My Diagram of CI's Perfusion Circuit

My Diagram of CI's Perfusion Circuit

May 31st, 2009, 6:19 pm #1

The diagram I recently made for CI's perfusion circuit was never meant to be on scale, or positionally accurate; it was simply a basic representation of the layout of their circuit. For those who have offered their input, I am well aware the pressure line is a circuit pressure, not a patient pressure. In fact, it was I who brought this to CI's attention, at the time of my previous visit, in December 2007, explaining they had been measuring the pressure of the small-gauge cannulae they were using, more than anything else.

Also, I am well aware patient pressures should be measured at the level of the patient, as it's something perfusionists learn very early in their training, (not to mention that it's simple physics). In fact, Andy added a pole to the CI perfusion cart, while I was there last week, so that the pressure display box could be at the level of the patient. (They are unlikely to have a direct patient pressure, but will measure off the cannula connector, (which will be more reflective of a patient pressure than the port on the filter), whenever able to.)

There is a write-up, to go along with the diagram, that has yet to be completed. It will explain these things, and more, in detail. After the write-up is published, I will welcome all questions, or comments, (whether made directly, or through CI).

I enjoyed my visit to CI very much, as Ben and Andy are always a pleasure to work with!

June 1st, 2009, 5:37 am #2

Where is this diagram of CI's perfusion circuit? I must have missed something, including any recent trip you took to CI.

FD