Anyone else having browser issues on SCWF due to the "snow"?

Anyone else having browser issues on SCWF due to the "snow"?

December 17th, 2011, 4:09 am #1

It is really annoying and I feel as if because some are not having an issue that it is not a problem..

Cheers

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

Tony Lewis
New Zealand

December 17th, 2011, 4:18 am #2

The light flurries are only marginally compromising with my computer but the heavier downfall causes 'choppy' screen repaints and strange happenings when typing in post responses...I can type a whole sentence then sit back and watch it print; just like an old teletype machine!

I can only imagine what some folks with processor challenged machines must be experiencing

I am surprised that the mod who put the 'snow' app up, isn't a little more sensitive to the havoc it is causing to Royal subjects and serfs alike

------------------------------------------

December 17th, 2011, 7:20 am #3

It is really annoying and I feel as if because some are not having an issue that it is not a problem..

Cheers

Tony Lewis
New Zealand
nt

December 17th, 2011, 12:19 pm #4

The light flurries are only marginally compromising with my computer but the heavier downfall causes 'choppy' screen repaints and strange happenings when typing in post responses...I can type a whole sentence then sit back and watch it print; just like an old teletype machine!

I can only imagine what some folks with processor challenged machines must be experiencing

I am surprised that the mod who put the 'snow' app up, isn't a little more sensitive to the havoc it is causing to Royal subjects and serfs alike

Pete, I cannot imagine how long people must keep their computers. I, a full blooded IT professional, am using a 3.4Ghz hyperthreaded P4 with 2GB of ram and an ATI Radeon X1300 openGL graphics card running WinXP. This is state of the art bleeding edge computing, circa 2004. The snow is utterly ignorable on my system. What the heck are others running that they are having issues?

December 17th, 2011, 5:10 pm #5

my 2008 Intel Quad core machine with 4GB of RAM and a similar GPU to yours does notice it when they 'turn up' the snow. It is only mildly distracting so I can live with it but there may be something else in different configurations that is more to blame.

Perhaps it's the extra jumps the packets have to take to the bottom of the world and then have to turn themselves upside down so they don't fall up the screen

December 17th, 2011, 6:56 pm #6

Pete, I cannot imagine how long people must keep their computers. I, a full blooded IT professional, am using a 3.4Ghz hyperthreaded P4 with 2GB of ram and an ATI Radeon X1300 openGL graphics card running WinXP. This is state of the art bleeding edge computing, circa 2004. The snow is utterly ignorable on my system. What the heck are others running that they are having issues?
The point is that it is an issue for members and despite complaints about it continues.. I have PMd mods about it and they are sympathetic but one said that it would be run past the tech but that there had been a positive response to it..

There have been a number of complaints that it is causing problems and I just find the whole thing annoying.. The party line seems to be: I am OK Jack, so too bad..

Oh, and I have complained over at SCWF..

Tony Lewis
New Zealand
Last edited by anzac1957 on December 17th, 2011, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2011, 7:13 pm #7

and surfing the SCWF; I notice there are a couple of threads about the flaky snow. There does seem to be way more than a small group of folks complaining about the ill affects it is having.

The mods should be a little more understanding of people's concerns rather than being dictatorial about it. That attitude bothers me more than the flakes

December 17th, 2011, 8:06 pm #8

my 2008 Intel Quad core machine with 4GB of RAM and a similar GPU to yours does notice it when they 'turn up' the snow. It is only mildly distracting so I can live with it but there may be something else in different configurations that is more to blame.

Perhaps it's the extra jumps the packets have to take to the bottom of the world and then have to turn themselves upside down so they don't fall up the screen

Must be really specific to browser/OS/video combinations. Of course as it is a Java driven "enhancement" I'm not surprised that it causes problems. I agree with others who are complaining that as it does impact them, it should be turned off. It's cute but if it interferes with the use of the site then out it goes!
Last edited by sjbrook on December 17th, 2011, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2011, 8:13 pm #9

The mod(s) have stated that it will stay and will again be put up on Xmas!

Last edited by Ancre-Steam on December 17th, 2011, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2011, 8:41 pm #10

Cheers

Tony Lewis
New Zealand