Anissa and the law

Anissa and the law

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 19th, 2007, 5:22 am #1

I'm not sure that Anissa got off Parole early! (Note there is a character here in L.A. named R. Curtis Joyner that claims he was Anissa's probation officer, but it is also my recollection that after a committal to JDOC that it's parole not probation, which would make him a liar.)

It's important to note that it wasn't until her 18th birthday that she dropped out of school, moved out of her mother's place and started pcp, pills and cocaine.

I think she was on parole, even if she was able to dazzle the officer with her fame and connections! It was alleged that she was able to do that quite a bit with the authorities.

Brian
Brian

April 19th, 2007, 10:43 pm #2

When Anissa ran away the year was 1974 and she was 16. Of course her Dad had just died and she was very distraught. She went from a mother who was too strict to a Dad who gave her too much freedom, she was in no way prepared to come under her Mom's strict regime again.

She wasn't tried for an adult offense, like a felony or misdemeanor. What she was charged with was being delinquent, which is a status offense.
Juveniles tried as juveniles, did not get parole. What they could have received was detention, probation, sometimes with contemplation of dismissal and a finding of no delinquency, basically innocence.
Anissa's problem was that the Judge ordered her to return home, as Paul already had, and she point blank refused.
She was summarily held in contempt through which she was declared a delinquent.
Hence her inarceration in "Juvenile."

A piece of advice:
When a Judge orders you to do it, you'd better do it. Choose your battles carefully(Julius Caesar) and don't fight a battle you can't win.
But Anissa was absolutely sure she was right and refused to yeild ground.

My argument has always been that Anissa was strong and stubborn , never weak. She went to "Juvenile" because she refused to give in to the Judge and her Mom. Troubled definitely, Unhappy absolutely, but never weak. That was never true.

The Judge must have had second thoughts and, with the passage of a month, offered to let her live with her Grandmother in Laguna Niguel as a compromise. He realized that Anissa had no intention of giving in which she didn't at a hearing in the interim.
Anissa eventually began to miss her friends and sent Paul to see if Mom was willing to Negotiate a compromise. She was and they did. I read the letter Anissa wrote her Mom. She wrote as someone, not arrogant, but as someone who would give, but only through compromise.
Living with John's Mom, Granny, was as unhappy as being home. She made only one friend while there: while walking Lynny Anissa ran into Helen Hennessy who was visiting her Grandmother. And we know what a disaster that was.

Violet
Violet

April 20th, 2007, 1:47 pm #3

Although I wasn't born until 2 years after Anissa died, I've always related to her story...

Alrhough never a famous or in any way note worthy child, I also was a very bright child with a difficult upbringing who turned to drugs. For escape? For fun? To prove something? I can't even answer these questions for myself so I can't possibly answer them for Anissa. What does strike me in Brian's stories though, is what a strong, sure young woman Anissa was. I wish I'd had her strength. What I really wish though, is that Anissa had found, in her late teens, somewhere, something on which to focus all her considerable talents and energy. Some goal, so she didn't feel the need for drugs...

(Nearly 4 years drug free)

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 20th, 2007, 10:03 pm #4

When Anissa ran away the year was 1974 and she was 16. Of course her Dad had just died and she was very distraught. She went from a mother who was too strict to a Dad who gave her too much freedom, she was in no way prepared to come under her Mom's strict regime again.

She wasn't tried for an adult offense, like a felony or misdemeanor. What she was charged with was being delinquent, which is a status offense.
Juveniles tried as juveniles, did not get parole. What they could have received was detention, probation, sometimes with contemplation of dismissal and a finding of no delinquency, basically innocence.
Anissa's problem was that the Judge ordered her to return home, as Paul already had, and she point blank refused.
She was summarily held in contempt through which she was declared a delinquent.
Hence her inarceration in "Juvenile."

A piece of advice:
When a Judge orders you to do it, you'd better do it. Choose your battles carefully(Julius Caesar) and don't fight a battle you can't win.
But Anissa was absolutely sure she was right and refused to yeild ground.

My argument has always been that Anissa was strong and stubborn , never weak. She went to "Juvenile" because she refused to give in to the Judge and her Mom. Troubled definitely, Unhappy absolutely, but never weak. That was never true.

