cryonics industry questions

cryonics industry questions

December 6th, 2009, 5:22 am #1

In no particular order:

What is being done to move cryonics into the mainstream? How might the cryonics industry become a competitive market? What would attract venture capital into the industry? Where is the most currently favorable regulatory environment for cryonics? Has anyone projected demand growth? Could global organ markets and organ preservation be an intermediate step? How might institutions to monitor and evaluate cryonics be designed? How is cryonics being rebranded? Who is raising awareness and engaging the media? Who is coordinating all this?

December 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm #2

Ah ah ah hah ha ha ha ~~~~~ !!! ? You're kidding right?

Straight answer-- Noody, nothing, nowhere and never. SEriously, you have to examine the situation as it IS... and the situation as it IS-- is that there are specific EVENTS or SITUATIONS that you can examine-- to answer your question. For example....

1. Alcor retains a public relations agency.

2. David Letterman joked about TW and the tuna can.

3. Owada is being ignored.

4. Representative Stump was threatened.

5. etc etc etc...

Tell me something of your background ... Are you singed up? Are you a reporter from the National Enquirer?

You don't seem to have any history of reading CF at all so I have to know something about you to know where to start.
Last edited by CF_Moderator on December 6th, 2009, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 6th, 2009, 9:11 pm #3

In no particular order:

What is being done to move cryonics into the mainstream? How might the cryonics industry become a competitive market? What would attract venture capital into the industry? Where is the most currently favorable regulatory environment for cryonics? Has anyone projected demand growth? Could global organ markets and organ preservation be an intermediate step? How might institutions to monitor and evaluate cryonics be designed? How is cryonics being rebranded? Who is raising awareness and engaging the media? Who is coordinating all this?

I'd begin by reading this (slightly dated?) article by Stephen Bridge. I know it may not answer your questions, but it's just meant to serve as a reminder that it's very difficult to swoop in as a hero. Perhaps other Cold Filter users will provide the answers you seek.

As for me, I guess - technically speaking - I am attempting to "rebrand" cryonics for the college crowd with a series of videos, illustrations, and writings. I am currently in research mode, and so they should be ready by mid to late January. That said, I don't think they'll rock the world...

...but I certainly plan on going down swinging

December 7th, 2009, 4:50 am #4

As I have pointed out on this forum many times (though most probably before the recent flurry of seeming anti-cryonics sentiment on here), "cryonics" is a "fledgling industry" if you can even call it that. It is at the state of development where regulation, for example, can only be detrimental to its growth to what might be characterized as an "industry".

Unfortunately, some had too high of expectations of it, and not seeing a proper and normal response from the PR agencies (largely nonexistent) of the largest firms in the industry (nonexistent), they went into attack mode, it would appear.

I counsel those critics, if they have the best interests of cryonics in mind, to get their hands and fingernails dirty, and do something positive for cryonics for a change. Even the smallest of mammals washed out, perfused with vitrification agents, cooled to ITS temp, saved for a while, then brought back and revived successfully, would be the basis for more than a "fledgling" industry. Alas we see this not yet. So do something positive towards that end, instead of bitching, that's my view.

And yes, I agree the current funding agents of whatever cryonics research there is, should be moving in different directions than where they are now. Hello?

Yet the same critics have the unmitigated gall to blame some cryo firms for engaging in any kind of "animal research" which could help with R&D such as the above! I'm about to give up on those kind of folks.

I think it is time to start labelling them "anti-cryonics" unless they have something "pro-cryonics" to offer.

Cheers,

FD
Last edited by Finance_Department on December 7th, 2009, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2009, 1:19 pm #5

In no particular order:

Compete with who? Who's competing? Cryonics is so small that it cannot survive without cooperation. It's like putting a blind man against deaf man on a basketball court. Watch them compete. Who are you and what is your own history of following cryonics?

December 8th, 2009, 1:37 am #6

Ah ah ah hah ha ha ha ~~~~~ !!! ? You're kidding right?

Straight answer-- Noody, nothing, nowhere and never. SEriously, you have to examine the situation as it IS... and the situation as it IS-- is that there are specific EVENTS or SITUATIONS that you can examine-- to answer your question. For example....

1. Alcor retains a public relations agency.

2. David Letterman joked about TW and the tuna can.

3. Owada is being ignored.

4. Representative Stump was threatened.

5. etc etc etc...

Tell me something of your background ... Are you singed up? Are you a reporter from the National Enquirer?

You don't seem to have any history of reading CF at all so I have to know something about you to know where to start.
>>Tell me something of your background ... Are you singed up? Are you a reporter from the National Enquirer?

You don't seem to have any history of reading CF at all so I have to know something about you to know where to start. >>

I am not yet signed up but I intend to, though what is on here does not quite inspire confidence in cryonics organizations as they are now. I am not with the media, unless you count blogging. Also, one should not readily assume that any given interested party is out to 'destroy the movement', at least intentionally. That might tend to be counterproductive to growing the movement, no?

I do not have a history of reading CF because I am new to this forum, and the lack of an index or some set sequence of posts makes it difficult to follow what conversations have come here before, of which I am sure there have been many that have answered some, if not all, of my questions at least in part. So I humbly ask for your accumulated wisdom, from all 15~20 or so active members.

December 8th, 2009, 1:43 am #7

As I have pointed out on this forum many times (though most probably before the recent flurry of seeming anti-cryonics sentiment on here), "cryonics" is a "fledgling industry" if you can even call it that. It is at the state of development where regulation, for example, can only be detrimental to its growth to what might be characterized as an "industry".

