I guess a quick trip to my watch guy is in order..........

I guess a quick trip to my watch guy is in order..........

November 7th, 2011, 5:50 am #1

as I need to find a nice strap for this one and wear it once in awhile! Even tho its a Timex which I dont collect, its a cool one and I have never seen anyone wearing one like it!

November 7th, 2011, 6:19 am #2

Love the dial..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

November 7th, 2011, 6:35 am #3

it sounds SO cool!! Ticka ticka ticka ticka

November 7th, 2011, 6:59 am #4

November 7th, 2011, 7:32 am #5

More so I guess you could call it a slow sweep!?
I counted beats....... it ticks 20 ticks per every 5 seconds.
Last edited by time_watcher on November 7th, 2011, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 7th, 2011, 1:47 pm #6

I think it used a pawl-drive rather than a pallet-lever drive, so it would advance the movement in one direction of swing only. So that would make 3 ticks per second.

The earlier fully-jewelled Laco-Timex electric movements used a dead-beat complication on the second hand. So it ticked only once per second. But that was back before quartz watches made such a feature uncool.

November 7th, 2011, 8:33 pm #7

I dont know one drive from another and frankly.....I dont care! NOT meant to sound rude..... just stating!
All I know is it's a pretty cool watch and the ONLY thing I dis-like about it is that the case is Base metal rather then solid S/S

November 7th, 2011, 10:04 pm #8

had second hands that moved like they were a mechanical.. I understand that they had balance wheels inside like a full mechanical.. Some however, didn't sweep like a mechanical, but more like a quartz..

I just wish I had hung onto the two that I had.. One was a Seiko EL370..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

November 8th, 2011, 1:38 am #9

I think it used a pawl-drive rather than a pallet-lever drive, so it would advance the movement in one direction of swing only. So that would make 3 ticks per second.

The earlier fully-jewelled Laco-Timex electric movements used a dead-beat complication on the second hand. So it ticked only once per second. But that was back before quartz watches made such a feature uncool.
I have a couple of Dynabeats. I think they are 28,800 bpm, but I'm not certain.

The second is a Dynabeat Time Zone which has a fourth hand, which follows (or leads) the hour hand by a fixed but settable distance. Actually, I sent the Time Zone out for service almost two years ago, and have not yet gotten it back. The repairman will no longer answer my emails. Do not send repair work to Jay Cline.

Edit from a manual I found online: The Timex Model 253 operates at a rate of 28,800 beats per hour. The
rate can be checked on all conventional watch rate recorders having
a setting for 28,800 beats per hour. The rate may also be checked on
some recorders using a setting for 14,400 or 21,600 beats per hour.

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan
Last edited by RatBob44 on November 8th, 2011, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 8th, 2011, 2:48 am #10

... which makes Rene's count of 20 per 5 seconds spot on i.e. 4 increments of the second hand per second.

By contrast, Tony's old Seiko EL with the same beat of the escapement, but with a pallet-lever transmitting the impulse to the movement, gives 8 increments of the second hand per second.