The Judge must have had second thoughts and, with the passage of a month, offered to let her live with her Grandmother in Laguna Niguel as a compromise. He realized that Anissa had no intention of giving in which she didn't at a hearing in the interim.
Anissa eventually began to miss her friends and sent Paul to see if Mom was willing to Negotiate a compromise. She was and they did. I read the letter Anissa wrote her Mom. She wrote as someone, not arrogant, but as someone who would give, but only through compromise.
Living with John's Mom, Granny, was as unhappy as being home. She made only one friend while there: while walking Lynny Anissa ran into Helen Hennessy who was visiting her Grandmother. And we know what a disaster that was.
In the public record there exists the convictions of both Paul and Anissa Jones (c.1974), detailing their incarceration, release, probation agreements, and recommendations. I do not want to post the Docket numbers here for many reasons, not the least of which is that it list's Anissa's Mother's place of employment. (And unlike e-tv, I am VERY PRO PAULA JONES, period!)

Paul's agreement was to attend a private boarding school, but that appears not to have happened. So they both were on probation not parole. Mr. Joyner was a Juvenile Probation officer during the time in question however; Paul's Probation Officer was a Mr. Kirkpatrick. (So be careful, Mr. Joyner could be telling the truth.)

Libby Vega was not aware Anissa was 16 at the time of her detention in 1974, however Anissa was kept with the 12-14 year-olds in her unit assignment, probably because she looked 13 or because of her problem with the black girl. It's unclear that Brian or Paula Jones knew of the beating she took in detention at Eastlake. (The question is did Anissa tell others in detention that she was 13 or not.)

13 seems to be a seminal year in Anissa's life, and that age keeps popping up, highly likely that was a year of some great personal growth or tragedy, that we do not know about.

(John Paul Jones senior died on March 7th 1974, but he was incapacitated for a time before that.)

There is no document I can find releasing them from probation, and indeed as Margie said, Paul had a problem acquiring motorcycles, abusing his mother, and smoking cannabis. So he ended up garnering even more public documents.

Margie's family’s legal difficulties are also there (in abundance) in the public record c.1973 thru...

Anissa was detained and released again before her death in August 1976; but that was after her 18th birthday on March 11th 1976. Her juvenile record was probably sealed, so on top of being wowed by her fame, she got off because she had a clean record, of course such was not the case.

Finally quite a bit of Brian's info came from Paula Jones and I'm sure even Brian isn't aware that it is mixed with impressions that are not all correct. As the child actor Stephen Liss found out recently when talking to Kathy Garver. Some of Brian's facts just were not true and K. Garver thinks Stephen Liss makes up good stories. (Sometimes we do not realize the damage that can be done when we disseminate information we believe to be true only to find out later were incorrect; although I would not fault Paula Jones.) But Brian might want to check his facts a little better in the future, or add a caveat. (Probably the answer to why he is such a hated entity among those that knew Anissa and can't stand him though.)

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2007, 4:09 am #5

<<<Anissa was detained and released again before her death in August 1976; but that was after her 18th birthday on March 11th 1976.>>>

Can you say what she was detained for?

<<<Finally quite a bit of Brian's info came from Paula Jones and I'm sure even Brian isn't aware that it is mixed with impressions that are not all correct.>>>

It seems with Anissa's life, it all depends on who you talk to. It complicates things that she showed a different face to different people depending on the situation, as well as the fact that different people see things through their own eyes and experiences.

<<<As the child actor Stephen Liss found out recently when talking to Kathy Garver. Some of Brian's facts just were not true and K. Garver thinks Stephen Liss makes up good stories>>>

Are you saying that Stephen Liss is not to be believed? Or that K. Garver thinks he's not to be believed?
What did Kathy disagree with as far as Brian's "facts"?

