Hey guys I'm looking for some recommendations. I want to build a 100% linux laptop. This will not be a low spec testing rig. Instead it will be a fully built, full spec system that I intend to run for several years. It is not intended to be a gaming rig so solid, but not super high end specs are desired.
Here are the specs of what I'm looking for:
- CPU: Multi core, preferably Intel I-series 2ghz or higher, minimum of 2-cores but would prefer 4. 64bit system board.
- GPU: replaceable and not soldered. no proprietary cards from the manufacturer and no onboard cpu graphics only. I prefer something from Nvidia, since they have very good linux drivers. It should be decent, but it doesn't have to be super high end.
- RAM: 4gb DDR3 minimum, upgradeable to at least 8gb.
- Screen: 16:9 aspect ratio (1366×768 dpi), or 16:10 aspect ratio (1280×800 dpi), 15" minimum, but 17" preferred. (glossy or matt doesn't matter). LED or LCD (or LED backlit LCD), doesn't matter, but if I can find it, full LED is preferred.
- Bluetooth: Must have
- Multi card reader: SD reader at a minimum
- USB ports: 2 minimum, more preferred. USB-2 at a minimum, but will take USB-3 if I can get it.
- DVI port: not necessary but will take it if available
- fingerprint reader: not necessary
- Hard drive: 250gb at 5000RPM minimum, but would prefer greater than 500gb at 7200 rpm. must be SATA. No solid state drives.
- optical drive: CD/DVD super drive. Blue ray not necessary or desired.
- track pad: preferably a larger sized model
- Wireless card: wireless N capable.
- Ethernet port: required
- Keyboard: traditional (read, no added non-standard buttons). Number pad preferred but not necessary. prefer chicklet style keys but traditional buttons are not a deal breaker.
- Battery: 6-cell LI minimum (more preferred). 4-5 hours of unplugged use needed.
- Heat dissipation: Must have on-board fan driven cooling.
- weight: not really important as this is for home use, not travel, but preferably no more than 6-7lbs. The less the better, but I'm not interested in paying a premium for ultralights.
- Operating system: none required
- PRICE: $600 or less - Used, new or refurbished is fine so long as it is in generally decent shape.
I've only just started looking and thus far the best candidates seem to be the HP dv series (dv5, dv6 or dv7), though I suspect that there might be even cheaper options available from asian manufacturers such as lenovo, Asus, MSI or Acer. I've had very good experiences with refurbished dells in the past. I really like Toshiba and Sony rigs, but don't want to pay for their premium and don't like their use of hardware that runs only on their own proprietary software (this is especially true of sony).
So what do you think? Based on the specs above, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
They will have an O.S. already installed.
poywatch aka Boomtown
Watch Agent 007--Licensed to kill time
University: Watch Amata U.
Fraternity: Alpha Zuan Omega