O/T ....... I regret to inform you .......... :-( ................... >>>

O/T ....... I regret to inform you .......... :-( ................... >>>

April 7th, 2011, 3:22 am #1

............ >>>

Sadly, at approximately 5:15 pm yesterday (Monday April 5, 2011), the Toyota Corolla keeled over and died while bravely carrying out her duties (taking me back home from work). Although rushed to Mountainside Auto Tech, there was no hope of resuscitating her. She is resting behind the shop as funeral and visitation arrangements are being made. Donations can be made to the "Broken Beyond all Hope of Repair Transmission" charity of your choice.

Rest in piece(s) oh fair Corolla.

After we found out that the Corolla quietly "passed-away" at the local car repair shop, me & my wife stopped by today to pay our respects and to take away what was left... Poor little thing, it took took us on a lot of trips, all over Ontario.
If the odometer could talk ....

If you think about it, it took us just over 6 times around the Earth!

For the last couple of years however we kept her more "local drive" since she was diagnosed with some transmission problems. We even decide to have "transmission transplant" done and that seemed to work. But in fact just delayed the inevitable by 2 years...

Time to pull the Camaro out of its hybernation ....

I don`t make things. I make things better !

April 7th, 2011, 3:37 am #2

While that is a lot of milleage on that Corolla I have no doubt that you could put another 100000kms on it if the trannie were up to the task...

Just the same with that kind of milleage that car owes you nothing. At least it died now with the warm weather here and you have the option of using the Camaro for the next 6 months

What amazes me is how good the body looks on that Corolla. Early Japanese and Korean cars literally rusted out. My friend had a first year Hyundai Pony which had rust on the roof by the end of the first year! Hyudais were a joke for quite a few years but they really got things figured out by the late 1990s and now I would have no problem owning an Elantra or Sonata (let alone a Genesis).

Sorry to hear of your loss...

Then again, you will have the pleasure of a newer car to enjoy for the next 4-8 years (depending on your lifestyle)...

April 7th, 2011, 4:17 am #3

...... with the Corolla gone, there is no more trade I can do for another car. The plan was to trade Camaro & Corolla for something else... But now with Corolla out of the picture, I`ll have to drive the Camaro for a few months till I save some $$. As much as i don`t wanna dump the Camaro the truth is that its not an every day drive car - not with this gas prices anyway. Its OK for a 3 - 4 months a year but then I will need another car for winter. And the fact is that we can`t realy afford to have 3 cars. My wife drives a minivan and she`s bitching bitterly about how much gas that sucker consumes... and she`s right! But she has a few more months to pay and when she`s done, she`s done with big cars all together. She wants a VW .... so what she may save on gas, she`ll spend it on maintenance. But I`m working on trying to convince her to buy North American.

April 7th, 2011, 4:24 am #4

Chevy Cobalt / Pontiac G5...

I have the 2.2L engine in the HHR and I am up to 125000 kms which have been trouble free except for a starter which I had to replace. I did the tranny fluid at 100000kms and I did a full coolent flush/changover as well. I am a big believer in doing maintenance and replacing tranny fluid on a timely basis.

I have seen Cobalts with pretty low milleage around $6000. That is with the same 2.2L engine as mine and you can do auto or manual. Maybe find a Cobalt or G5 with the 2.4L engine and the manual and you will be grinning from ear to ear as that mill in the smaller car is a lot of engine. The ecotechs are not as fuel efficient as the 1.8 engine in your "retired" Corolla but then again you are paying $4000 or less for the car and you are still way ahead of what the Camaro or Minivan will suck up in gas (especially with prices set to go about $1.30 per litre this summer).

I got a really good deal on my HHR and it came with winters on the steelies. Then I found the alloys on Kijjiji.

April 7th, 2011, 10:43 am #5

...... the Cobalt but I wanna stay away from Hyundai - mostly smaller cars. I`m sure they do a nicer job now-a-days than they used to 10-15 years ago but I still have to convince myself of that. The HHR looks & sounds like a fun car and for the past month or so, I`ve been looking at some of them. Now I have to go and test drive one.
I`m not looking at anything priced over $6000 and I was surprised to find some cars at even lower price looking and driving just fine.

The search continues .....