Cielo Drive. Terry Melcher was the son of Doris Day and he owned the Cielo Drive mansion (and lived there with girlfriend Candise Bergen.) He rented the place out eventually taking up residence in Malibu."

I believe it was Rudy Altobelli that had owned the infamous Cielo house for years (early sixties until 1994?). Melcher and Bergen rented as did Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, Roman Polanski, and in later years Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails).

Not being anal. Just presenting the facts. I'd think that would be appreciated rather than disinformation.
I based my information on the Wikipedia page for Melcher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Melcher . And I notice the line (the one I have saved and cached on my computer): "Manson met Melcher at 10050 Cielo Drive, Melcher's home with his then girlfriend, Candice Bergen, on different occasions."

Has been changed to: "Manson met Melcher at 10050 Cielo Drive, the home Terry shared with his girlfriend, Candice Bergen, on different occasions."

Also Terry Melcher had said in interviews that it was his home, (which really doesn't rule out being his rented home but for me putting my read on it.) Looks like my assumption was incorrect and your facts are accepted.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2007, 10:43 am #9

And we note that you were wrong on Dennis' place on Sunset! And you are wasting our time by arguing about owning or renting! Instead of chasing people off that actually lived the life why don't you take your expert ass and piss off!

God where did we get stuck with these assholes!

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 9th, 2007, 3:13 pm #10

Why don't you take your nasty mouth and shove it.

Confirmation of reply: