100 year

100 year

LucaT
LucaT

May 5th, 2011, 3:40 pm #1

http://100yearstarshipstudy.com/

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) - 100 YEAR STARSHIP STUDY

What about cryonics as business model for a proposal for developement and model of spaceship?

May 17th, 2011, 6:19 am #2

The cheapest option within the next century or two will be to send information as a high speed bullet so to speak and replicate what you want at a distant location.  Why send out a single failure point, if you can send thousands and thousands of copies in different directions? Think of mother nature attempting to polinate a valley on a larger scale.

Some physicists speak of the difficulty in folding space and trying to send a single human and his/her starship through a wormhole; what I wonder about is the prospect sending the populace of a small town within the size of a mini-sugar cube.

May 18th, 2011, 2:58 pm #3

Previously the following was written:

"Some physicists speak of the difficulty in folding space and trying to send a single human and his/her starship through a wormhole; what I wonder about is the prospect sending the populace of a small town within the size of a mini-sugar cube."

Here: Let's start with folding space and sending some reasonably sized
visible items through a wormhole.

Some magicians can create an extremely good illusion of this happening. I can touch on some of the skills the magician would need, which are (In a detailed explanation there would be a number of qualifications and notes which would accompany the following):

a. The magician would need to be one of the best in the world.

b. He would need to be able to do a number of things at the same time - not just multiplexing.

c. He would need to have praticed his moves tens of thousands (I believe that it is in the 10,000s rather than 1000s - this needs to be checked) of times.

d. He would need to have praticed for 10 years (indicative) or more.

Note that such an illusion is very different from a professional camera trick. It is also different from seeing a magician doing it on TV or on a DVD. If for example you are watching it on a DVD, the magician could have been been filmed 100 times doing the illusions and only the best version is shown on the DVD. The camera filming the illusion, only has one perspective (usually the one that most favors the magician) but people watching the illusion in real life can change their perspective many times and move to positions that least favor the magician. I believe that there are magicians that can overcome all these difficulties.

October 4th, 2011, 4:36 am #4

http://100yearstarshipstudy.com/

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) - 100 YEAR STARSHIP STUDY

What about cryonics as business model for a proposal for developement and model of spaceship?
Hi LucaT,

I'm curious to know if you had the opportunity to attend the symposium this past weekend; and if so, care to share your thoughts about your personal experience?

For me, this was a wonderful experience and I feel both privileged and honored to have had the opportunity to attend. I also felt privileged to have had an opportunity to speak with Vernor Vinge (Author) and Jill Tarter (SETI) privately; and briefly, with Kevin Kelly (co-founder of Wired Magazine), who was kind enough to hold the elevator door open for my significant other and I as it was closing. Kevin asked what I thought was the highlight for the symposium, and I could not help but to point out my personal bias of Vernor Vinge speaking in favor of cryonics as an option for interstellar travel.

Putting cryonics aside, Jill Tarter and I appear to have a similar mindset on how this issue can be resolved at the lowest level of cost. Unfortunately, the downside to the symposium was, no one person could attend all of the lectures because many of them ran in parallel to one another. So, I'm not in a position to fully appreciate Jill's perspective in sending copies of individuals to be constructed at a distance.

In an attempt to be creative on the "sci-fi" front, why not create a pulsed wormhole? The energy requirements to open a worm hole, in theory, is massive. So lets keep the wormhole open as brief as possible with the passage of an ultra-high velocity bullet at the precise moment the whormhole is open.
Last edited by MathewSullivan on October 4th, 2011, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.