I still can't get over how IE9 masquerades as Mozilla. Here is a picture of my sign-off

I still can't get over how IE9 masquerades as Mozilla. Here is a picture of my sign-off

May 3rd, 2011, 4:41 am #1

gizmo while I am using IE9.

poywatch aka Boomtown
Watch Agent 007--Licensed to kill time
Education:BS WIS
University: Watch Amata U.
Fraternity: Alpha Zuan Omega

May 3rd, 2011, 4:51 am #2

works just fine ! but I get the IE8 notice asking if I want to update...should I? or leave 7 on, which works fine....

I try FF now and then but am a Windows 7 fan!

May 3rd, 2011, 1:28 pm #3

poywatch aka Boomtown

May 3rd, 2011, 2:24 pm #4

IE7 or 8. Still not as good as FF4 or FF Aurora or Chrome though. I am using mainly Aurora now. If I use IE, I only use IE9 and as I said, it isn't bad and adds features to 54.

poywatch aka Boomtown

May 3rd, 2011, 5:28 pm #5

poywatch aka Boomtown

Much quicker than IE8 and so far so forced reboots of the program. Sometimes IE8 would freeze up on me and I would have to shut it down and restart it. IE9 seems much more stable...

May 3rd, 2011, 5:45 pm #6

54 that I usually use it on the AWF. For most other surfing I use FF Aurora 5.0a2. Let's pray that A.S. doesn't come in on the post touting Linux for the umteenth time.

poywatch aka Boomtown

Last edited by saykobro on May 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2011, 5:49 pm #7

poywatch aka Boomtown

It's a much better program than IE9. Forget the fact that it's more secure, still faster, and has hardware acceleration compatible with most platforms both current and legacy. It also has a plethora of working extensions that IE9 lacks, a faster release cycle and is generally more user friendly than most other browsers.

The only other browser that I find preferable is Chrome/Chromium and that is because it is noticeably faster, especially in Linux, though not quite as user friendly as FF.

I was reading an article this morning about the adoption rate for IE9 and the talk is that FF4 has had a much higher install rate than IE9, even though IE 9 was released a few days earlier. In part it is attributed to IE9 not being backward compatible to anything before Vista (and XP still having the largest windows install base). On the other hand the article claimed that MS was relying on next year's discontinued support for XP causing a lot of people to upgrade to Win7, thus allowing MS to push IE9 and higher to the windows using world whether they want it or not.

Personally I don't care. Even with IE9, my opinion of MS is colored and I much prefer to use FF and chrome, and preferably linux when I can avoid windows.

GO HOKIES

May 3rd, 2011, 5:54 pm #8

54 that I usually use it on the AWF. For most other surfing I use FF Aurora 5.0a2. Let's pray that A.S. doesn't come in on the post touting Linux for the umteenth time.

poywatch aka Boomtown

Pengy is more of a power user in Linux so what is great for him might not be appropriate to someone new to Linux. Mind if I can suggest a few worth while distributions that someone new to linux and familiar with Microsoft might like? Give it an honest try in an older machine, I think you'll be impressed.

Look at it this way, the smaller footprint, faster performance and ability to do things in older and lower spec hardware that windows needs high end hardware to do, has got to be worth something. Saying nothing, of course, about never having to need anti spyware programs again.

GO HOKIES

May 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm #9

It's a much better program than IE9. Forget the fact that it's more secure, still faster, and has hardware acceleration compatible with most platforms both current and legacy. It also has a plethora of working extensions that IE9 lacks, a faster release cycle and is generally more user friendly than most other browsers.

The only other browser that I find preferable is Chrome/Chromium and that is because it is noticeably faster, especially in Linux, though not quite as user friendly as FF.

I was reading an article this morning about the adoption rate for IE9 and the talk is that FF4 has had a much higher install rate than IE9, even though IE 9 was released a few days earlier. In part it is attributed to IE9 not being backward compatible to anything before Vista (and XP still having the largest windows install base). On the other hand the article claimed that MS was relying on next year's discontinued support for XP causing a lot of people to upgrade to Win7, thus allowing MS to push IE9 and higher to the windows using world whether they want it or not.

Personally I don't care. Even with IE9, my opinion of MS is colored and I much prefer to use FF and chrome, and preferably linux when I can avoid windows.

GO HOKIES
Here you go. enjoy the read:

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/05 ... alysis.ars

GO HOKIES

May 3rd, 2011, 8:04 pm #10

GO HOKIES
proprietary, but I am so used to Windows that I just was not super comfortable with Ubuntu Windows Installer version. I don't know enough about partitioning and taking a chance of wiping out all of my Windows installs, pictures, docs, etc. I could back them all up, but I am old and set in my ways I guess. So I will stick with MS until I buy a computer with Linux already on it as the O.S. or maybe the new Google O.S.

poywatch aka Boomtown