New Shoes..........???

New Shoes..........???

June 13th, 2010, 6:21 pm #1

Mark started a really good thread about his new shows for his Seiko so this posts brings me to ask:
On your WHITE dialed watches (dressy or sporty) do you prefer Brown Straps or Black Straps? Croc, Gator, Lizard or perhaps even Stingray or maybe even something as obscure as Snake?
Do you prefer LARGE grain patterns or smaller?

G07

June 13th, 2010, 7:02 pm #2

White Dial:

Brown (various shades), gator or croc, large scale
If there is a blued hand, then black or navy blue strap.
Brown tends to warm up the white of the dial IMHO.

Silver dial:

Black or Navy Blue, gator or croc, large scale

Black Dial:

Brown (medium to dark), white contrast stitching, gator or croc, large scale

Best-

John

Last edited by G07 on June 13th, 2010, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2010, 7:08 pm #3

I like your Navy Blue suggestion! Navy had never entered my mind but I DO like that idea!
I can see the large grain idea too as perhaps the small grain would be a but on the busy side and detract from the dial!

June 13th, 2010, 9:25 pm #4

Mark started a really good thread about his new shows for his Seiko so this posts brings me to ask:
On your WHITE dialed watches (dressy or sporty) do you prefer Brown Straps or Black Straps? Croc, Gator, Lizard or perhaps even Stingray or maybe even something as obscure as Snake?
Do you prefer LARGE grain patterns or smaller?
For me it's not only about the dial but also about the case of the watch and the hands/indices and the overall look:

- on simple watches I like slightly simpler bands, complex patterns IMHO work better on complex watches...

- golden case/hands/indexes IMHO work much better with brown, but the precise shade of brown can be VERY important;

- strictly white/black dial/hands combination work better with black, and in this case a slightly more interesting pattern or a more shiny/glazed look could be OK.

You can also take a look at my mini-review of a part of my latest set of low-cost bands at:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=411565

(there are 2-3 other, but one is "in waiting" for a SBQL001 and the other might be tested when the weather gets less hot and I get a very very thin springbar tool).

June 13th, 2010, 9:55 pm #5

At times (many times for that matter)it is VERY difficult trying to find just that right strap! Some watches it's a no brainer as in the case of my Arnie (Black Zulu or Nato is the ONLY way to go there) but others are WAY more difficult to choose!
I hope my seller doesnt mind but here is a pic or 2 of my incoming Seiko that has a Silver dial and it comes with a new Black Croc grain leather on it!
The current strap it will be shipping with is indeed a beautiful strap but I am not 100% sure I like it or will like it (the strap...not the watch) so I'm getting advance ideas as to what I can change it to.
Initially my thoughts were towards something Brown or Brownish but the more I think about it and read from others comments I think maybe(?) a Navy Blue would be better! I guess I wont know until I buy a couple different ones and try them or take the watch to a shop where I can hold a few up against the watch to see.

One last thing to consider is this watch takes a 19mm band and I am hoping a 20mm will fit on it and fit properly!?

June 13th, 2010, 10:20 pm #6

.... and personal preference is for mostly brown shades of leather for ALL my watches. ( I'm NOT a fan of black leather, had to wear it in the Corps 40 years ago and only own 1 pair of black leather shoes that i wear with my only black suit to funerals.) A beautifully grained croc or alligator or lizard strap looses so mutch in looks a texture when dyed black so I dont own ANY !! I have not found a brown shade of strap that DOES NOT look good with a gold cased/black dialed watch either! JMHO

G07

June 13th, 2010, 11:48 pm #7

At times (many times for that matter)it is VERY difficult trying to find just that right strap! Some watches it's a no brainer as in the case of my Arnie (Black Zulu or Nato is the ONLY way to go there) but others are WAY more difficult to choose!
I hope my seller doesnt mind but here is a pic or 2 of my incoming Seiko that has a Silver dial and it comes with a new Black Croc grain leather on it!
The current strap it will be shipping with is indeed a beautiful strap but I am not 100% sure I like it or will like it (the strap...not the watch) so I'm getting advance ideas as to what I can change it to.
Initially my thoughts were towards something Brown or Brownish but the more I think about it and read from others comments I think maybe(?) a Navy Blue would be better! I guess I wont know until I buy a couple different ones and try them or take the watch to a shop where I can hold a few up against the watch to see.

One last thing to consider is this watch takes a 19mm band and I am hoping a 20mm will fit on it and fit properly!?
Navy or a honey brown or chestnut would look great on your new Seiko. Classic looking dial, so I'd stay away from contrast stitching. As always, just my
humble opinion.

Enjoy and have fun trying out straps

Cheers,

John

June 13th, 2010, 11:53 pm #8

I DEFINITELY stay away from "contrast" stitching as I cannot stand the look! I dont own a single "contrasting" stitch band and any that I have ever gotten I VERY quickly change them!

G07

June 13th, 2010, 11:59 pm #9

Navy:

BTW - watch isn't too bad either

Chestnut: top strap

June 14th, 2010, 12:02 am #10

Are those from Lone Star?
I REALLY like that Blue!