Curt Gran

Curt Gran

Lurleen
Lurleen

June 17th, 2012, 6:27 pm #1

It is with much sadness that I tell you that Curt Gran passed away yesterday in North Dakota while riding in the MN1K. The wind was reportedly very strong and according to LOE Curt's bike was pushed into a horse trailer.

Curt was a great friend of TeamStrange and such a great help to so many riders. Please keep his family and especially his wife, Cindy in your thoughts and prayers.

Curt, you will be so missed.

Lisa

Bart
Bart

June 17th, 2012, 8:56 pm #2

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Cindy and to Curt's family on this heartbreaking day. I spoke with Curt's dear friend Gary Klinker this morning as the Minnesota 1000 was winding down, and he promised to pass along information regarding any memorial services. Gary was in Minot with Cindy and taking care of arrangements there.

Curt was one of the best, most competitive rally riders ever, but he never displayed a big ego or attitude. He was just a super nice man, always ready to help and share his talent and knowledge with his fellow riders. I can't find the proper words to communicate just how devastated his fellow MN1K riders and the TeamStrange community are at the loss of Curt. None of us will ever forget him.

Bart Bakker
Minnesota 1000 rallymaster

Mrs Sleddog/sleddog
Mrs Sleddog/sleddog

June 18th, 2012, 12:58 am #3

I was sitting by Curt on Friday evening, giving each other crap.

My last words to him were, "You know we all love ya". He had his sheepish smile and said "Ya right". I think he knew it.

He has helped so many of us with our GPS issues.

We will truly miss him.

We really do LOVE YA CURT. God must have needed another angel. And a smart one.

Marlene

Lurleen
Lurleen

June 18th, 2012, 1:38 am #4

When you bond with someone over Waffle House related bonuses - you've truly bonded.

http://livinglurleen.blogspot.com/2012/ ... there.html

Jim Weatherhead
Jim Weatherhead

June 18th, 2012, 2:11 am #5

I was sitting by Curt on Friday evening, giving each other crap.

My last words to him were, "You know we all love ya". He had his sheepish smile and said "Ya right". I think he knew it.

He has helped so many of us with our GPS issues.

We will truly miss him.

We really do LOVE YA CURT. God must have needed another angel. And a smart one.

Marlene
Curt and I didn't get to talk Friday night other than to say our brief hello's, but I will now always remember the eye contact and nods that we made as we headed to our bikes Friday evening...and of course the time out on the field of play a few years ago when you asked to look at my map...something about not trusting your GPS Our UP ride together that night chasing a great sunset on Gichigami is one of my all-time favorite rally memories.

My deepest condolences to Cindy and the entire Gran family; Curt was one of the most respected people I've ever known, always kind, always helpful, always humble and genuine - A true friend to any who knew him. Godspeed Mr. Curt Gran. You will be deeply missed and fondly remembered by all who knew you.

Tim Conway
Tim Conway

June 18th, 2012, 1:42 pm #6

It is with much sadness that I tell you that Curt Gran passed away yesterday in North Dakota while riding in the MN1K. The wind was reportedly very strong and according to LOE Curt's bike was pushed into a horse trailer.

Curt was a great friend of TeamStrange and such a great help to so many riders. Please keep his family and especially his wife, Cindy in your thoughts and prayers.

Lisa
What a tragedy. Marty Leir and I had the good fortune to meet up with Curt and Cindy and Rebecca Vaughn and Dan for a terrific dinner in Milwaukee just a few weekends ago. We ate well, laughed a lot, did a lot of bench rallying, and had an all around great evening. He sat at the end of the table with a smile on his face, demurely deflecting praise for some of his truly astonishing rides. That's how I hope to remember him.

My thoughts are with Cindy and all of Curt's family and circle of friends.

- Tim

June 18th, 2012, 3:17 pm #7

When I saw this yesterday it hit hard enough that it has taken until today for it to sink in. I have been fortunate enough to have met a lot of outstanding individuals in this sport and my life.
Curt was certainly among the top of that list. One quality that he shared with Eddie was the ability to make evryone feel like they were his friend and equal....rare.

To Cindy his family and close friends; my prayers for you.

Allen

Steve
Steve

June 18th, 2012, 3:28 pm #8

Lisa
In addition to being one of the most caring people I have ever met, I hope I never forget the generosity and kindness Curt added to the World, including the Long Distance Riding community.

God's Speed, Curt, and condolences to your Family, Friends, All who knew you, and All who knew of you.

-Steve

June 18th, 2012, 4:48 pm #9

Lisa
Curt will be sorely missed by us all. He was a great competitor while staying humble to us recreational ralliers (While we want to rally like Curt, we know we just aren't that good). Curt was always available to answer questions and pick up a heavy bike off idiots that don't know how to ride on gravel (and without the associated ridicule that was deserved).

I am sorry I didn't take the opportunity to become closer friends with Curt (and Cindy). My condolences and prayers to Cindy and all of Curt's family and friends.

We lost a good one yesterday. Godspeed Curt.

Jeff

Daggy
Daggy

June 18th, 2012, 6:44 pm #10

I find myself tearing up as I think about this.
I am so, so saddened to hear of his passing.

Curt was such an inspiration to the rest of us lesser rally competitors.
He brought a real deep passion to the sport we love so much.
I recall many occasions where he would be describing an LD ride, bonus or rally and everyone else just kept in awe quiet and respect.

We lost a real good rider this weekend. Generous one at that, always ready to share his secrets and stories.

The best of thoughts to Cindy and his family at this time.

Yes, godspeed.

Confirmation of reply: