Citizen Blue Angels - Radio controlled

Citizen Blue Angels - Radio controlled

February 19th, 2011, 3:40 pm #1

Ok, so I decided its time to kiss the 21st century technology and go nuclear - I mean, atomic. Did some reading and some reaserch but realy, not so many "atomic time keeping" watches out there to choose from. Junghans, Casio and Citizen. I have nothing aganst Junghans but the models I`ve seen look rather conservative, and pricey. Casio was on the list but many reviews I red, were mixed. And then, there is Citizen. Citizen Blue Angels, to be more precise.

This is the box I found on the kitchen table the other night, coming home from work. I wasn`t expecting it til the weekend but it helps if the seller is in the same country you are in. And its even better if he`s in the same province! But enough blah-blah. I got the box in 2 day and that`s always a nice surpise specialy when you are not expecting it for another 3 days.

We are all familiar with the unwraping ... so I`ll skip that.
I present you Citizen Blue Angels model: JY0040-59L

The package had everything included: outer box, inner box, quick start guide, user manual, interactive CD, original price tag and a couple of links that has been removed by the previous owner. The previous owner, bought the watch in November 2010 and it was worn less than a dozen times. There is only one visible scratch on the clasp which can be removed easily.

Now, as some of you know, I already have a "Blue Angels" - that`s the 3rd generation, if I`m not mistaken. Love the watch. Love the style. And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Citizen has listened to "customer complaints" and did some improvement. But lets start from the begining.

This Blue angels is somewhat bigger that its previous model. It measures 48mm including the crown. It is somewhat heavier but not significantly. The shape of the brushed stainless steel case looks chunkier and the overall thinkness of the watch is reduced by the flat cristal. The crown is protected by crown guards and when pushed all the way in, the crown is prety much flat with the crown guards. The case is rated for 200 Meters but not for Scuba Diving. Easy to operate polished buttons complete the shape of the case. The case back has the usual Blue Angels logo but as a change (or maybe as a challenge) there are no holes/slots that would allow you to open the watch!!! Interesting... I`m sure there is a trick to it.

However, there is that litlle anoying issue that the privious models had as well: trying to turn the crown while the watch is on your wrist. This time, to make it more difficult, you have to pull the crown to the 1st click and then turn it to change modes and belive me, this task is difficult enought when you wear your watch loose on your wrist.

The slide rule bezel offers the same functions as the previous Blue Angels; navigational calculations, ground speed, flying distance, fuel consumption, maximum flying hours, conversions, multiplication, division and square root calculations. To do all this, you`ll have some "homework" to do to understand how to line up the outer scale with various markers found on the inner scale and on the chapter ring. But mostly, you`ll need some very good eyes...

The blue dial may look somewhat busy but seems well balanced and organized. Luminous markers at 5 minutes interval are placed all around the dial. There are 3 subdials on the top half of the main dial showing various functions like battery charge level, automatic radio wave selection function, UTC time and a 24 hour dial.

The bottom half of the display has a small LCD display at 9 showing your "Home City Name". A larger LCD display at 3 is where the action takes place. That`s the display that shows the various functions and setting. At 6 you`ll find a mode status subdial that has 8 different modes that can be
selected by pulling out the crown to the 1st click and then turnning it either direction. The modes are: Time, Calendar, Timer, Chronograph, World Time Set, Alarm 1 and 2 and a Manual Receive Set.

Compared to the previous model, the Hour/minutes hands are filled with lume. The lume charges up realy fast but looses intensity just as fast. However, that`s not to say that the hands are not visible at 4:35 in the morning. The fact that the hands are not hollow or only partialy filled with lume, is definately a bonus, however, when the hands are on top of the LCD display, you`ll have to wait til they move out of the way until the LCD can be viewed. The hour/minutes hands are topped by a nice yellow second hand that it hits every mark on the dial spot on! Just not realy sure why they don`t make the second hand a little bit longer... Anyway, the second hand also has a secondary function by showing you the radio signal strenght (High - Medium - Low) as well as confirming if there was a succesfull synchronization.

At the time, I was wearing my Seiko Sawtooth so here is a comparisson lume shot with both watches, side by side. I don`t think it will be difficult to tell which one is the Sawtooth ...

