Who's Trying to Hoodwink Whom?

Who's Trying to Hoodwink Whom?

October 8th, 2009, 1:24 am #1

"The sensationalized reference to the use of a "hammer and chisel" in a cryopreservation demonstrates either Mr. Johnson's ignorance or an effort to hoodwink the public. In a surgical context, those instruments are called a "mallet and osteotome" commonly used by orthopedists for surgical procedures involving bone. In testimony before a hearing of the Arizona House of Representatives in 2004, Alcor in fact testified that these instruments are utilized in cryonics surgical procedures.http://alcor.org/press/response.html

I don't care what Alcor testified, in 2004. The utensil being used in the photo in Johnson's book is not a "medical mallet," it's a ball peen hammer with a wooden handle. I suppose Alcor could try to say the photo didn't come out of their facility, but personally, I'm not aware of any other facility that chops off heads and allows people to take pictures.

For Alcor to try to pass a ball peen hammer off as a "medical mallet" should be insulting to ALL of you. As I'm sure most of you can figure out for yourselves, medical mallets used in surgery are made of surgical steel, THEY DO NOT HAVE WOODEN HANDLES. (Think about blood soaking in, and you'll realize there would be sterilization issues.)

Alcor didn't mention the fact that someone called into Nightline and lied, to try to cover up for them, by stating the AIDS patient died in his bedroom, alone with his nurse and partner, when it's on THEIR WEBSITE that he died in a makeshift operating room in a garage...just like Larry Johnson wrote and said. I hope he countersues them.

October 8th, 2009, 4:18 am #2

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/us/08nurse.html

Nobody seems to be perfect, even where it is "regulated".

Cheers,

FD

October 8th, 2009, 10:16 am #3

How many people are working in cryonics? (About two dozen, I believe.) What percentage of those are incompetent and/or corrupt?

How many medical professionals are there? (Millions) What percentage of those are incompetent and/or corrupt?

Some baskets have a lot more "bad apples" than others, and I think this comparison is pretty much a "no brainer."

October 9th, 2009, 12:25 pm #4

"The sensationalized reference to the use of a "hammer and chisel" in a cryopreservation demonstrates either Mr. Johnson's ignorance or an effort to hoodwink the public. In a surgical context, those instruments are called a "mallet and osteotome" commonly used by orthopedists for surgical procedures involving bone. In testimony before a hearing of the Arizona House of Representatives in 2004, Alcor in fact testified that these instruments are utilized in cryonics surgical procedures.http://alcor.org/press/response.html

I don't care what Alcor testified, in 2004. The utensil being used in the photo in Johnson's book is not a "medical mallet," it's a ball peen hammer with a wooden handle. I suppose Alcor could try to say the photo didn't come out of their facility, but personally, I'm not aware of any other facility that chops off heads and allows people to take pictures.

For Alcor to try to pass a ball peen hammer off as a "medical mallet" should be insulting to ALL of you. As I'm sure most of you can figure out for yourselves, medical mallets used in surgery are made of surgical steel, THEY DO NOT HAVE WOODEN HANDLES. (Think about blood soaking in, and you'll realize there would be sterilization issues.)

Alcor didn't mention the fact that someone called into Nightline and lied, to try to cover up for them, by stating the AIDS patient died in his bedroom, alone with his nurse and partner, when it's on THEIR WEBSITE that he died in a makeshift operating room in a garage...just like Larry Johnson wrote and said. I hope he countersues them.
Does this look like a "medical mallet," or a ball peen hammer, to you?
http://frozenbook.com/photos-9.php (It's the color version of the photo of Alcor's so-called "Medical Mallet," from Johnson's book.)

Alcor might have been able to fool the public and/or the courts, the first time around, but I'm not going to sit back and watch these people lie about their degree of professionalism, or their quality of patient care.

THIS is a REAL medical mallet that would be used in surgery:

October 13th, 2009, 3:12 am #5

I hate to belabor the obvious, but all patients are going to be stored at below -130C. Their severely compromised immune systems happen to be 100% protected by the deep cold for centuries to come. Sterility is a rather moot point at this juncture, at least as far as the patient is concerned. You can't seriously expect us to believe mature nanotech will have a problem killing a few germs...

October 13th, 2009, 4:06 am #6

http://www.network54.com/Forum/291677/m ... eeeeezzzzz

I guess Larry could claim defamation because it was a statement of fact. However, I think it's a bit of a stretch.

October 13th, 2009, 4:40 am #7

Nanotech might have some applications, but I think it will be of limited use and will be strictly regulated, just as asbestos are. Already many scientists are raising red flags about the technology. For example, according to published papers, carbon nanotube, a poster child for the “nanotechnology revolution”, are as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities. Some of the nano materials have the potential to cause mesothelioma. So even if Alcor’s treatment does not get you, the nano treatment might :-)

October 13th, 2009, 12:23 pm #8

http://www.network54.com/Forum/291677/m ... eeeeezzzzz

I guess Larry could claim defamation because it was a statement of fact. However, I think it's a bit of a stretch.
Yes, "Luke," I was pointing out that it could not be sterilized, because Alcor was claiming it was a "medical mallet," when it was clearly a ball peen hammer.

The importance of this is, Alcor is only damaging their own case. Attempting to defend, (or, worse yet, to cover up), their past mistakes is only going to lead to more (valid) criticisms. They need to regroup and take another course of action.

October 13th, 2009, 5:31 pm #9

Nanotech might have some applications, but I think it will be of limited use and will be strictly regulated, just as asbestos are. Already many scientists are raising red flags about the technology. For example, according to published papers, carbon nanotube, a poster child for the “nanotechnology revolution”, are as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities. Some of the nano materials have the potential to cause mesothelioma. So even if Alcor’s treatment does not get you, the nano treatment might :-)
Stain-free wooden handles.

October 15th, 2009, 3:07 pm #10

“Stain-free wooden handles.”

That’s just what Alcor needs! If Sears sells them, Alcor buys them.