Brain-only preservation

Brain-only preservation

January 13th, 2011, 6:13 pm #1

My understanding of neuropreservation is that the brain is preserved within the head (cephalon) because removing it from the skull would likely result in damage and the skull provides the best protection for it, anyway. I understand that revival from a neuropreservation would likely involve discarding the cephalon and growing a completely new body including head to encase the brain, but that cryonic storage takes place in the head.

But now I'm starting to see brain-only preservations. I've seen images, and now today on Imminst I see this story from Russia:

http://www.imminst.org/forum/topic/4608 ... ryostasis/

Who can tell me more about this kind of brain-only preservation? Is the brain not damaged by removal from the skull? Is this option available from anywhere besides KryoRus? If I view images of a brain-only preservation, is it a safe bet that KryoRus did it?
Last edited by Jonathan_Hinek on January 13th, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2011, 12:13 am #2

Just bumping to see if more exposure might get an answer. :)

January 16th, 2011, 1:54 am #3

KrioRus is the only place I'm aware of that offers this service. My understanding is that there are concerns about mechanical damage and perfusion difficulty if the skull is removed. There may be legal benefits to the removal of skull because the skeleton is what constitutes the person's "remains" for legal purposes (or so I've heard).

There was some mention a while back that Matthew Sullivan's father was fixed in formalin and removed from his skull prior to cryopreservation. Chemical fixation helps prevent mechanical bruising. It also protects against decay, but since it does not preserve lipids cold storage is still necessary.

January 16th, 2011, 5:35 am #4

> There may be legal benefits to the removal of skull because the skeleton is what constitutes the person's "remains" for legal purposes (or so I've heard).

Weird. But convenient. :)

> There was some mention a while back that Matthew Sullivan's father was fixed in formalin and removed from his skull prior to cryopreservation.

Was that done by KryoRus?

Thanks for the info.

January 16th, 2011, 8:52 am #5

They updated their fracturing page with the picture you are referring to: http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/Cryop ... uring.html

January 17th, 2011, 2:54 pm #6

Thank you, that really clarifies this for me. I was starting to wonder if someone in America were doing such preservations and why. Looking at Alcor's case summaries, I now see several such brain-only preservations, all for anomalous situations, not done as a matter of course.