As a change from the previous model, this model does not have an integrated bracelet. I don`t particularly care much about it since I like the Stainless Steel bracelet that comes with the watch. But I`m sure that the fact that the bracelet can be removed and replaced with other options, its nothing but a bonus. The bracelet is solid end links and solid links all the way held toghether by the usual pins. Looks elegant and sporty at the same time, not to mention that it is confortable as well.

And just when you are all excited about the bracelet and you give it high marks - there is the clasp! Normaly, I wouldn`t get turned off by a clasp but this one just doesn`t belong on this bracelet. Its not a bad looking clasp but it certainly looks cheap... it feels like it belongs to a cheapper watch. And, to top it all off, there are no fine adjustment holes. None! Nada! Zilch! Tough luck! The secret is "hidden" in the links from the bracelet. Not all links are the same; some are shorter than others. Particularly the ones that are on either side of the clasp. So, you can remove a big link or you can remove a short link. I don`t think this solution has a lot a fans who whould like to be able to quickly change how loose or how tide they like to wear the watch.

In this pic, you can see the clasp quality difference between the 2 Blue Angels. The one on the right is the older Blue Angels model

Now the interesting part: The movement. The Blue Angels JY0040-59L has a U600 movement with features that you may or may not use. The best feature of the U600 movement is its radio controlled time adjustment and the features supporting it. In normal time mode, you can check, at the push of the button, if watch has synchronized succesfully. The synchronization is set to take place at 2:00AM, 3:00AM or 4:00AM local time. The later synch time (4:00AM) can be set to a different time should you choose to do that. The synch time can take up to 15 minutes depending on the signal strenght, I assume. The 1st
time I synch it, I was in the basement of my house where I picked up a Low signal but the whole thing lasted only minutes.

There is also a manual synch option by selecting the RX-S mode. Other features include a 1/100 chrono, a 99 minutes timer, a lot more timezones than you`ll ever use, 2 Alarms.

As an improvement over the previous models, this model has illuminated display. At a push of a button, an orange color light illuminates both displays for aproximately 3 seconds. That`s good. I like that. But ... the characters on the display are still small. Found myself pushing the light button 3 or 4 times trying to get my eyes to focus. Yeah I know - I`m getting old, I need glasess. The one thing I didn`t like is that the light can
be only used in Time and Calendar mode. So, if the mode selector is on Timer and/or Chrono mode, the light function will not work since the same button that activates the light, will star/stop the Timer/Chrono function.

The nice thing about the U600 movement is that with its radio controlled time & date setting, you`ll never have to touch the watch again. It`s the watch were you set it and forget it. It is a self sufficient watch: light will power it - fully charged, it will run for 6 months without further exposure to light. And the radio waves will set it. And you, forget it.

But it doesn`t end here. Everything that can be set automatic, can be set manualy as well. If you live in a weird area with no reception, the time/date can be set manualy. If you live in a weird time zone, you can set the time in 15 minutes increments and if you don`t want to receive the radio signal, well, you can turn it off. And .... if you don`t wanna wear your fantastic Blue Angels watch for the next 2 1/2 years, you can do that too since its power saving feature will keep the watch alive.

So, there you have it. The 21st Century watch. In closing, here are the wrist shots.

Thanks for reading this XXL post.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

February 19th, 2011, 3:49 pm #2

why didn't you get the whole F/A-18 Hornet?

------------------------------------------

February 19th, 2011, 4:28 pm #3

Ok, so I decided its time to kiss the 21st century technology and go nuclear - I mean, atomic. Did some reading and some reaserch but realy, not so many "atomic time keeping" watches out there to choose from. Junghans, Casio and Citizen. I have nothing aganst Junghans but the models I`ve seen look rather conservative, and pricey. Casio was on the list but many reviews I red, were mixed. And then, there is Citizen. Citizen Blue Angels, to be more precise.

This is the box I found on the kitchen table the other night, coming home from work. I wasn`t expecting it til the weekend but it helps if the seller is in the same country you are in. And its even better if he`s in the same province! But enough blah-blah. I got the box in 2 day and that`s always a nice surpise specialy when you are not expecting it for another 3 days.