Brian
Brian

April 21st, 2007, 10:20 am #6

I never examined Anissa or Paul's official Juvenile Court Delinquency records, so I don't have any idea what they contain.
I did read Anissa's letter to her Mom from Laguna Niguel. She told her Mom how much she missed her friends. She also said how boring it was there.
Anissa drew a picture of her bedroom window with bars on it. She told her Mom that if she would consider taking the bars off her bedroom window Anissa would consider coming home. The flavor of the letter was positive in tone but laid out what Anissa wanted, it was clear that she was negotiating what terms would lead to her return. It was also clear that Anissa was negotiating as an adult and an equal, not a child negotiating with a parent.
I remember seeing letters from Orville Wright:
I know that Paul got in trouble for a fight he had with another boy at Orville Wright who had been picking on him(the fight was in the cafeteria and drew blood) and the letter mentioned Paul's continuing truancy for which the school noted they considered it serious enought that the matter was "referred the matter to the juvenile authorities" for further action. The school sent Paula a letter about it and said that she should come in for a conference.
It was this which prompted Paula to call John after trying to whip Paul and he fought back against his Mom.
When he got there he suggested that Paul stay with him for a few days so things could cool off. Later John called Paula and said that she was the problem, not Paul. When they came by the house to pick up his things it was really ugly. Paul was really mean and said some very hurtful things to his Mom, egged on by his Dad.
Paul didn't write letters as a rule, but he did write one apologizing for the way he treated her and he mentioned this. He said that he was upset and his Dad told him to tell Paula what he thought of her.
Paul said he was angry about being made to go to school, which Paula certainly did and events would prove John didn't. Jacob Gordon's letter gives credence to that.
At some point while living with his Dad, Paul was called into Juvenile Court for continuing his truancy. Paula got a letter about that even though Paul was in John's custody at that point.
The custody hearing filled in a lot blanks. Sometime while living with his Dad Paul and a friend "borrowed" a minibike which was stolen from them, or at least that was the story.

Anissa was declared delinquent at 16 because she ran away after her Dad died, she remained a delinquent until her 18th birthday. I remember reading the wording in which the court considered "her a person in need of supervision," the magic words in declaring a child a juvenile delinquent.

I read letters which Paul wrote from "Juvenile" to his Mom. I remember they struck me as sad. Unfortunately, they weren't dated and while expressing Paul's promise to try harder to stay out of trouble, They didn't mention what he had done. But I do remember Paul saying something about private school. He did mention being picked on a lot at Orville Wright and saying that a new school might be a better idea.

Like I said, I don't know what the records that I never read said. I know a lot about how Paula feels and felt because she told me. I will say that she was the only one making Paul go to school. And that created a lot of friction between the two of them, and it was this which eventually led to the big blow-up in 1972.
In this one thing I absolutely believe Paula was right and John was wrong. Paul's truancy was to lead to a whole bunch of problems later. The Judge agreeing with John about Paul's truancy was the worst mistake anyone made. Jacob Gordon saw it and wrote a letter saying it.

Always remember what Anissa wrote in her own hand: I wish love was a feeling, not a word.

I think that is where the trouble started.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2007, 10:45 am #7

I never knew that Paul was chronically picked on at Orville Wright...And, I was under the impression that his letters from juvie as well as jail were pretty self-serving and not "sad" as you say.

While I thank you for your response and info, you didn't address any of my questions. ???

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2007, 6:03 pm #8

<<<Anissa was detained and released again before her death in August 1976; but that was after her 18th birthday on March 11th 1976.>>>

Can you say what she was detained for?

<<<Finally quite a bit of Brian's info came from Paula Jones and I'm sure even Brian isn't aware that it is mixed with impressions that are not all correct.>>>

It seems with Anissa's life, it all depends on who you talk to. It complicates things that she showed a different face to different people depending on the situation, as well as the fact that different people see things through their own eyes and experiences.

<<<As the child actor Stephen Liss found out recently when talking to Kathy Garver. Some of Brian's facts just were not true and K. Garver thinks Stephen Liss makes up good stories>>>

Are you saying that Stephen Liss is not to be believed? Or that K. Garver thinks he's not to be believed?
What did Kathy disagree with as far as Brian's "facts"?
She had a Traffic stop on Pacific Coast Hwy. in Encinitas (San Diego to L.A.) and was detained for open Alcohol and drug paraphernalia, but released after spending 6 hours in lock up in San Diego. (I suppose that Encinitas used the San Diego county lock up facilities.) She called her business manager (Jules Katz) who was supposed to get a lawyer for her, but they released her before any lawyer showed. The charges were filed but later dropped without any explanation. The documents referenced that it was not her first incident.

Stephen Liss apparently really knew the Feddersons well, but not so the Jones'. (He knew the Fedderson sons and hence the Petticoat Junction group.) He relied on some of Brian's info and got really burned when it did not turn out to be true, so now Kathy Garver doesn't think much of Stephen.

