Alcor vs. Johnson

Alcor vs. Johnson

January 21st, 2010, 1:10 pm #1

There's a hearing scheduled, in the NY court, today. I did a brief update, on my blog.

http://cryomedical.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... pdate.html

January 22nd, 2010, 11:24 pm #2

In a recently filed document, Alcor's attorneys stated that Alcor disputes it is a "public figure." What's up with that? (Rhetorical question...if the courts consider them a "public figure," it will make it more difficult to win a defamation suit against Johnson, et. al.)

Call me crazy, but I would say the Ted Williams scandal, alone, made them a "public figure." On top of that, there's been various newspaper stories, magazine articles, a Barbara Walters segment that included an interview with Tanya Jones and a tour of the Alcor facility, "Mothermelters" and all the news stories related to the Dora Kent incident, god knows how many lawsuits, and probably some political lobbying. Not a "public figure"? Are you kidding me??

January 23rd, 2010, 1:06 am #3

Here is what Wikipedia says in part:

"Public figure is a legal term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with malice (knowledge or reckless disregard for the truth). The burden of proof is higher in the case of a public figure."

Alcor perhaps could be classified as "business leader" in the field of cryonics. However, I think it that case it should be established to the satisfaction of the court that cryonics is a legitimate field. Failing to establish that legitimacy, paradoxically, might not help Alcor.

January 29th, 2010, 4:20 pm #4

There's a hearing scheduled, in the NY court, today. I did a brief update, on my blog.

http://cryomedical.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... pdate.html
I heard a rumor, though, that LJ faked a hospital stay for one day as an excuse for failing to show up in court. Anyone know for sure?

FD

January 30th, 2010, 12:36 pm #5

I doubt Johnson has been required to show up in court, in Arizona, or New York, neither of which is his state of residence. It's typical for only the attorneys to be present, for pre-trial motions and/or hearings.

January 30th, 2010, 4:43 pm #6

But that's OK, this forum is mostly based on freedom of speech, so we can say about what we want to, except now this new year per CF Mod no flames or personal attacks and I agree it is much more pleasant.

Back to the subject, having no solid information instead, I was just relaying a rumor I heard. If there are multiple court hearings, I was not aware of that. It might have referred to the one you mentioned in the main post above, or maybe not. I'm a little surprised that since you gave us some apparently factual information about the existence of that hearing, you have after all this time no further factual information to give us about it. Especially since you have been interested in the area enough to do so on previous occasions

Enjoy the weekend,

FD

January 30th, 2010, 5:33 pm #7

So passing on rumors, is better than voicing opinion?
And lets demand facts while we do it too...
as i said before ez up fd...

January 31st, 2010, 4:20 pm #8

...FD asking for facts, while doling out rumors. I've posted information, on how to access the court proceedings, in New York, several times. If FD was really curious as to the facts, (as opposed to spreading malicious rumors), he could look them up, himself. Or, he could do like I did, and request email updates on the case, from Web Civil Supreme. I really don't see the point in posting gossip, (which probably came from a source known to have spread a number of lies, in the post), and asking for someone else to provide the facts. Does FD really think Johnson is stupid enough to "fake a hospital stay," something that could easily be verified, by the court? I seriously doubt it. All he had to do is ask for a delay, which he has done, so that he can have "...additional time to consider the pending motions of Alcor..." blah blah blah. I guess, since Alcor has been granted several delays, it's Johnson's turn.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

February 6th, 2010, 6:02 am #9

I doubt Johnson has been required to show up in court, in Arizona, or New York, neither of which is his state of residence. It's typical for only the attorneys to be present, for pre-trial motions and/or hearings.
I have little time to devote to most of this stuff, and have already largely concluded that Alcor is beyond hope and repair, though not for reasons that Johnson and his fans promulgate.

As a brief aside, let me state that silly objections mentioned in other subthreads above, which I did not take the time to answer before, regarding me stating certain rumor-type speculations, and then asking if anyone could confirm or definitively deny them, are just that: silly. Absent facts, it is not out of order via any mode of thinking to speculate or to ask if anyone knows information that could turn the speculation into fact or the opposite.

That I was mildly flamed on this by two posters should probably have been taken note of by the Mod, but I have a thick skin, I don't really care.

However, from the document linked below, available on that NY Supreme Court site that Melody Maxim has advertised, we see some answers to my speculations. That gives me cause to wonder why she has not posted that information as eagerly as she has posted junk supportive of Johnson. Will she apologize for having claimed that Johnson was not required to show up in court? Will she apologize for not having brought to our attention this definitive documentation that Johnson actually did bow out of showing up at a required court matter for some alleged medical reasons? Will Johnson fake yet another motorcycle accident resulting in his fake death? Where are you, "Desert Rat"?

So many questions, so little time. But here is the link to this Court-filed document with very interesting attachments:

http://rapidshare.com/files/346582114/LJ.pdf

Other interesting items included therein:

His wife, Beverly, is a co-defendant.

Johnson's social security number, date of birth, and last known address are now a matter of public record. (That is what often happens when somebody crosses the line from common civility to transgressing laws, regulations, and such.)

His middle name is "Dean".

He indeed is a motorcycle enthusiast. I wonder if the Creekside bunch are his friends. No, wait, they were deemed some kind of cult, in the Book. Sorry.

Alcor's attorney seems to think that his recent "medical excuse" for not showing up as required in court, is in fear of him being found in Contempt of Court for not adhering to said Court's prior restraint on him talking about Alcor, much less publishing a book! This of course contrasts with prior posters on CF claiming there has never been a "contempt" issue. The following excerpt is of interest: "... we intend to demonstrate that Defendants Larry and Beverly Johnson, with knowledge of a default judgment, willfully and contumaciously violated it, and I want them held in contempt of court because they've thumbed their noses at everybody and everything, just as we
set forth in our papers."

An interesting item about Johnson not showing up due to a "hospitalization":

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 8:05 AM
To: Sid Horwitz
Subject: Johnson adv. Alcor
Sid,
I received word this morning that Mr. Johnson has been hospitalized in Las Vegas and therefore, the Johnsons will not be attending their depositions today. I will be there, but I wanted to let you know as soon as I learned of this new development.
Jim

For more on that, read the final document attached to the file.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

FD

February 6th, 2010, 7:41 am #10