o\t Poyman or Peter...your opinion of installing Linux MINT 10 netbook

o\t Poyman or Peter...your opinion of installing Linux MINT 10 netbook

November 11th, 2010, 12:38 pm #1

inside Windows 7 Starter on my epson Netbook? Ubuntu installed perfectly into Xp home edition using Wubi...
I googled info but nothing found except how to dual boot...
Would windows 7 starter (simplified Windows7) be any different than XP???

November 11th, 2010, 2:48 pm #2

a windows installer like ubuntu and I could not install and partition the hard drive correctly using the downloaded CD. To me it is very hard and not intuitive. I quickly discovered that I didn't know what I was doing when I could not answer the commands correctly so I failed twice and aborted once. Thank God for the wubi for Ubuntu or I would have never gotten it installed. Peter can help you on this more than I can.

Boomtown

November 11th, 2010, 3:06 pm #3

I would try to install it online ...i thinks there is an installer for it like wubi...

November 11th, 2010, 3:40 pm #4

inside Windows 7 Starter on my epson Netbook? Ubuntu installed perfectly into Xp home edition using Wubi...
I googled info but nothing found except how to dual boot...
Would windows 7 starter (simplified Windows7) be any different than XP???
Linux under Windows. That's because the machine has to Run Windows as well as Linux. Even if it worked, it would be next to useless speed wise

MS has a free utility called 'Virtual PC 2007' that would do the job but I don't know if it will run under Win 7 Starter.

------------------------------------------

November 11th, 2010, 8:42 pm #5

having it inside windows7...guess I'll leave the netbook as is...uses the newer Timberline ? Intel processor 1.8ghertz...

November 11th, 2010, 9:27 pm #6

suited to dual boot or only one OS.

If you use a virtual machine with Windows, then Linux is just a selection from your your 'Programs' list and opens in a new window like any other program on Windows.

My choice would be to install Linux only on the eee

------------------------------------------

November 11th, 2010, 9:50 pm #7

otherwise no purpose for me with it! The techie guy would have to input the wireless numbers, I guess....
I do have the original linux recovery disk Noah had included with the Eee...haha! again too bad about the lithium battery shipping hassle!

Read about the virtual machine bit, and Gabe explained alot....partitioning etc etc.....too techie for me! hahaa!
Last edited by thianwong on November 11th, 2010, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.