February pickups

February 5th, 2017, 12:31 am #11

I have a few more things coming in, but I'll start the month off. I'm not sure where all these R141s are coming from, but I'm very happy to have my set complete. I scanned against a black background in case Dan wanted to replace the gallery image for the Welsh Guard.

Not a bad start to the month at all since I never really envisioned that I'd ever complete this set a year or two ago.
Rhett and Chris, Marty Krim is the back expert on E123 as far as I know. I believe that there are at least three different back variations. Maybe Marty can post here when he has a chance.

February 5th, 2017, 4:05 am #12

I have a few more things coming in, but I'll start the month off. I'm not sure where all these R141s are coming from, but I'm very happy to have my set complete. I scanned against a black background in case Dan wanted to replace the gallery image for the Welsh Guard.

Not a bad start to the month at all since I never really envisioned that I'd ever complete this set a year or two ago.
Rhett, huge hauls two months in a row!, you must need an addition to the house by now

I've been focused on collecting pre-ATC merger redemption coupons and now cigarette packs. I like to collect all things Goodwin & Co. as well as the manufacturers that competed against them circa 1886-1890. The following packs are courtesy Joe L. (eBay ID 419zanzibar69) & Jon Canfield, thank you both! These join several other Goodwin & SF Hess packs.

The search for pre-ATC merger coupons and packs of all types continue.

February 5th, 2017, 4:16 am #13

Todd - Love the "Decalcomania" Tip-Top Bread cards. A little searching on the web shows that Meyercord began doing the German originated process here in the U.S.A. around 1893, and quickly built a profitable business. Obviously, Decal is the short version of Decalcomania. I don't know when your cards were made, but they are very cool. They do look 1930's. - Jack J.

February 5th, 2017, 1:40 pm #14

if you are compulsive - there are at least 3 of that particular Virginia brights box with different "crop of....." designations

I have not forgotten your note

February 5th, 2017, 3:25 pm #15

Hey Henry, obsessive compulsive?, not me

I've noted not only the different crops, but even within a given crop there are many variations (you may have a better handle on this than I). The "Crop of 1885" for example has at least 3 variations. I'm beginning to wonder if they purposely made small changes between every print run (every 100,000 or 1,000,000 boxes) on purpose.

Here are three "Crop of 1885" variations all with tax stamp overprints from 1888.

Feb 14 1888 - 1st line art variation right of "Crop of 1885", 1st design at top of pack, no box manufacturer listed on slide and shell

June 26 1888 - 2nd line art variation right of "Crop of 1885", 2nd design at top of pack, no box manufacturer listed on slide and shell

Dec 18 1888 - 2nd line art variation right of "Crop of 1885", 3rd design at top of pack, Munson & Co. box maker on both slide and shell

I've only listed some of the changes between these three packs, there are others upon close examination.

I wish there were more 19th century pack survivors to better document the variations, many are lost to time.

February 7th, 2017, 11:09 pm #16

I added these cards to my "collector grade" set, down to SIX more cards! Still need #15 #19 #22 #27 #49 #52
Larry

February 7th, 2017, 11:37 pm #17

Larry,
Even "collector grade" Mars Attacks cards look cool! That #21 looks like it went through an actual Martian invasion - sweet!

February 8th, 2017, 5:30 am #18

Lots of great stuff in this thread. I love those N60's, Rhett.

I was able to rescue 3 N127 Sea Captains who had been shipwrecked off the UK for 125 years.

Last edited by bill.cornell on February 8th, 2017, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 8th, 2017, 1:11 pm #19

Larry,
I have couple MARS ATTACKS on your list. Contact me at spark929@yahoo.com and I'll scan them for you.
Thanks,
Joe

February 8th, 2017, 1:13 pm #20

Nice sea captains Bill.......that's a set I need to put to bed. I have about 12-14 of the 25 and just keep putting it on the back burner. I did the N124 Candidate set and I'm about 70% done on the N114 Generals. There's just too much out there to collect. Glad to see you posting some!