Unfortunately, some had too high of expectations of it, and not seeing a proper and normal response from the PR agencies (largely nonexistent) of the largest firms in the industry (nonexistent), they went into attack mode, it would appear.

I counsel those critics, if they have the best interests of cryonics in mind, to get their hands and fingernails dirty, and do something positive for cryonics for a change. Even the smallest of mammals washed out, perfused with vitrification agents, cooled to ITS temp, saved for a while, then brought back and revived successfully, would be the basis for more than a "fledgling" industry. Alas we see this not yet. So do something positive towards that end, instead of bitching, that's my view.

And yes, I agree the current funding agents of whatever cryonics research there is, should be moving in different directions than where they are now. Hello?

Yet the same critics have the unmitigated gall to blame some cryo firms for engaging in any kind of "animal research" which could help with R&D such as the above! I'm about to give up on those kind of folks.

I think it is time to start labelling them "anti-cryonics" unless they have something "pro-cryonics" to offer.

Cheers,

FD
>>Even the smallest of mammals washed out, perfused with vitrification agents, cooled to ITS temp, saved for a while, then brought back and revived successfully, would be the basis for more than a "fledgling" industry.

Ideally I would like to be able to contribute in this direct way, but I have no science or engineering background that would be relevant. I do think that there are positive, constructive roles that many others with skills in business, finance, law, marketing etc could play, but I am not sure what exactly.

>>And yes, I agree the current funding agents of whatever cryonics research there is, should be moving in different directions than where they are now. Hello?

Who are the current funding agents, and what directions are they taking currently, and what should they be doing instead?

December 8th, 2009, 2:00 am #8

I'd begin by reading this (slightly dated?) article by Stephen Bridge. I know it may not answer your questions, but it's just meant to serve as a reminder that it's very difficult to swoop in as a hero. Perhaps other Cold Filter users will provide the answers you seek.

As for me, I guess - technically speaking - I am attempting to "rebrand" cryonics for the college crowd with a series of videos, illustrations, and writings. I am currently in research mode, and so they should be ready by mid to late January. That said, I don't think they'll rock the world...

...but I certainly plan on going down swinging
Thank for you sharing the bridge article, and I look forward to seeing your finished product.

The point of the bridge article is about the comparative effectiveness of Alcor's conventional advertising vs. targeted to specific groups vs. individual/personal proselytizing. I think that all of these have a role to play in getting the word out and bringing people on board, and that some are more cost effective methods than others, and there are still many more possibilities.

December 8th, 2009, 3:47 am #9

>>Even the smallest of mammals washed out, perfused with vitrification agents, cooled to ITS temp, saved for a while, then brought back and revived successfully, would be the basis for more than a "fledgling" industry.

Ideally I would like to be able to contribute in this direct way, but I have no science or engineering background that would be relevant. I do think that there are positive, constructive roles that many others with skills in business, finance, law, marketing etc could play, but I am not sure what exactly.

>>And yes, I agree the current funding agents of whatever cryonics research there is, should be moving in different directions than where they are now. Hello?

Who are the current funding agents, and what directions are they taking currently, and what should they be doing instead?
"Who are the current funding agents, and what directions are they taking currently, and what should they be doing instead? "

Well, AH (may we call you AH? people started calling me FD and I didn't care), apart from the donations and such that the organizations receive from the "rabble" level of cryonicists, probably the two biggest funding agents are (1) the funding Suspended Animation, Inc gets from the Life Extension Foundation (LEF) and (2) the funding Alcor gets from what I have called "the big three" which are LEF (determined by Saul Kent and Bill Faloon), the Rothblatts and their very curious organization, and who is that billionnaire family from Canada (name escapes me since they do limit their public connection to cryonics, it would seem ... Miller, is it?).

If you search for Melody Maxim's posts on here, you will learn a lot (TMI actually) about (1). For the longest time, until Larry Johnson's book came out about Alcor, and she seems to admire him greatly, she would say nothing about Alcor. (2) above is all about Alcor's funding, and mostly got buried under the recent months of Maxim's avalanche regarding SA's. There was a multi-year incentive program in the millions of dollars announced a couple of years back, for Alcor, from this benevolent triumverate. I do wonder whatever happened to it.

As to what they are doing now and should be doing instead, I'd say the same answer applies to both 1 and 2. They are accepting an extremely low professional level of medical expertise into the cryonics operations they fund, which in many cases is costing them as much as it would to have professionals doing it. Especially at SA, as Maxim has noted on infinite occasions, and given numbers for. I'd say the biggest financial issue in cryonics now is that the big money benefactors are not paying very close attention to how their money is actually being used.

Finance Department

December 8th, 2009, 5:56 am #10

>>Tell me something of your background ... Are you singed up? Are you a reporter from the National Enquirer?

You don't seem to have any history of reading CF at all so I have to know something about you to know where to start. >>

I am not yet signed up but I intend to, though what is on here does not quite inspire confidence in cryonics organizations as they are now. I am not with the media, unless you count blogging. Also, one should not readily assume that any given interested party is out to 'destroy the movement', at least intentionally. That might tend to be counterproductive to growing the movement, no?

I do not have a history of reading CF because I am new to this forum, and the lack of an index or some set sequence of posts makes it difficult to follow what conversations have come here before, of which I am sure there have been many that have answered some, if not all, of my questions at least in part. So I humbly ask for your accumulated wisdom, from all 15~20 or so active members.
...so there's no way to tell if you're friend or foe-- or just one of us pretending to be new. You offer no information about yourself as I asked. You say you blog. Show me.