OT: Cell phones??

OT: Cell phones??

October 9th, 2010, 7:26 pm #1

sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled shop talk but I have a question re: cell phones and browsers!
Does anyone here use the Opera 5.1 mini browser on their cell phone?
I have been reading about it and it seems as if it's a lot faster and more reliable then the "pre-loaded" browsers on most phones!
Any thoughts/ideas?
TIA.............
BTW..........no pic but I'm wearing my Seiko Arnie just so we can sorta stay on topic!

October 9th, 2010, 7:33 pm #2

strap for your Arnie?

October 9th, 2010, 7:36 pm #3

Nope........not yet! I am seriously thinking of buying a Khaki Green Zulu for it so I can swap between the Black and the Khaki.
Another option is a Black Carbon Fiber 2 piece from Rich Winslow!
Edited to add: My Wife got on my case about the Arnie the other day as I was about to put it up for sale and she asked me why....... I told her I could use the money and she said that I had looked for so long and hard to find a nice example and I was foolish to sell it.......... needless to say....for the time being I'm keeping it and as a matter of fact have been wearing it for the past several days! NEVER go against the "WISdom" of your Wife!
Last edited by time_watcher on October 9th, 2010, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2010, 8:09 pm #4

.......... not too many of us here are lucky enough to have their significant other say that. The most common question I`m hearing is "Why you need so many watches?". Because I don`t buy shues, purses, ear rings, pots and pans.... etc.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

October 9th, 2010, 8:15 pm #5

sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled shop talk but I have a question re: cell phones and browsers!
I have been reading about it and it seems as if it's a lot faster and more reliable then the "pre-loaded" browsers on most phones!
Any thoughts/ideas?
TIA.............
BTW..........no pic but I'm wearing my Seiko Arnie just so we can sorta stay on topic!
....... I didn`t hear anything about that Operating System. I keep hearing a lot abouthow good the Android is but that`s prety much it.
Here, a quick Google search and I came up with this review. Hope it helps

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/geek-st ... -1-review/

I don`t make things. I make things better !

October 9th, 2010, 8:24 pm #6

Nope........not yet! I am seriously thinking of buying a Khaki Green Zulu for it so I can swap between the Black and the Khaki.
Another option is a Black Carbon Fiber 2 piece from Rich Winslow!
Edited to add: My Wife got on my case about the Arnie the other day as I was about to put it up for sale and she asked me why....... I told her I could use the money and she said that I had looked for so long and hard to find a nice example and I was foolish to sell it.......... needless to say....for the time being I'm keeping it and as a matter of fact have been wearing it for the past several days! NEVER go against the "WISdom" of your Wife!
will add her two bits now and then when I ask her opinion. She says she knows squat about watches....but listening to me rattle on for the last 4 years, she has more info than she thinks! ( I have built up her own ladies collection to around 6! hehe!
Last nite, I asked her which strap to put on the X-33: the black leather with burgundy edging or the green generic 2 piece nylon I had in my spares box......she chose the green one saying it matched the greenish hued dial!....hehehe....so that was it!

October 10th, 2010, 4:46 am #7

Any thoughts/ideas?
TIA.............
can't help you there. I have heard that it works excellent on smart phones. The best is Google Android.

Boomtown

October 10th, 2010, 6:58 am #8

Any thoughts/ideas?
TIA.............
I have it on both the iPhone, and the Htc hero.
Its so much better, and way faster browsing than safari or proprietary browsers. Big difference in speed.
I also like the user interface, quite nice.
The only thing that bugs me is the lack of pinching to expand like on the iPhone with the droid, but I'm sure that will be a feature in the upgrade soon.
On the hero it does freeze up when I have too many tabs open for a long while. Maybe a weekly reboot, fixes all.
But I still prefer this Opera over anything out there. This one is leading all the browsers for sure.

On my Mac and PC, I have used Opera, and its a good alternative.
But I just use Chrome religiously, and even Firefox as backup.
Gotta love extensions, and chrome is very fast. But hogs the system, but not as bad as FF, thats a real hog.
I wish there was Chrome for mobile browsing.
Last edited by sharkfinDave on October 10th, 2010, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 10th, 2010, 7:43 pm #9

I D/L Opera last night and have used it just to see how fast it actually is........ quite impressive except for two minor details.........
# 1. the lack of being able to "pinch" to expand
#2. when typing in a website to go to the keyboard is tiny, tiny!
Hopefully a few up-grades will improve on that!?

October 10th, 2010, 7:55 pm #10

Ya, the new version upgrades will be better and fix those. nt