non sport card market dead?

non sport card market dead?

December 4th, 2016, 5:45 pm #1

Been watching the bay & it appears only rare & scarce cards are selling. Maybe
it is me, I'm wondering what you guys are thinking. People are talking about the
T51 college set, but it looks like people can't give them away. Is it worth the
time & effort to sell a card for a buck or $2. I am very curious as to what you guys
are seeing. Like I said maybe it is me. I hope a few guys respond so I can get
a feeling as to what is actually going on. Thank you!

December 4th, 2016, 10:58 pm #2

Auction sales aren't as strong, except for rare cards. The 2x Phoebe Phelps that ended today seemed very strong. Buy-It-Nows are still doing fine.

December 4th, 2016, 11:01 pm #3

it is me, I'm wondering what you guys are thinking. People are talking about the
time & effort to sell a card for a buck or $2. I am very curious as to what you guys
The T51 Murads have always been a $1 - $2 card, barring the exceptional condition example or mainstream sport (i.e. football).

Recent sales have actually shown the opposite of what you have mentioned. They are going for a lot more than I have ever seen them sell for.

Is it worth the effort to sell cards for $2 each? If you can make a $1 profit and list 30-40 an hour then I would say definitely yes. If you are unemployed, student, retired, bored with your spare time, etc. then 1/2 those results would still be a yes.

December 4th, 2016, 11:17 pm #4

Prices of the various collectibles I collect (cards, coins, models, stamps) have all been totally unpredicable over the last 6 months or so. This often happens during a presidental election cycle.

I look for sales to stabilize after about the 15th of March.

In the meantime, I throw dirt-cheap bids on some auctions (and win some).

Jon.

December 5th, 2016, 12:08 am #5

Yes and No! If it is something I want I never win it. If it is something I am selling I usually have to give it away.

December 5th, 2016, 12:11 am #6

Todd +1

December 5th, 2016, 12:22 am #7

I seem to agree with you. When you want something bad; I was just in on some of
the N3 (Arms) auctions, it is tough when the prices are up there. 1 card went for $97,
the highest I would go is $30 for that card. But I have paid more for others, as I'm
sure you have. That guy did all the talking about the T51s so I picked some up at the
show for what I thought was reasonable. Turns out I couldn't give them away on the bay.
With vintage cards today, you have to listen to people with experience such as yourself, Todd.
Just because you list 12 cards on COM - whatever doesn't mean you know non sports cards.
Last edited by 19Century on December 5th, 2016, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 5th, 2016, 1:15 am #8

More and more of my fellow sports card collectors are moving into non sports cards. It's what I did five years ago when my want list consisted of only high priced rookie cards. What fun is that? This of course does not include Civil War News which I've always collected LOL. The last local show my best pick-up was a few Mars Attacks cards I needed for my set. I also bought a '50 "Jiggles" card which I never seen before, and this AM I picked up a few more of these "Jiggles" cards on eBay. Topps Brady Bunch cards are always in my eBay search too, Topps Astronauts, Stooges, 50s 60s 70s I scour eBay quite a bit. I collect some of the tobacco and early 1900s stuff that most here seem to prefer but I'm still looking for Fleer Casper, Goudey Indians, Topps Laugh In, Get Smart, and Combat.
Please send help! LOL
Larry
Last edited by luckylarry777 on December 5th, 2016, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 5th, 2016, 12:47 pm #9

For my part I'm spending more than I ever have on cards on a monthly basis. I find an occasional "deal" but I still only win about 20% of any auction (eBay or otherwise) and it's been this way for a long time for me. Monthly I might bid $1000-ish but only ever win $200 or so. I will not consider the market dead until I start winning a significantly higher percentage of the auctions that I bid in. It would be nice if I could get to the point that there weren't $1000 worth of cards that I wanted every month but that never seems to happen. I just keep working on more and more stuff (and I only really collect non-photographic sets between R1 and R177). Recently I have been augmenting auction purchases with private deals with a host of people. I really enjoy this hobby, and have for years. It's been good for the side of my personality that wants to keep things organized.

December 5th, 2016, 2:09 pm #10

I mentioned the word unpredictable in my first post in this thread; without mentioning sets, two recent examples:

(1) A non-USA set that I am still trying to complete (and probably never will) of 108 cards. All of the cards are difficult, some more than others (some I have yet to even see). Last month, another collector sold off his partial set on ebay, 1 card at a time. There were 5 cards that I needed. I bid 3 times the average sale value for each of the cards, because I wanted them. Two, I bought at the opening bid (3 times less than the average); the other 3 I was outbid.

(2) A USA set of 3 cards that I really like came up last month. I had two complete sets, but these were nice! I bid a reasonable price for the set, and won it at the opening bid, 20 percent of my bid! This set is RARE!

If I were selling at this time, I think I would have a reasonable minimum and a buy-it-now; but as a buyer, thankful for those that start cards at 99 cents!

Jon.