War News Pictures - Dirty Dozen Announcement

March 28th, 2017, 3:18 pm #11

Tom has graciously allowed us to post this here (thanks Tom!).

As many of you know (or have guessed) that I have made several vintage reprint cards on "RARE" non-sport cards. What you may not know is that I have never made any money doing it! I do charge for them in the hopes of someday recouping my expenses but still have not been able to do so. That being said, one of the series I always wanted to tackle was the War News Pictures "Dirty Dozen" set. In the past I have done a few cards so was able to afford to cover the costs out of my own pocket. With WNP I just can't afford to do this. Recently, I was talking to Kurt Kuersteiner (of Monsterwax fame) and he thought together we could maybe produce this series as a Kickstarter campaign. So that is what we decided to try. The campaign was launched today (which just happens to be my birthday). So for those of you who are interested check it out on Kickstarter.

Todd & Kurt
Jack- The fund drive is still open. Click on the Kickstarter link in Todd's posting

March 28th, 2017, 3:42 pm #12

As many of you know (or have guessed) that I have made several vintage reprint cards on "RARE" non-sport cards. What you may not know is that I have never made any money doing it! I do charge for them in the hopes of someday recouping my expenses but still have not been able to do so. That being said, one of the series I always wanted to tackle was the War News Pictures "Dirty Dozen" set. In the past I have done a few cards so was able to afford to cover the costs out of my own pocket. With WNP I just can't afford to do this. Recently, I was talking to Kurt Kuersteiner (of Monsterwax fame) and he thought together we could maybe produce this series as a Kickstarter campaign. So that is what we decided to try. The campaign was launched today (which just happens to be my birthday). So for those of you who are interested check it out on Kickstarter.

Todd & Kurt
OOPS! I made the Todd/Tom switch. I know the difference, it just comes out wrong every once in a while.

I signed up for the Dirty Dozen and look forward to getting them. Todd, I only need eleven of the cards. Do I have to buy the whole set? Just kidding. - Jack J.

April 1st, 2017, 1:38 am #13

Todd & Kurt
I don't wanna jinx it, but it looks like we're about to break the "free War News Pictures wax wrapper" trigger. (Just $24 away from the stretch goal.) Wild!

April 12th, 2017, 4:21 am #14

Todd & Kurt
A big thanks for all those hardcore card collectors who helped our WAR NEWS PICTURES "Dirty Dozen" reprint campaign. We exceeded our stretch goal by about 100%. Although the campaign is not over yet (it will be early Wednesday evening), it looks like there are about FIVE dozen Dirty Dozen fans out there. (At least, ones who like the series but can't afford the originals.) Thanks for banding together to help us all finish our sets!

April 12th, 2017, 1:14 pm #15

Todd & Kurt
Congrats on the kickstarter campaign! From what I've seen, it's a great platform to fund projects that are just a little too costly to take on and gives some flexibility to both funders and fundee (I'm not sure thats a word) if it's not funded and if it goes above funding. I'm assuming they take around 10% as most of those platforms do. I may be in touch about a Kickstarter campaign for a personal pet project...............

April 12th, 2017, 10:30 pm #16

Todd & Kurt
This project was apparently motivated by people's desire to "finish" the set by printing quality copies of very hard to find cards. In my case, the project had the effect of interesting me in the set to the point I ordered a lot of 50 and another lot of 8 from eBay to get me started. I was able to get cards in all series (except the dirty dozen, of course).

THANKS!

-Dave

April 13th, 2017, 1:19 am #17

Todd & Kurt
That's awesome Dave. It's a quirky set, but the further along I get with it the more I like it. Not sure what grade you are looking for, but I have a few extras. click my name and e-mail me if you are interested.

May 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm #18

Todd & Kurt
Today's mail...

If any of you participated in this, please get you surveys filled out so we can start shipping!!

May 11th, 2017, 4:25 pm #19

Todd & Kurt
Wow, those look great! Can't wait to receive mine. Thanks again, Todd and Kurt, for doing this!

May 11th, 2017, 5:17 pm #20

Todd & Kurt
Hey Todd - Can I swing over and pick up my set and wrapper? It's not that far from California, and I just can't wait to get my purchase. They look super!!! - Jack J.