Any Tissot experts here???

Any Tissot experts here???

March 8th, 2011, 10:38 pm #1

I ran across this one on my local Craigs list and must admit.... I am tempted! I however know nada about Tissots so perhaps someone can shed a bit of light?
Value, etc etc?

Watch is 1969 and model is: PR 516 GL automatic
Seller is asking $100.00 for it which seems like a good price but I dunno! Only thing I dont care for is that the band cant be swapped but I guess that's something I could live with!

March 9th, 2011, 3:09 am #2

forget about it; they are nothing but trouble

------------------------------------------

March 9th, 2011, 3:10 am #3

really? why? nt

March 9th, 2011, 3:28 am #4

or check out some of the other watch forums

Basically they have a lot of bad modules and the replacements are not much better

March 9th, 2011, 3:38 am #5

that the T-Touch was the most troublesome watch that he had ever encountered. He had a stready stream of them coming in and all he could do was replace the modules.

I heard a similar story from another watchmaker, although to be fair, he already had a decades-old dislike of Tissot.

March 9th, 2011, 3:43 am #6

or check out some of the other watch forums

Basically they have a lot of bad modules and the replacements are not much better

I've always heard good things about them.

They are really cool to play around, my fave at the moment.

Tissot Sea-Touch. Have fun with this one.

But it concerns me now, hearing that modules are bad.

March 9th, 2011, 2:07 pm #7

I ran across this one on my local Craigs list and must admit.... I am tempted! I however know nada about Tissots so perhaps someone can shed a bit of light?
Value, etc etc?

Watch is 1969 and model is: PR 516 GL automatic
Seller is asking $100.00 for it which seems like a good price but I dunno! Only thing I dont care for is that the band cant be swapped but I guess that's something I could live with!
If equipped. Some of these older models use a push or pull of the stem to quick set the date, and often these get damaged and need new parts.

Here is a video I took of one that I repaired a while back. It shows the assembled watch and how the quick set is used by pushing the crown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZP9RDX2DaY

Note that many of these old Tissot's have basically Omega movements in them. The Cal. 2591 aboive is basically the same as the Omega Cal. 1480.

As always, I advise people to factor in the cost of servicing any vintage watch they buy to avoid disappointment. If you don't have to service it, consider it a bonus.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

March 9th, 2011, 2:10 pm #8

I've always heard good things about them.

They are really cool to play around, my fave at the moment.

Tissot Sea-Touch. Have fun with this one.

But it concerns me now, hearing that modules are bad.
Indeed the older models had lots of troubles, but I have heard the new models are a bit better and have fewer issues. Still there's not a whole lot you can do to fix them other than change the modules.

My best advice is to keep it out of the water as much as possible - I know what it's rated for, but they seem to not like the water very much!

Cheers, Al

March 9th, 2011, 8:43 pm #9

I've been reading the newer t touches are better now.

Funny, to keep it out of water, and my Sea-Touch is made to dive with.
Ah the irony. lol.

Well, desk diver mostly these days, so hope it all is good in my keeping.
They are really fun however, not sure if this novelty will pass.

Thanks for sharing as always Al.