Lev Gleason comics picture trading set

Lev Gleason comics picture trading set

January 30th, 2012, 9:35 pm #1

Saw an ad for these in an early 50's Daredevil(not Marvel) comic. I tried finding pics on this site, but no luck. there were five sets of three cards, all characters from Gleason's comics. Intersting comic titles: Crime does not Pay, Boy, Crime and Punishment, Daredevil, and Black Diamond. Each set was available for two cut-out coupons from those comics and 10c. Do any of you guys have these and any pics?

January 30th, 2012, 9:42 pm #2

The title caught my interest, as I am very familiar with the publisher and those comic titles, but wasn't aware there were cards issued by them. Do you have a scan of the ad, or can you at least let me know what issue number it was that you saw it in? I don't think I have any of the golden age Daredevil issues currently, but may be able to locate scans if you don't have a hard copy to get one from.

January 30th, 2012, 9:48 pm #3

Saw an ad for these in an early 50's Daredevil(not Marvel) comic. I tried finding pics on this site, but no luck. there were five sets of three cards, all characters from Gleason's comics. Intersting comic titles: Crime does not Pay, Boy, Crime and Punishment, Daredevil, and Black Diamond. Each set was available for two cut-out coupons from those comics and 10c. Do any of you guys have these and any pics?
Here ya go....several have been sold recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-s-Gruesome ... 43ac9cf33a

January 31st, 2012, 4:08 am #4

Thanks Richard for the ebay tip. I was surprised at the selling price, given the lack of fame for these characters.

Lance, the ad was in Daredevil #13. I scanned it, but will have to re-read how to post images on the site.

January 31st, 2012, 4:21 am #5

Paul, Thanks for the tip. If you need a hand posting the image, feel free to forward it to my e-mail and I will get it up for you.

January 31st, 2012, 6:29 pm #6

This is a complete set of the cards. Unfortunely all have had the coupon
cut off.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

January 31st, 2012, 7:50 pm #7

There are three cards listed on the ad: Rocky X, Simpy Smith and The Vacuum. Does anybody know if these exist?

April 14th, 2012, 11:28 pm #8

Just found the original ad for these cards. This two page spread is from
BOY comic number 70, Oct. 1951.
I cropped the pages to show larger scans of the cards.
Ken

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

April 15th, 2012, 3:52 am #9

I think there are actually 2 different sets of these cards. One has the coupon on the bottom and the other one does not. I have some of each set and twelve of the cards are the same in each set and the other three are completely different cards. Also some of the colors are different on some of the cards (green hat, brown hat, blue sky, yellow sky, etc.) and the words are in different places on the two sets. I would be glad to send some pictures, but don't know how.

Mike

April 15th, 2012, 4:01 am #10

Mike, if you want to send the photos or scans to me, I will get them posted for you.