Who Won the Explorers Wrapper?

Who Won the Explorers Wrapper?

March 12th, 2012, 9:21 pm #1

I'm still hurting over not winning the Explorers of America wrapper on Ebay. My congratulations to whoever won it. Does the winner frequent this board? If so, I don't want to post an image and steal his thunder. If not, it was a beautiful wrapper and should be added to the Gallery. I hate auctions when I don't win ... ok, I'll get over it. -Jack J.

March 12th, 2012, 9:47 pm #2

Last edited by DanCalandriello on March 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2012, 11:36 pm #3

I'm still hurting over not winning the Explorers of America wrapper on Ebay. My congratulations to whoever won it. Does the winner frequent this board? If so, I don't want to post an image and steal his thunder. If not, it was a beautiful wrapper and should be added to the Gallery. I hate auctions when I don't win ... ok, I'll get over it. -Jack J.
Jack, I thought of you as I watched the price shoot up!

PS: No, I didn't win it!
Last edited by non-sport.com on March 12th, 2012, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2012, 11:51 pm #4

So, are there more of these around? This is the first I've seen, and it's got all the things I'm looking for in a wrapper - obscure set, obscure company, early, beautiful graphics and color, and rare. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who appreciates all these qualities. Unfortunately again, one other apparent quality is "out of my price range". It's good to see one show up and to have been part of the auction. At least I can look at it in the Gallery. Man, do I sound like sour grapes. To whoever won it, again, congratulations. - Jack J.

March 13th, 2012, 1:01 am #5

I was lucky and nabbed this one a few weeks ago from the same seller,
but was outbid on the explorers

It should be noted that both are Candy and therefore E cards

It should also be noted that just like Shotwell Mfg. from the 1920's
there is no mention of cards on the wrappers
Last edited by ctyankkee on March 13th, 2012, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 1:46 am #6

Great pickup by whoever got it. Loose wiles are better than loose morals, I say.

March 13th, 2012, 1:47 am #7

Should have known that you got the Lone Eagle wrapper. I was the under or third bidder on that one. Should have ratcheted up the bid. I have one of the Lone Eagle airplane cards and I agrees they are candy and should be E cards really. Or R cards depending on heir date of issuance. Congrats to all who won the wrappers. They are exquisite works of art.....

March 13th, 2012, 2:01 am #8

Some interesting history here on the Loose-Wiles and Sunshine Biscuits, plus a couple of my old Sunshine Biscuits cards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Biscuits

Last edited by ChuckRoss on March 13th, 2012, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 2:03 am #9

Sorry Tom but I was uderbidder on the airplane card

Chuck

It so happens that I also bought a loose morals wrapper from the same seller

I was hoping someone would post a few cards from the set

March 13th, 2012, 12:36 pm #10

Jim, you are a funny man. Please share scans of those cards if you ever get any.