MN to AK to CA and Back

MN to AK to CA and Back

June 25th, 2012, 11:59 pm #1

I've competed in a MN2000 and very much enjoyed it. Work just re-did their 4th schedule and I find I have 9 days this next week to go for a bike ride. I want to leave MN, ride to Alaska then to San Diego and home. I'm good on the USA riding but I've not travelled much in Canada nor gone to Alaska. Any advice? Are the roads paved? Any preferred roads over others? I ride a FJR1300. Thanks so much.

Mark Keller
Mark Keller

June 26th, 2012, 4:15 am #2

Make sure you have a passport for re-entering the US. Also let your insurance company know that you will be traveling in Canada so you they can send you the proper papers.

I have traveled to as far south as Hyder and up to Denali. There is a big difference between the two destinations, yet both are in Alaska. Let us know where you are headed and we can assist from there.

June 26th, 2012, 12:28 pm #3

Thanks Mark, I never thought of calling my insurance company.
I guess I don't have any specific area in Alaska. I was looking at going over to Montana then up into Canada to Alaska. It looks like there is only one major road(?). Then going from Alaska to California, I have two choices with or without taking the ferry. All I read on the ferry, I don't think I will take that route.
I want to reach Alaska, turn south and hit the Mexico border. Are the roads paved or am I going to ruin my bike if I go on this trip?

Thanks again.

Bart
Bart

June 26th, 2012, 12:49 pm #4

Unless you're planning on spending very long days in the saddle and very little time stopping or flower sniffing, I would suggest going to Hyder, Alaska and declare victory. MN (Twin Cities) to Hyder to San Diego and back to MN is roughly 6,400 miles, which is very doable in nine days while still taking time for more scenic roads and stops. To make the same ride with Tok, Alaska as your northern point is over 8,000 miles in nine days. Doable, but more like rally-mode riding. Although maybe that's what you're after.

Mark Keller
Mark Keller

June 26th, 2012, 2:51 pm #5

I've competed in a MN2000 and very much enjoyed it. Work just re-did their 4th schedule and I find I have 9 days this next week to go for a bike ride. I want to leave MN, ride to Alaska then to San Diego and home. I'm good on the USA riding but I've not travelled much in Canada nor gone to Alaska. Any advice? Are the roads paved? Any preferred roads over others? I ride a FJR1300. Thanks so much.
I am with Bart on this one. The roads to Hyder are all paved and should not be an issue outside of any normal road construction.

One other tip is to use Google Maps and drag the "little man" on to the map. You will be able to look at photos of the actual road. This may help you make a decision on which route you want to take.

June 26th, 2012, 5:04 pm #6

Wow, does that shorten my trip. Thanks!
When going from Hyder, Alaska to San Diego, Google has me on I-5. Do I want that route with the 4th and all it's traffic or would I be better going on the US 395 route?

Thanks for all the help.

fugarwe
fugarwe

June 26th, 2012, 6:38 pm #7

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

http://www.ironbutt.org/higdon/4corners.html

You could throw in Alaska and there you go!

Sleddog
Sleddog

June 26th, 2012, 6:52 pm #8

Wow, does that shorten my trip. Thanks!
When going from Hyder, Alaska to San Diego, Google has me on I-5. Do I want that route with the 4th and all it's traffic or would I be better going on the US 395 route?

Thanks for all the help.
Hyder is a great place. If you go, plan on eating the freshest Halibut at the Seafood Express!

FYI....just had two guys stay at my place last night. They're on their way back to Key West, FL to complete a UCCC (Key West-Prudhoe Bay-Key West) They came down the Cassier Hiway & didn't go to Hyder because there are no rooms available because of the Gold Mine opening.

You might check with the King Edward Motel in Stewart 800-663-3126

It will be a fun...Scenic ride.....Have Fun!

Sleddog

June 27th, 2012, 3:35 am #9

Wow. After looking at what is in Alaska, I will plan on staying in Alaska for a few days and skip San Diego.

Would I want to pack my tent or is it too dangerous with the wildlife? Any areas I should see? Any fishing guides that can take me fishing?

Thanks everyone for making an okay trip turn into a great trip.

June 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm #10

San Diego vs. Hyder, no contest in my book, Hyder.

I have seen people tent camp in Hyder but I've also seen the bears wander through town regularly.

A ride up to the Salmon glacier is always a Hyder highlight but with the new activity at the mine you should check on the road conditions. I'm not a fisherman so never looked into it but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some guided fishing out of Hyder.

Confirmation of reply: