Do you find it anoying ............................. >>>>>

Do you find it anoying ............................. >>>>>

May 14th, 2011, 6:51 pm #1

.............>>> when you wearing a quartz watch with a "low battery" feature and the second hand jumps every 2 seconds?

I decided before the weekend to wear this Citizen Alarm-Chrono-Timer. It entered the "low battery" mode at the end of Dec 2010 and as of now its still ... jumping every 2 seconds. All atempts to drain the battery faster, by activating all the "bells & whistles", don`t seem to show any rezult. The alarm is set to sound twice a day (at 12 hours interval) and whenever I remember, I set the timer that beeps for 15 secs when reaches "0".

Any idea how to drain the battery faster???

I don`t make things. I make things better !

May 14th, 2011, 7:00 pm #2

It really depends on what voltage level your low battery level kicks in. Al can test that with his timing machine and all of my quartz watches seem to trip at different settings. if that watch of yours has a higher setting you could have several more months to go before it finally does not have enough voltage from that cell to run...

May 14th, 2011, 7:07 pm #3

.............>>> when you wearing a quartz watch with a "low battery" feature and the second hand jumps every 2 seconds?

I decided before the weekend to wear this Citizen Alarm-Chrono-Timer. It entered the "low battery" mode at the end of Dec 2010 and as of now its still ... jumping every 2 seconds. All atempts to drain the battery faster, by activating all the "bells & whistles", don`t seem to show any rezult. The alarm is set to sound twice a day (at 12 hours interval) and whenever I remember, I set the timer that beeps for 15 secs when reaches "0".

------------------------------------------

May 14th, 2011, 7:13 pm #4

Zodiac arrived several days ago...was working fine, keeping exact time with my other rotation watches as it sat next to them. I put on the watch and glance at the dial every now and then....suddenly noticing the seconds hand doing really weird movements...erratic forwarding in 2 second increments, stalling, advancing etc.......

So I take the watch off my wrist and place it beside the other watches, reset the time and leave the Zodiace alone...an hour later, it is running smoothly again! What the???? I do this several times now...the watch, left alone on the desk will run perfect over 12 hours....I just put it on the right wrist to check it and sure as hell, it began its weird seconds hand action, speeding time up by 7 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

I had opened the back up yesterday and found it has a Maxell in it, the initials of the watchmaker scratched on the caseback....I was going to replace it with a panasonice SR920SW and still might, to see if that could be the prob! any thoughts??????? a ghost in the watch?????????????????? hahaha!

"

May 14th, 2011, 7:54 pm #5

and if it still behaves erratically; it needs to be looked at.

For a standard quartz to gain that much time, that fast; something is wrong.
It could be electronics or it could be the second hand loose on the pinion.

May 14th, 2011, 7:59 pm #6

Just change the battery already!

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

May 14th, 2011, 8:12 pm #7

May 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm #8

can a quartz get magnetized? nt

May 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm #9

the quartz stepper motor already has a fixed magnet in it and any more magnetism probably wouldn't affect it much.

The stepper motor steps in one second intervals and is driven by the quartz crystal. It can't by it's very nature speed up...other than minute frequency drift, in the order of seconds per month.

Magnetism affects the balance wheel/spring in a mechanical watch causing it to speed up or slow down. Quartz movements don't have any of these mechanisms to be affected by magnetism.

May 14th, 2011, 8:33 pm #10

Only when I wear it, does it start to act up! I am thinking my own body magnetism is affecting the watch??? as crazily as it sounds....I have never seen a seconds hand move so erratically!!!