The package had everything included: outer box, inner box, quick start guide, user manual, interactive CD, original price tag and a couple of links that has been removed by the previous owner. The previous owner, bought the watch in November 2010 and it was worn less than a dozen times. There is only one visible scratch on the clasp which can be removed easily.

Now, as some of you know, I already have a "Blue Angels" - that`s the 3rd generation, if I`m not mistaken. Love the watch. Love the style. And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Citizen has listened to "customer complaints" and did some improvement. But lets start from the begining.

This Blue angels is somewhat bigger that its previous model. It measures 48mm including the crown. It is somewhat heavier but not significantly. The shape of the brushed stainless steel case looks chunkier and the overall thinkness of the watch is reduced by the flat cristal. The crown is protected by crown guards and when pushed all the way in, the crown is prety much flat with the crown guards. The case is rated for 200 Meters but not for Scuba Diving. Easy to operate polished buttons complete the shape of the case. The case back has the usual Blue Angels logo but as a change (or maybe as a challenge) there are no holes/slots that would allow you to open the watch!!! Interesting... I`m sure there is a trick to it.

However, there is that litlle anoying issue that the privious models had as well: trying to turn the crown while the watch is on your wrist. This time, to make it more difficult, you have to pull the crown to the 1st click and then turn it to change modes and belive me, this task is difficult enought when you wear your watch loose on your wrist.

The slide rule bezel offers the same functions as the previous Blue Angels; navigational calculations, ground speed, flying distance, fuel consumption, maximum flying hours, conversions, multiplication, division and square root calculations. To do all this, you`ll have some "homework" to do to understand how to line up the outer scale with various markers found on the inner scale and on the chapter ring. But mostly, you`ll need some very good eyes...

The blue dial may look somewhat busy but seems well balanced and organized. Luminous markers at 5 minutes interval are placed all around the dial. There are 3 subdials on the top half of the main dial showing various functions like battery charge level, automatic radio wave selection function, UTC time and a 24 hour dial.

The bottom half of the display has a small LCD display at 9 showing your "Home City Name". A larger LCD display at 3 is where the action takes place. That`s the display that shows the various functions and setting. At 6 you`ll find a mode status subdial that has 8 different modes that can be
selected by pulling out the crown to the 1st click and then turnning it either direction. The modes are: Time, Calendar, Timer, Chronograph, World Time Set, Alarm 1 and 2 and a Manual Receive Set.

Compared to the previous model, the Hour/minutes hands are filled with lume. The lume charges up realy fast but looses intensity just as fast. However, that`s not to say that the hands are not visible at 4:35 in the morning. The fact that the hands are not hollow or only partialy filled with lume, is definately a bonus, however, when the hands are on top of the LCD display, you`ll have to wait til they move out of the way until the LCD can be viewed. The hour/minutes hands are topped by a nice yellow second hand that it hits every mark on the dial spot on! Just not realy sure why they don`t make the second hand a little bit longer... Anyway, the second hand also has a secondary function by showing you the radio signal strenght (High - Medium - Low) as well as confirming if there was a succesfull synchronization.

At the time, I was wearing my Seiko Sawtooth so here is a comparisson lume shot with both watches, side by side. I don`t think it will be difficult to tell which one is the Sawtooth ...

As a change from the previous model, this model does not have an integrated bracelet. I don`t particularly care much about it since I like the Stainless Steel bracelet that comes with the watch. But I`m sure that the fact that the bracelet can be removed and replaced with other options, its nothing but a bonus. The bracelet is solid end links and solid links all the way held toghether by the usual pins. Looks elegant and sporty at the same time, not to mention that it is confortable as well.

And just when you are all excited about the bracelet and you give it high marks - there is the clasp! Normaly, I wouldn`t get turned off by a clasp but this one just doesn`t belong on this bracelet. Its not a bad looking clasp but it certainly looks cheap... it feels like it belongs to a cheapper watch. And, to top it all off, there are no fine adjustment holes. None! Nada! Zilch! Tough luck! The secret is "hidden" in the links from the bracelet. Not all links are the same; some are shorter than others. Particularly the ones that are on either side of the clasp. So, you can remove a big link or you can remove a short link. I don`t think this solution has a lot a fans who whould like to be able to quickly change how loose or how tide they like to wear the watch.

