Any one surprised...

Any one surprised...

December 4th, 2010, 5:03 pm #1

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... 496.0.html

Seiko has a long history of 'firsts' which mostly turn out to be copies of similar technologies and designs 'inspired' by others.
The big difference is that Seiko generally gets to the patent office quicker than the competition...think magic lever; quartz, spring drive.

To be fair; the Swiss have been making 'inspired' watches for almost as long as they have been in business. The Chinese are pretty good at it too

------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ancre-Steam on December 4th, 2010, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2010, 5:33 pm #2

...that case design is gorgeous no matter who done it first!

December 4th, 2010, 6:17 pm #3

December 4th, 2010, 7:44 pm #4

Seiko has a long history of 'firsts' which mostly turn out to be copies of similar technologies and designs 'inspired' by others.
The big difference is that Seiko generally gets to the patent office quicker than the competition...think magic lever; quartz, spring drive.

To be fair; the Swiss have been making 'inspired' watches for almost as long as they have been in business. The Chinese are pretty good at it too

Many concepts come out, but the ones who reap the rewards are the ones who can first patent and deliver the goods.
Japanese have been great at that in many industries.
Nuclear arms race, first man to the moon, etc...

December 4th, 2010, 8:29 pm #5

December 4th, 2010, 8:45 pm #6

hehe.
I didn't mean the Japanese in that respect.
I meant about the race to get the prize. lol.

December 4th, 2010, 9:55 pm #7

when I visit the moon, I don't want to have to learn Japanese to visit the Copernicus Sushi Bar

December 4th, 2010, 10:02 pm #8

Thats where I'd like to go and must try the moon sushi. hehe.
I wonder if the genius' over at Nasa ever came up with sushi MRE for astronauts? hmmm

December 4th, 2010, 10:31 pm #9

not to mention the odours in the space capsule. I guess they could just hang it outside the hatch door to keep it fresh

December 4th, 2010, 10:38 pm #10

but I read that 2 Japanese visiting him, saw it and took the idea back home and developed it. It was an American who created the quality circle concept, and Toyota refined it for its production line etc....
Is Japan simply a nation of copiers?? That has been a past criticism. Japan back in 1863 decided (the emperor) to open up the country to the Europeans and thus began to play catch-up with many Western ideas and cultural concepts...the clock was one of them!The railway system another, western clothing (top hats and tails, pants etc etc...)
In 2003 when I arrived here, I read an article wondering why there were no Nobel Japanese prize winners! One Japanese professor thought that Japan had to rebuild its country after WWII and had not time for free science investigation. Just this year, 2 Japanese scientists won prizes.

Since I have been working at Panasonic, I had learned all engineers must submit 2 patents a year and if accepted they get a mere $50. Now, China had more patents than Japan!

I read that Seiko's Space Walk watch won a prestigious Horology award.

The Japanese are very creative and inventive in the gadget world, for items pertaining to its own particular culture and social needs...the heated toilet seat for instance!!! haha!