(New to the forum) seek advise (MM20 / 1938 / Azimuth)

(New to the forum) seek advise (MM20 / 1938 / Azimuth)

Jack H.
Jack H.

June 16th, 2005, 4:22 pm #1

I've been reading this forum for a while but never really posted. Just wanna say what a great resource this is! Thanks everyone.

I have some question about the 3 watches. I have seen quite a few of you purchased them and I am very close to ordering one myself.

I wanna hear your opinion before biting the bullet -

1. MM20 - to me its very similar to the Panerai, is this considered to be a hi quality watch or is it more of a Poor Man's version? What do collectors think?

2. 1938 - I have not seen one like it except in the vintage model, i do like the dial design but for those who have already gotten one, is the size similar to Panerai?

3. Azimuth - again, is this a tribute / hommage watch to the IWC big pilot? Or is it a tribute to another military watch?

Thanks for any input!

Jack

June 16th, 2005, 5:19 pm #2

The MM20 is the most bang for the buck. All three are good, so it's a matter of style. Which one to YOU like. I don't like the mineral crystal on the Azimuth (prone to scratches).... but the price is less and has a nice movement compared to the MM20 and 1938A.

June 16th, 2005, 5:29 pm #3

I've been reading this forum for a while but never really posted. Just wanna say what a great resource this is! Thanks everyone.

I have some question about the 3 watches. I have seen quite a few of you purchased them and I am very close to ordering one myself.

1. MM20 - to me its very similar to the Panerai, is this considered to be a hi quality watch or is it more of a Poor Man's version? What do collectors think?

2. 1938 - I have not seen one like it except in the vintage model, i do like the dial design but for those who have already gotten one, is the size similar to Panerai?

3. Azimuth - again, is this a tribute / hommage watch to the IWC big pilot? Or is it a tribute to another military watch?

Thanks for any input!

Jack
since it's the only one I've owned of the three, but I would put it up against a panerai (prices taken into consideration) anyday. If they made the MM20 in a 44mm case I'd have one in an instant I just found the 47mm to be a bit too large on my wrist. I prefer the brushed case to the high polish and I think the slimmer case design would be a solid hit if they made it in 44mm. The fit and finish on the MM20 is excellent and the movement solid as a rock. for the money it can't be beat.

June 16th, 2005, 6:43 pm #4

Thanks for any input!

Jack
1. The MM20 is very well made and I wear mine daily and has for a long time. It´s a great watch. Many people don´t like it because it´s a copycat. Some call it a hommage. I´m not sure where I stand. It´s obvious that RXW has used a successfull design. I think it´s a poor mans 1950. But it´s a good watch.

2. 1938. Never seen one of these IRL. I am not totally sold on the looks of it, so it´s not that interesting for me. Now is a good time to get one, since there seem to be a few people unloading them.

3. Azimuth. I just ordered one, it´s due in next week. I think it´s a hommage to the real pilots watches from before. Not sure that I see it as a copy of the IWC Big Pilot. From what I hear the quality is great. Good bang for the buck.

If you only can afford one, I´d go for the MM20. It´s my favourite watch alltogether. I stopped wearing my Panerai when I got it. That´s how neat a watch it is in my book.

The views expressed here is my own.

Good luck on your decision sir.

Niclas Lindström
Stockholm, Sweden

Hªªgen
Hªªgen

June 16th, 2005, 7:02 pm #5

Thanks for any input!

Jack
Not a tribute to the IWC BP. IWC did "it all wrong" by doing an automatic movement, date and power reserve indicator. This has nothing to do with the original B-Uhren. They were all manual (as the Bombardier) and with no dial markings/brand names (like the Bombardier). The Bombardier has all markings engraved on the caseback like an early military watch "should" have. So in that term, the Bombardier is more "true blue" than the IWC, however Azimuth of course was not assigned by the German military, IWC was together with WEMPE, LACO, Stowa and A. Lange & Söhne. With that said, I think the IWC is a stunning watch, but not quite how it was supposed to look if they had a replica in mind.

IMHO you get a very exiting watch as the movement is a new old stock Fontainemelon, full of history and I appreciate that in a watch. And IMHO priced very comfortably.

Last edited by coachjdc on June 17th, 2005, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 16th, 2005, 9:10 pm #6

jetan
jetan

June 16th, 2005, 10:22 pm #7

Thanks for any input!

Jack
nt

jetan
jetan

June 16th, 2005, 10:30 pm #8

it really depends on what look you want (Italian or German) and what size (45mm or 47mm) fits you well. Good luck!

Best
Jose

Chris L.
Chris L.

June 16th, 2005, 11:33 pm #9

Not a tribute to the IWC BP. IWC did "it all wrong" by doing an automatic movement, date and power reserve indicator. This has nothing to do with the original B-Uhren. They were all manual (as the Bombardier) and with no dial markings/brand names (like the Bombardier). The Bombardier has all markings engraved on the caseback like an early military watch "should" have. So in that term, the Bombardier is more "true blue" than the IWC, however Azimuth of course was not assigned by the German military, IWC was together with WEMPE, LACO, Stowa and A. Lange & Söhne. With that said, I think the IWC is a stunning watch, but not quite how it was supposed to look if they had a replica in mind.

IMHO you get a very exiting watch as the movement is a new old stock Fontainemelon, full of history and I appreciate that in a watch. And IMHO priced very comfortably.

nt

Chris L.
Chris L.

June 17th, 2005, 12:06 am #10

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page83.html

...in TZtoolshop Level 1 watchmaking kit...looks very crude and apparently easily available...no wonder they only use them to take them apart for practice.

ETA still for me.

Chris L.