Panerai chrono face to face while in Vancouver....a WIS moment!

Panerai chrono face to face while in Vancouver....a WIS moment!

June 21st, 2010, 6:22 am #1

At Mom's birthday party, a a cousin's daughter's new husband attended....and my eye naturally spied his watch....so whilst we were in the kitchen, I asked him jokingly if that was a real Panerai..yup.....
So, I was curious how he came to choose that one. His father is a jeweler in Vancouver and he was working for and with him. When he got married, he was asked what watch he wanted. Having handled the usual Rolex etc, he choose the Panerai as it is not often seen, he told me. So his relatives pooled gift monies and bought him the watch in the USA (Omid thinks)...
Impression? well, nothing special to see IMO. A nice watch certainly..and I did not ask him to let me try it...I just leaned over and had the watch viewed up closely hehehe...

June 21st, 2010, 12:02 pm #2

........ I don`t care if they are real or fakes, those Panerai/Marina Militare are a nice size and certanly nice watches. I kinda miss mine. I may just end up getting anther one.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

June 21st, 2010, 12:14 pm #3

At Mom's birthday party, a a cousin's daughter's new husband attended....and my eye naturally spied his watch....so whilst we were in the kitchen, I asked him jokingly if that was a real Panerai..yup.....
So, I was curious how he came to choose that one. His father is a jeweler in Vancouver and he was working for and with him. When he got married, he was asked what watch he wanted. Having handled the usual Rolex etc, he choose the Panerai as it is not often seen, he told me. So his relatives pooled gift monies and bought him the watch in the USA (Omid thinks)...
Impression? well, nothing special to see IMO. A nice watch certainly..and I did not ask him to let me try it...I just leaned over and had the watch viewed up closely hehehe...
I just serviced one of these, and the sub-dials didn't have the circular relief that the one in your photo has....the dial was completely matte as shown here before I put it in the case:

Here it is after casing:

The sub-dials also look a bit smaller than on the one I serviced. I know at times Panerai will change the dial construction slightly in a model, but if this is supposed to be a 196, I'm not so sure it's a real one. Hopefully it is though.

Cheers, Al

June 21st, 2010, 1:02 pm #4

saw one in the flesh....

June 21st, 2010, 1:11 pm #5

have been wrong a couple of times before.

Boomtown