In this pic, you can see the clasp quality difference between the 2 Blue Angels. The one on the right is the older Blue Angels model

Now the interesting part: The movement. The Blue Angels JY0040-59L has a U600 movement with features that you may or may not use. The best feature of the U600 movement is its radio controlled time adjustment and the features supporting it. In normal time mode, you can check, at the push of the button, if watch has synchronized succesfully. The synchronization is set to take place at 2:00AM, 3:00AM or 4:00AM local time. The later synch time (4:00AM) can be set to a different time should you choose to do that. The synch time can take up to 15 minutes depending on the signal strenght, I assume. The 1st
time I synch it, I was in the basement of my house where I picked up a Low signal but the whole thing lasted only minutes.

There is also a manual synch option by selecting the RX-S mode. Other features include a 1/100 chrono, a 99 minutes timer, a lot more timezones than you`ll ever use, 2 Alarms.

As an improvement over the previous models, this model has illuminated display. At a push of a button, an orange color light illuminates both displays for aproximately 3 seconds. That`s good. I like that. But ... the characters on the display are still small. Found myself pushing the light button 3 or 4 times trying to get my eyes to focus. Yeah I know - I`m getting old, I need glasess. The one thing I didn`t like is that the light can
be only used in Time and Calendar mode. So, if the mode selector is on Timer and/or Chrono mode, the light function will not work since the same button that activates the light, will star/stop the Timer/Chrono function.

The nice thing about the U600 movement is that with its radio controlled time & date setting, you`ll never have to touch the watch again. It`s the watch were you set it and forget it. It is a self sufficient watch: light will power it - fully charged, it will run for 6 months without further exposure to light. And the radio waves will set it. And you, forget it.

But it doesn`t end here. Everything that can be set automatic, can be set manualy as well. If you live in a weird area with no reception, the time/date can be set manualy. If you live in a weird time zone, you can set the time in 15 minutes increments and if you don`t want to receive the radio signal, well, you can turn it off. And .... if you don`t wanna wear your fantastic Blue Angels watch for the next 2 1/2 years, you can do that too since its power saving feature will keep the watch alive.

So, there you have it. The 21st Century watch. In closing, here are the wrist shots.

watches can do. Very impressive.
This one, and the casio avaitor style I had are packed with so many
functions it's incredible, but as much as I'm impressed by it all,
I seem to be drawn to the most simple of watches.
My new Victorinox seems to be getting all my wrist time now.
Easy to read, and I never worry about the time anymore
with it's quartz accuracy.

February 19th, 2011, 7:49 pm #4

a G Shock. A Mil guy in Okinawa had some to sell....big one at 48! Same as the GA 100 series g shock...enjoy!

February 19th, 2011, 8:29 pm #5

Great catch Leslie

I love the fact that its radio / atomic.
I have one Citizen with this function and it receives better than Casio for my part of the world a solid and durable piece. Cool to see both generations side by side.
Wear it in good health, for many years to come

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

February 19th, 2011, 9:00 pm #6

I've always been fascinated by these ones.

I'd consider one if ever given the chance to see and try it.

February 19th, 2011, 10:34 pm #7

For me though watches like this present the same problems a VCR must have for my parents. Heck, I still can't post pictures on some of the watch forums! Looks to be a good size for your wrist as well.

Quality comes with time.

February 20th, 2011, 2:22 am #8

a G Shock. A Mil guy in Okinawa had some to sell....big one at 48! Same as the GA 100 series g shock...enjoy!
........ I didn`t realize that this models are that old. I was thinking that they were about 3 - 4 years old.

February 20th, 2011, 2:24 am #9

watches can do. Very impressive.
This one, and the casio avaitor style I had are packed with so many
functions it's incredible, but as much as I'm impressed by it all,
I seem to be drawn to the most simple of watches.
My new Victorinox seems to be getting all my wrist time now.
Easy to read, and I never worry about the time anymore
with it's quartz accuracy.
........ I still love to go back to the "plain & simple" automatics. And I will as soon as I run some tests on this new watch.

February 20th, 2011, 2:25 am #10

why didn't you get the whole F/A-18 Hornet?

------------------------------------------

..... therefore I go for the C/F - 18