Orange Crush Dogs - blue corner

Orange Crush Dogs - blue corner

September 11th, 2013, 10:07 am #1

Orange Crush came with dog card premiums that were in a large part the same as the F279-5 Quaker Challenge of the Yukon Dog cards. One difference seen on some cards is a blue stripe in the lower right corner. The illustration shows two Orange Crush cards, one without a blue corner and one with.

I am hoping that the collective wisdom of this group can provide answers to two questions:

1) What circumstances caused this design element? One possibility is that it was part of some feature, such as carton advertising, etc., but I have not seen an example of same. Perhaps cards with blue corners were associated with a prize or premium. It is easier to speculate than to build a coherent theory.

2) Do all cards come with a blue corner variation? I can confirm that all exist without a blue stripe, but only about half been observed with the blue corner.

By the way, the squared corners in the picture is a scanner artifact, actual cards are rounded as in playing card style.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

September 11th, 2013, 8:34 pm #2

Hi Alan, While I don't have any answers , I am constantly amazed by the "mysteries" & "discovery's" that pop up Everyday in the NON SPORT hobby. Sure , there are other collectible "Old Stuff" hobby finds and questions...but just a stroll through a few pages here suggest that NON SPORTS is the final frontier for explorers.

What a great hobby!

CR

September 11th, 2013, 8:59 pm #3

Orange Crush came with dog card premiums that were in a large part the same as the F279-5 Quaker Challenge of the Yukon Dog cards. One difference seen on some cards is a blue stripe in the lower right corner. The illustration shows two Orange Crush cards, one without a blue corner and one with.

I am hoping that the collective wisdom of this group can provide answers to two questions:

1) What circumstances caused this design element? One possibility is that it was part of some feature, such as carton advertising, etc., but I have not seen an example of same. Perhaps cards with blue corners were associated with a prize or premium. It is easier to speculate than to build a coherent theory.

2) Do all cards come with a blue corner variation? I can confirm that all exist without a blue stripe, but only about half been observed with the blue corner.

By the way, the squared corners in the picture is a scanner artifact, actual cards are rounded as in playing card style.

I've seen the same thing on Card-O Aeroplane cards.

September 11th, 2013, 9:56 pm #4

A blue corner on Cardos is very interesting. I just looked at mine and found one of my own! On my example, there is less blue than on the Orange Crush dogs. I have seen a scan of an Old Colony dog with a similar, smaller patch of blue.

Are all of them from a single Cardo subset or is there more than one?

The is a Quaker Cereal tie-in, too. Quaker inserted both Dog Cards and Cardo Planes in their products (although not with blue corners.) Perhaps both sets were manufactured by the same company. It might follow that the phenomenon has nothing to do with the product, but is instead related to the manufacturing process.

This is all pure speculation, but speculating is easy when the evidence is slight.

September 12th, 2013, 4:28 pm #5

Alan, the only Card-Os, with blue corners, that I can come up with are both from Series 'C' - the B-24 and the Grumman Skyrocket. I'll send a note to another collector I know who is more into "blue corners".

Check out the Card-O page from my web site:

http://pjdenterprises.com/airplane_cards/card_o.html

September 12th, 2013, 7:29 pm #6

The Card-o I identified earlier was from series D. However, I found one with the "Orange-Crush-size' corner in Card-O: Fighters/Bombers.

In looking through these, I noticed many cards had picture borders that were the same color as the blue corner. These could be on 1, 2, or 3 sides. Perhaps they were fillers to make all of the pictures have planes that all filled the card to the same extent.

Then, as I was leafing through the NSB to identify the cards, I accidentally turned to the Quaker cereal Bird Cards that have the same blue color as left and right hand borders (of all cards). The Bird Cards are small, but have the basic playing card shape.

I believe we now have a trend.

September 12th, 2013, 8:49 pm #7

Here are the only ones, of mine, that I could find.
Ken

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

September 13th, 2013, 7:32 pm #8

I am unable to view the images Ken Bush posted.

I have a Cardo Mixed Series Grumman Wildcat with the blue in the lower left-hand corner.

September 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm #9

For as long as I can remember, I have a less than 50/50 chance of correctness when I use the words "left" or "right."

My affliction causes me to ask that you confirm that you are talking about the left corner. All other cases I am aware of concern the lower right corner.

September 14th, 2013, 11:42 am #10

Here are mine...