I just posted recently on Mercedes hands, and how I

I just posted recently on Mercedes hands, and how I

December 2nd, 2010, 8:59 pm #1

do not like them. Strange because growing up, the Rolex was my dream watch. Now that I've "matured"
I still have a sort of soft spot for the Rolex sub, but I've grown to really dislike the hands.
This is the main reason I have never bought one.
I was just sitting here wondering where/what the influence was leading up to this design Rolex seems to hold so dear. I'd love to see a sub with some nice stick or baton style hands.
Anyone know where this mercedes hand design originated from?

December 2nd, 2010, 9:31 pm #2

November 23rd, 2009 at 4:25 PMThe Mercedes Symbol on a Watch Hand: How it came to Be.

by Will Estell

The use of the Mercedes emblem- perhaps more appropriatly known as the “rising star”-on the hour hand of wrist watches in fact has no connection to the Mercedes automobile brand other than the fact that when Gottleib Daimler and Karl Benz built and received the patent for the first Mercedes Benz (the Mercedes name being derived from the Daimler’s daughter, Mercedes, and his partner’s last name, Benz) in 1885, the two partners chose the same “rising sun” symbol for much the same reason as Rolex did when beginning its use on particular sports models of their watches. That reason being: that the symbol evokes great positive energy, fulfillment and a sense of “rising” or achievement- which both brands saw their product fitting into the category of.

As for the watch side the symbol also is said by Rolex historians to have been chosen in part due to its ability to be seen well on an hour hand, even when partially covered by the minute, second, or sub hands. This was of specific importance in the automobile racing, diving, and adventure aspects that Rolex watches first became, and continue to be, so highly admired in.
It is important to note that the Rolex brand was the first to use this symbol with others following shortly after in many various degree and price ranges of watch. So, though most do not feel that Rolex copied the Mercedes Benz company in the use of this emblem, most other watch makers did in fact copy Rolex, and Mercedes.

Today, the symbol, though more closely related to the automobile, stands as a sort of testament to quality and aristocratic stance of the products that carry it, and the people who believe in and depend upon the services that these products give- whether it be a great automobile or a trust worthy timepiece.

Theneilo uk

December 5th, 2010, 6:14 pm #3

With Mercedes?

Theneilo uk

December 5th, 2010, 6:20 pm #4

Thanks for the info.