Audemars are crass & crap.....throw the insults at me!!

Audemars are crass & crap.....throw the insults at me!!

June 2nd, 2006, 6:08 pm #1

firstly, all you guys are being very nicey nice about each others watches, lets have some honest truths and a real hot and fiery discussion...all in good taste..where we can shake hands and enjoy a drink after whether we agree or not ??......anyway, i have just bought a vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive..and a straight talking luxury watch...now i also naturally looked at audemars..what a load of rubbish they are..their only main line is a outdated model called the royal oak or the royal oak offshore..just a ugly heap of metal on your wrist..(and they hail this a design classic!!)..secondly even if u like the royal oak/offshore..why not just stick to the basic designs?? now they have a juan pablo montaya offshore..and that cheap looking thing called the T3!! Which premier brand that reckons its in the "big three" would make a watch for a film..and that too with a huge tacky T3 engraved on the back?? it has brought itself down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches for sly stallone...dont you think that watches at this level and price should be above the celebrities and not having to have celebrities endorse it?? esp action stars of the 1980s??? Shouldnt a watch just ooze class, and if it happens to be that a celebrity wears one then that is ok..but for a brand like AP to make a watch based on a movie or celebrity is pure class...and to top it off they have made a JAY-Z watch with diamonds i heard?? makes me laugh..!! the steve mcqueen monaco by tag huer..thats ok..its just a tag...and a fun watch..but cmon...AP is meant to be legions apart...? how can they ever compare to patek bringing this junk out?? what do you guys think??

June 2nd, 2006, 6:55 pm #2

....and didn't it come out after his fame was already over? Didn't realize "T3" had that lame connection. Yes, terrible marketing...as for the watches themselves... to-each-his-own.
=Speaking honestly though, I wouldn't buy either just because of the names=

June 2nd, 2006, 8:05 pm #3

firstly, all you guys are being very nicey nice about each others watches, lets have some honest truths and a real hot and fiery discussion...all in good taste..where we can shake hands and enjoy a drink after whether we agree or not ??......anyway, i have just bought a vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive..and a straight talking luxury watch...now i also naturally looked at audemars..what a load of rubbish they are..their only main line is a outdated model called the royal oak or the royal oak offshore..just a ugly heap of metal on your wrist..(and they hail this a design classic!!)..secondly even if u like the royal oak/offshore..why not just stick to the basic designs?? now they have a juan pablo montaya offshore..and that cheap looking thing called the T3!! Which premier brand that reckons its in the "big three" would make a watch for a film..and that too with a huge tacky T3 engraved on the back?? it has brought itself down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches for sly stallone...dont you think that watches at this level and price should be above the celebrities and not having to have celebrities endorse it?? esp action stars of the 1980s??? Shouldnt a watch just ooze class, and if it happens to be that a celebrity wears one then that is ok..but for a brand like AP to make a watch based on a movie or celebrity is pure class...and to top it off they have made a JAY-Z watch with diamonds i heard?? makes me laugh..!! the steve mcqueen monaco by tag huer..thats ok..its just a tag...and a fun watch..but cmon...AP is meant to be legions apart...? how can they ever compare to patek bringing this junk out?? what do you guys think??
I Was the lucky owner of a Royal oak offshore until recently, and i think it's all that.
Yeah i sold it to finance another buy (Panerai actually), but i'm sure i'm gonna pick one up further down the road. Preferably the Arnold Schwartzenegger (did that come out right), And not 'cause of it's name but i really do think it's a stunning and superbly constructed watch.
About the names, i think it's funny.
And i can easily understand why they named a watch after the governator, he's got quite a collection
of AP's apparantly (which he actually paid for i'm told)....

Enjoy your Overseas that to is a nice piece, it would still have been even if they had decided to call it "Bucks fizz".
Btw, do you know the VC that was sort of a forerunner for the overseas line?.
It was designed by Gerald Genta, yup the same guy who designed the Ap Oak + was it the Patek Nautilus or the Aquanaut? among so many others......

Regards
Martin

June 2nd, 2006, 9:37 pm #4

my title that AP are crass & crap was just as an eye catcher...just as many might look down upon my VC overseas chrono...it was just som thoughts of mine...frankly any fine watch brand like AP i think shouldnt associate with guys like arnie....leave them to associate with lower brands like breitling(which has john travolta), and tag heuer, omega etc etc..if you ask me fine watches such as patek, vacheron, audemars, breguet, should not have any associations apart from historical ones or based on their movement/case/design etc after all, at this level this is what we are paying for....if you like celebrities associated with your watches..buy a crap jacob & co...or a tag heuer etc...let arnie be identified by BECAUSE he wears a offshore..and not the offshore being identified due to arnie...did that make sense...you know what i mean?

June 2nd, 2006, 9:38 pm #5

SORRY, THAT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE DISRESPECTFUL

June 2nd, 2006, 9:52 pm #6

them, they didn't pay for them and in most cases could care less what was on the wrist as long as $$$$$ was involved, thats not love!!!

June 2nd, 2006, 9:54 pm #7

U must be kidding me mate , ya canne compare the AP and Montoya with Sly and Panerai

Just for one ..... and I have to be short which is a bugger ..... sunday morning DU and off ... short and sweet I just pick one reason .......

Stallone has honest history with Panerai ,, and way beyond Richemonts Involvement with the brand , were going back 15+ Years , Sly helped establish the brand from a corporate imaging perspective before anyone , save Military Personal & Military Instrument Collector's, knew anything about the watches or could even pronounce the name Panerai , they never made a civilian watch till 93 , Stallone was the vehicle with which the brand was established many would say , and , gained some of it's cult status if you will

fwiw back in the late 80's and early 90's Sly was ,, well ,, erm ,, kind of a big STAR , if u didn't know it

So just for me no way you can compare the 2 , Apples and Oranges ,, NO ??

As for : down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches , Dont start me Up , ya dunne want dat

So it is quite fitting that the modern day Panerai pay Tribute to the Synergy that they share with Sly , History is Important , some would say

Now I Agree and Disagree WW....

I Agree that the vacheron overseas chrono.. is a Cracka U Bet
I Disagree that the AP Roo is not a Design Classic , it SO like Is

Hope that helps , see you at the Bar , I'll have a Beer Tanks & HAGWE Mates

Yeah your right , Slytech Prototype , what a FUGLY watch >>>>>

Ouch

Oh SO Much MORE than just a Watch

Cheer's & Beer's ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer

June 2nd, 2006, 9:59 pm #8

June 2nd, 2006, 10:07 pm #9

my title that AP are crass & crap was just as an eye catcher...just as many might look down upon my VC overseas chrono...it was just som thoughts of mine...frankly any fine watch brand like AP i think shouldnt associate with guys like arnie....leave them to associate with lower brands like breitling(which has john travolta), and tag heuer, omega etc etc..if you ask me fine watches such as patek, vacheron, audemars, breguet, should not have any associations apart from historical ones or based on their movement/case/design etc after all, at this level this is what we are paying for....if you like celebrities associated with your watches..buy a crap jacob & co...or a tag heuer etc...let arnie be identified by BECAUSE he wears a offshore..and not the offshore being identified due to arnie...did that make sense...you know what i mean?
should not have any associations apart from historical ones

You think , well I AGRRE WW

Best mate

June 2nd, 2006, 10:11 pm #10

them, they didn't pay for them and in most cases could care less what was on the wrist as long as $$$$$ was involved, thats not love!!!
rf