What could possibly be killing my batteries?

What could possibly be killing my batteries?

March 2nd, 2011, 8:23 am #1

I have an older Citizen Navitach Promaster (about 10? years old) that I used to love wearing but I gave up on it because it went dead one day and after 2 battery changes it would still die within the first day or so! I got it out of the drawer tonight and thought I'd try it again tomorrow by getting yet another battery but I fear it will just conk out again!
Any ideas as to what the problem may be? When I initially installed a new battery I did the usual re-set but it still conked out rapidly!
Last edited by time_watcher on March 2nd, 2011, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2011, 9:49 am #2

Generally it might be time for a service - depending on price (and how much a brand-new one would cost). If you are very good with hand-coordination you might try to find yourself the service manual and see some of the tests done - for instance the checks on the coils.

March 2nd, 2011, 1:04 pm #3

I have an older Citizen Navitach Promaster (about 10? years old) that I used to love wearing but I gave up on it because it went dead one day and after 2 battery changes it would still die within the first day or so! I got it out of the drawer tonight and thought I'd try it again tomorrow by getting yet another battery but I fear it will just conk out again!
Any ideas as to what the problem may be? When I initially installed a new battery I did the usual re-set but it still conked out rapidly!
First, are you sure the new batteries are fresh? Most brands now come with date codes, so you can tell if the bettery has been sitting on the shelf for years. If they are a common cell and you are getting them from a place with high turnover this shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes it does crop up.

If it has never been serviced, it could be dirty inside, and need cleaning. The only way to tell is to test the consumption using a proper watch tester.

Cheers, Al

March 2nd, 2011, 10:38 pm #4

I now have a nice quartz, and plan on buying another higher end
quartz in the near future.
What is required of these watches other than battery changes?
Are quartz watches taken apart and cleaned similar to mehcanicals?
And if so how often is this cleaning/serviceing required?
I had always inagined these motors as sealed units.

March 2nd, 2011, 10:59 pm #5

servicing of the gears ...for example when the seconds hand is moving but not advancing, the moving parts need lubing.....just my experience.

with the Omegas, a full service could be indicated and Omega tends to replace parts which they think need so...as in my quartz X-33...they replaced some parts around the alarm system....maybe worn screws etc....be prepared for a hefty bill......

Al Archer near you would be the best go/to guy IMO....