OK, I take it Back. Firefox 4 Is Very Nice

OK, I take it Back. Firefox 4 Is Very Nice

April 3rd, 2011, 5:29 pm #1

I tried the FF4 RC about a month and just didn't like it. Performance wasn't what was being advertised and it wasnt as stable as I cared for. After letting the release settle in for a couple of weeks I've decided to give it another try. Boy the final release is much better than the RC. It is far more stable and boy is it fast the overall arrangement is very similar to Chrome (nice plus), but it is a little more flexible. A nice touch is that it allows you to move things around so that you can get back the general look and feel of FF3, if you really can't get used to the new set up. Sadly not all my add-ons work any more (I really miss the photobucket uploader), but FF4 has put them on standby waiting to upgrade once an update becomes available. What I like the most is thatthis seems to include some of the features I liked the most about chrome, with the features I liked the best about FF3. Overall I'm very pleased. Chrome is still faster and more secure, but FF4 has the added flexibility, functionality and is a little easier to use.

Interestingly Mac OSX doesn't allow you to hide the menu bar and use the firefox button. it's just not an option. I'm guessing that the reason is that Apple uses global menus in the top panel so it wouldn't benefit from the use of the firefox menu button (it wouldn't add any additional screen space). It's cool, but I do use the FF menu button on windows, so I have to remember two different set upd depending on the oprating system. I haven't upgraded the linux rigs yet, as I'm waiting for compatibility testing to end with the version of mint that I use to finish (that plus the new version of mint with FF4 preinstalled is suppose to come out in another month or so).

Overall FF4 is a big thumbs up.

GO HOKIES

April 3rd, 2011, 7:57 pm #2

early on it was always crashing on me.
But its running stable now, much better than before.

I was using Chrome for a long while, but that has been a hit and miss for some sites like WUS for some reason. Constantly freezing and slow loading.

So, I'm back on FF4 and its nice, I do prefer Chrome a little more.

April 3rd, 2011, 9:10 pm #3

I tried the FF4 RC about a month and just didn't like it. Performance wasn't what was being advertised and it wasnt as stable as I cared for. After letting the release settle in for a couple of weeks I've decided to give it another try. Boy the final release is much better than the RC. It is far more stable and boy is it fast the overall arrangement is very similar to Chrome (nice plus), but it is a little more flexible. A nice touch is that it allows you to move things around so that you can get back the general look and feel of FF3, if you really can't get used to the new set up. Sadly not all my add-ons work any more (I really miss the photobucket uploader), but FF4 has put them on standby waiting to upgrade once an update becomes available. What I like the most is thatthis seems to include some of the features I liked the most about chrome, with the features I liked the best about FF3. Overall I'm very pleased. Chrome is still faster and more secure, but FF4 has the added flexibility, functionality and is a little easier to use.

Interestingly Mac OSX doesn't allow you to hide the menu bar and use the firefox button. it's just not an option. I'm guessing that the reason is that Apple uses global menus in the top panel so it wouldn't benefit from the use of the firefox menu button (it wouldn't add any additional screen space). It's cool, but I do use the FF menu button on windows, so I have to remember two different set upd depending on the oprating system. I haven't upgraded the linux rigs yet, as I'm waiting for compatibility testing to end with the version of mint that I use to finish (that plus the new version of mint with FF4 preinstalled is suppose to come out in another month or so).

GO HOKIES
in fact, the ongoing nightly versions are also working fine. I've had no problems yet

------------------------------------------

April 3rd, 2011, 10:07 pm #4

I think I'll wait for them to finish testing and make sure all dependencies work properly. One question though. when you upgraded to FF4, did the mint search bar get added on as well? I ask because I normally disable it in favor of pure google, but doing so also disables the search auto-complete on the search bar.

GO HOKIES

April 4th, 2011, 12:38 am #5

GO HOKIES
I switched to Google Chrome and then Chromium a while back and never looked back, but this FF4 is nice and yes, very quick. I like it a lot.

Boomtown

April 4th, 2011, 1:50 am #6

I think I'll wait for them to finish testing and make sure all dependencies work properly. One question though. when you upgraded to FF4, did the mint search bar get added on as well? I ask because I normally disable it in favor of pure google, but doing so also disables the search auto-complete on the search bar.

GO HOKIES
the search fill in seems to be working fine.
That's in FF4 and the nightly builds(4.0b15-pre) as well.

As mentioned, the only trouble I had was with the USB port recognizing my Canon camera. Well, a little research found the answer to that too and I can now up/download files to or from the camera

------------------------------------------

April 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm #7

GO HOKIES
The spell checker has stopped working for me on FF4. I have dictionaries installed (US english); they are selected; and auto correct is enabled. Misspelled words are being underlined in red, but when I right-click on one, I'm not getting any word choice suggestions. Instead all I get are general editing options. I've tried restarting on safe mode with add-on's disabled and the problem persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on or suggestions on fixing it?

GO HOKIES

April 4th, 2011, 8:35 pm #8

Boomtown

April 4th, 2011, 8:37 pm #9

The spell checker has stopped working for me on FF4. I have dictionaries installed (US english); they are selected; and auto correct is enabled. Misspelled words are being underlined in red, but when I right-click on one, I'm not getting any word choice suggestions. Instead all I get are general editing options. I've tried restarting on safe mode with add-on's disabled and the problem persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on or suggestions on fixing it?

GO HOKIES
type"?
Boomtown

Last edited by saykobro on April 4th, 2011, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2011, 9:00 pm #10

and yes I also have the US-English dictionary installed and enabled. That's why I started in safemode with the add-ons turned off. The idea was that an add-on was probably the cause of the problem. Instead, even with the add-ons turned off, the problem persists...

GO HOKIES