RWC 1938A ... more modification / vintage wabi ; IMAGEs >>

RWC 1938A ... more modification / vintage wabi ; IMAGEs >>

January 8th, 2006, 8:49 pm #1

Hi all,

since i've posted my last modifications to my RWC 1938A i've found a few other things to do A friend and fellow watchnut recently posted a project of his own which he added some great looking "wabi" (wear and tear) to his case. Having already had my 1938A case sterilized of company logos, the lume being tinted a vintage yellowish brown, and an acrylic crystal installed i thought his work would be a perfect last touch for my project.

Here is a few "before" photos of my 1938A ...

I had to remove the dial / movement from the watch before adding "wabi" to the case ...

and added wabi to the case ...

and even a bit of wear to the buckle for full effect ...

Only thing remaining to do is return the dial / movement to the case - more pix to come shortly

Hope this was of interest and Best Regards from N.M.

Billy

January 8th, 2006, 11:57 pm #2

Hi Billy

The case looks great ! But its funny we discuss the case of passing on a watch with wasbi to the sealing edge of the watch.. Now we are taking "New" watches and aging them...

I was always a creature of finding things in the "wild"!!

It looks GREAT Billy...

i am very tempted to sending my watch to Jack, but I would like to find Blue steel hands for my watch first.

Any ideas?

best

Bill

January 9th, 2006, 12:56 am #3

to the point most would consider crazy My Tornek-Rayville, Benrus Type I / IIs etc. etc. I see this watch as my "fun project watch" - one where provenence and condition i care less about than just enjoying. As for "finding things in the wild" as you state - i've found originals in the wild (a number of well known sellers offer the original) for sale and the simple fact is a California dialed Panerai is a little out of my reach at $60K plus ! I'm having fun with this one which was the point of buying it to begin with ... Have fun with yours as well and if you find those blued hands let me know if there's an extra pair !

Best Regards from N.M.

Billy

January 9th, 2006, 1:10 am #4

Hi all,

since i've posted my last modifications to my RWC 1938A i've found a few other things to do A friend and fellow watchnut recently posted a project of his own which he added some great looking "wabi" (wear and tear) to his case. Having already had my 1938A case sterilized of company logos, the lume being tinted a vintage yellowish brown, and an acrylic crystal installed i thought his work would be a perfect last touch for my project.

I had to remove the dial / movement from the watch before adding "wabi" to the case ...

Only thing remaining to do is return the dial / movement to the case - more pix to come shortly

Billy
Sorry if this has been covered earlier.
Cheers
Marc

January 9th, 2006, 2:53 am #5

had a bit of wabi applied using a green nylon "scrubby" (yeah the kind you might use on a pan), some water, a small multi-angled rock, and a bit of olive oil afterward The scrubby takes a bit of the sheen / finish off the new leather, the rock adds some area wear .... so on.

Thanks again and Kind Regards from N.M.

Billy

January 9th, 2006, 6:47 am #6

Hi all,

Billy
nt

January 9th, 2006, 12:06 pm #7

Hi all,

Billy
here is another one with new hands and littel vintage don to the numbers

sorry i did the photo in the rung tropic,,,bot you watch look real great
Last edited by BernhardBB on January 9th, 2006, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2006, 1:59 pm #8

Hi all,

Billy
nt

January 10th, 2006, 5:23 am #9

Hi all,

Billy
...no on second thought, it is believable...that someone would intentionally beat their case to look vintage, scratched and worn. Lots of others due it to straps so why not? I think you may have taken it a step too far, IMO. Wouldn't just wearing it for a while have the same effect? I really liked it before the wabi.

January 10th, 2006, 8:09 am #10

Hi all,

Billy
Super nice ! Could you mail me the details of the wabi treatment ?
Cheers,
Mark