Black? Brown? or................................ ???

Black? Brown? or................................ ???

June 24th, 2010, 10:55 pm #1

After a quick trip to my watch repair guy yesterday I got my Alarm Date back and he fixed the spinning dial problem! (Dial feet were broken off) $25.00 later and it looks almost brand new!
Now.......... the question is this:
Band color......... Black, Brown, Grey, Burgandy or?? You tell me!
Also ........... grained such as croc, gator, lizard or??

June 24th, 2010, 11:11 pm #2

for a total of $35.00 Great result! As for the strap - you choose

Sweephand

June 24th, 2010, 11:15 pm #3

you are absolutely right.......... for a grand total of $35.00 I couldnt have gone wrong! Pays to visit Craigs list once in awhile as ya never know what you may find!
If the guy who sold it to me had any clue as to what these things are worth he would never have let it go for $10.00

G07

June 24th, 2010, 11:25 pm #4

After a quick trip to my watch repair guy yesterday I got my Alarm Date back and he fixed the spinning dial problem! (Dial feet were broken off) $25.00 later and it looks almost brand new!
Nice pick up Rene!
Black dial - I'd go with brown ... many shades would go nicely, from dark brown to golden brown
Not a fan of black straps with black dials - that's just me.
Good luck -

John

June 25th, 2010, 12:04 am #5

I'm not either as too much Black makes something look stark!
Wasnt too sure how others would feel about Brown tho!

Edited to ask: What kind of grain would look best with this style of watch? Would Croc or Gator be too dressy or out of place?
Last edited by time_watcher on June 25th, 2010, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 25th, 2010, 12:25 am #6

wow, black beauty! ;) great find. more pics please. ;) nt

June 25th, 2010, 12:43 am #7

OK........ you asked for it! LOL Hope I dont bore you!?

Its really hard to tell from my pics but the dial is absolutely MINT as are the hands! The little "specks" you see are imperfections in the crystal! I have polished the heck out of it but I guess I need to polish it yet some more!
I'm not too good with dating Vintage Citizens but if I'm not mistaken this one according to the Serial number is from 1975? NOT too bad of shape for one that old! Runs STRONG too and the alarm is LOUD! Much louder IMO then any Bellmatic.
I have previously owned 3 of these Citizen Alarm Daters but the previous ones have all been the UFO or Cushion style case! I like this style much better!

June 25th, 2010, 12:55 am #8

I like the vintage scripting. Very nice detailing.
How's the back come off? pressed on?
And lume still glows?
Looks like a 40mm.

I like it. I have yet to find a treasure for a few bucks.
Dave.

June 25th, 2010, 1:04 am #9

It's actually only 38mm and just barely that!
Back is pressed on and yes.... lume still glows bright altho not for very long!
I regularly check my local Craigs list (every day in fact) for watches and have found some decent ones but have really only purchased 2
You should see if you never saw it before, my Arnie I bought locally on Craigs list! Absolutely immaculate condition with only minor marks on it and NO cracks etc on the shroud! Only thing it needed was a fresh battery and it fired right up! Price?? = $80.00
Another case of seller not realizing what he had!

June 25th, 2010, 3:11 am #10

I'm not that big on large texture straps so I would probably put it on a buffalo or similar black strap.

But that is just a personal choice; if you like the large texture then definitely go for it...in black of course

------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ancre-Steam on June 25th, 2010, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.