How SWEET it is......... newest arrival

How SWEET it is......... newest arrival

December 31st, 2010, 11:06 pm #1

just got this beauty today which I found on the Bay..... (6619-8230)
I cleaned all the grunge (ughhh) off of it and it looks brand spanking new!! Hardly a single mark on it whatsoever! It runs for about 3 seconds when I shake the crap outta it but then stops! (I knew that when I bought it) I'm almost positive a good servicing will bring it back to 100% life as I opened it up and there were no service dates on it but the movement was absolutely as clean as a whistle and even the RED markings were 100% totally still there! It appears as if it has never been serviced but someone had kept it in good cosmetic shape!
Whattya think?

December 31st, 2010, 11:24 pm #2

sweet is the word. nice catch. ;) nt

December 31st, 2010, 11:30 pm #3

trying to decide whether to put a Brown Honey Croc on it or a Black! LOL

December 31st, 2010, 11:55 pm #4

I cleaned all the grunge (ughhh) off of it and it looks brand spanking new!! Hardly a single mark on it whatsoever! It runs for about 3 seconds when I shake the crap outta it but then stops! (I knew that when I bought it) I'm almost positive a good servicing will bring it back to 100% life as I opened it up and there were no service dates on it but the movement was absolutely as clean as a whistle and even the RED markings were 100% totally still there! It appears as if it has never been serviced but someone had kept it in good cosmetic shape!
Whattya think?

Since it was made in 1967, it will definitely need a service if it has never had one. Are there any markings on the inside of the case back from a watchmaker?

If a service doesn't restore it, a new balance may be in order...fortunately Borel lists them.

------------------------------------------

December 31st, 2010, 11:56 pm #5

I checked but like I said........ the movement is absolutely spotless!

January 1st, 2011, 12:00 am #6

and gently/carefully try to move it up and down with a toothpick, you should be able to tell if it is just in need of a cleaning and oiling. If the wheel is sloppy with a lot of up and down movement, it means the pinions are worn and it will likely need a new balance. If it is fairly tight, then it will very likely respond to a good service.

------------------------------------------

January 1st, 2011, 12:05 am #7

my New Year is starting out right...........A VERY gracious member on another Forum has offered to donate to me a good cleaning running movement!!!! It's nice of people to do things like that! Saves me some money as well!

January 1st, 2011, 12:12 am #8

January 1st, 2011, 12:15 am #9

I kinda like the idea of a Red (reddish) strap or perhaps a Dark Brown Croc!?

January 1st, 2011, 12:17 am #10

Whattya think?

nt