New to the Board and wanted to share my project watch...

New to the Board and wanted to share my project watch...

February 7th, 2006, 6:27 pm #1

I'm new to this board, but wanted to share a project watch I built pretty much from the ground up. First, a friend of mine fabricated a case modeled after the MM20 with a custom broze crown tube and a sterile stainless steel back. He also fabricated a sandwich dial from a brass blank and modeled it after the MM20 minus the seconds sub-dial. Next, I finished the top sandwich dial with a flat black and flat clear coat to give it a vintage look. I also relumed the dial and hands with a custom blend of lume to give it a nice pantina look. The final steps were to polish the whole case and use the "wabi" technique to rough it up a bit. This was followed by putting everything together to make the Unitas movement fit and pressing on a new plastic crystal, which was done by my watch maker. The photos are still a bit premature as I'm waiting to attach the custom created crown guard and custom made leather strap with a gpf style sewn in buckle. Looking for any feedback or thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by gtjanik on February 7th, 2006, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 7th, 2006, 6:43 pm #2

nice looking watch but can you tell me what sort of machinery your mate uses to do his work.

March 20th, 2007, 2:20 pm #3

I'm new to this board, but wanted to share a project watch I built pretty much from the ground up. First, a friend of mine fabricated a case modeled after the MM20 with a custom broze crown tube and a sterile stainless steel back. He also fabricated a sandwich dial from a brass blank and modeled it after the MM20 minus the seconds sub-dial. Next, I finished the top sandwich dial with a flat black and flat clear coat to give it a vintage look. I also relumed the dial and hands with a custom blend of lume to give it a nice pantina look. The final steps were to polish the whole case and use the "wabi" technique to rough it up a bit. This was followed by putting everything together to make the Unitas movement fit and pressing on a new plastic crystal, which was done by my watch maker. The photos are still a bit premature as I'm waiting to attach the custom created crown guard and custom made leather strap with a gpf style sewn in buckle. Looking for any feedback or thoughts? Thanks!

Hello,

That is a beautiful watch. I am hoping to do my own watch project; would you be able/willing to refer me to your friend or whomever did that watch face?

Thanks!

Otto