Can you believe Stephen? Well he was there, worked as a child actor on Family Affair as well as other TV shows. Time dims the memory, but he sounds reasonable to me. (He knew about the relationship with Leif Garret and the drug connection there, before Leif mentioned it in a press conference last year.)

Note: if you check Bobby's old posts you'll see that he used to get into fights protecting Paul, but had to stop when he heard that Paul was abusing his help. That was c.7th - 8th grade at Orville Wright Jr. High. Sandy said that Paul would agree to do things or supply things when he couldn't or wouldn't deliver, he HATED school and was spoiled, a classic combination for getting beat up in school!

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2007, 9:26 pm #9

Thank you for answering my questions.
Just have one more....

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that because Anissa's prior run-in's with the law were when she was a juvenile, those records were sealed. So, when she was arrested at 18 they may have let her go due to this being a "first offense" (since the records were sealed).
Now in this latest post you say that the "documents indicated it wasn't her first incident".
So she did get in trouble with the law more than once after she became "of age"?

Me
Me

April 22nd, 2007, 2:42 pm #10

She had a Traffic stop on Pacific Coast Hwy. in Encinitas (San Diego to L.A.) and was detained for open Alcohol and drug paraphernalia, but released after spending 6 hours in lock up in San Diego. (I suppose that Encinitas used the San Diego county lock up facilities.) She called her business manager (Jules Katz) who was supposed to get a lawyer for her, but they released her before any lawyer showed. The charges were filed but later dropped without any explanation. The documents referenced that it was not her first incident.

Stephen Liss apparently really knew the Feddersons well, but not so the Jones'. (He knew the Fedderson sons and hence the Petticoat Junction group.) He relied on some of Brian's info and got really burned when it did not turn out to be true, so now Kathy Garver doesn't think much of Stephen.

Can you believe Stephen? Well he was there, worked as a child actor on Family Affair as well as other TV shows. Time dims the memory, but he sounds reasonable to me. (He knew about the relationship with Leif Garret and the drug connection there, before Leif mentioned it in a press conference last year.)

Note: if you check Bobby's old posts you'll see that he used to get into fights protecting Paul, but had to stop when he heard that Paul was abusing his help. That was c.7th - 8th grade at Orville Wright Jr. High. Sandy said that Paul would agree to do things or supply things when he couldn't or wouldn't deliver, he HATED school and was spoiled, a classic combination for getting beat up in school!
As I explained Paula and letters and documents in her possession were my main source. I don't think Paula kept things she didn't want to. Kathy has told people that she went to Anissa's birthday party. I saw Trise there, I saw B, R and M there. I saw Sebastian Cabot there. I saw Brian's present to Anissa, but no where did I see Kathy.

I did see pictures which had been trimmed, some severely. Was Kathy cut out. I don't know.

E! was one of the side of the story(and certainly not the truth in and of itself), Paula is the other side.

If you can't recognize that the truth is somewhere in the middle, you will get lost.

I think that she would have called Mr. Katz, because she would have bee afaid to let Les.
I know that she couldn't have told her Mom and would have never chosen to if she could.

I told you that only real hero in this story is Les Kaufman and Steve Lodge. And my logic is my own. They genuinely cared about Anissa by genuinely caring about Paul. Cards and letter were always addressed to both of them.

Paula told the story about Anissa writing Mr. Hartmann and Mr. Fedderson a letter begging them to allow Anissa to wear more adult clothes. She was mortified as a 12/13 year old to have to wear those little girl dresses which constantly exposed her underwear and the pigtails. She begged them. Mr. Hartmann ran into Paula in the hall and asked what's wrong with your daughter, she works with me everyday and she writes me a letter?

I think that was what was wrong with Anissa. When she left, the only four people she genuinely felt any friendship or affection for were: Brian Keith, Steve Lodge(who took the family to Disneyland), Sebastian Cabot and Les Kaufman.
Les wrote Anissa and Paul constantly. He genuinely cared about them and showed it. Les is the one who made Anissa's funeral arrangements, as he did later for Paul. Paul and Paula and later Paula alone were prostrate with grief after their deaths.

Instead of E!'s Mommies Dearest, I would have talked about Anissa and those stupid pigtails, the time she missed from her friends. How most people ignored her brother, which really offended Anissa. I know she decided that if they didn't care about him, they were acting like they cared about her.

Confirmation of reply: